Login / Register

Achieve a very liquid phaser type sound (example provided)
New Reply
Subscribe
Jaycee
27th September 2010
Old 27th September 2010
Gear interested

Achieve a very liquid phaser type sound (example provided)

Hi,
it's been a few years now I've been trying to get a very watery type of phaser effect. I have bought a few phasers such as the Mutron Biphase, moogerfooger phaser, the old racked moog MKPH phaser and still havent managed to produce the sound I'm after.I've uploaded a file with 4 extracts which seem to all have the same effect I'm after. It does sound to me like some kind of phaser but mine do sound quite far away from it. I'm even doubting if it's even a phaser at all or something else that would produce it? (flanger? leslie?)

I'm guessing it's some old analog gear, some vintage guitar effect...

I've uploaded a file with 4 extracts which seem to all have the same effect on a lead synth, any insight would be appreciated !
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 phasing.mp3 (1.29 MB, 98 views)
27th September 2010
Old 27th September 2010
cork sniffer

auto-filter
27th September 2010
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

The first one has a pretty high resonance. I agree, it sounds like more than you can get out of a biphase or moogerfooger. Since it's on a synthesizer, I'll take a guess that it could be a BP filter driven by a triangle wave, rather than a dedicated phaser.

The last one sounds like a talk box with an envelope filter. I find it annoying.

It would be cool to find out what they are. I love a good phaser.
Jaycee
28th September 2010
Old 28th September 2010
Gear interested

Yeah I understand it being annoying, the first three are from a guy making mostly experimental stuff.

As for a bandpass, I have a few analog synths and when controlling the filters with voltage I never get such a liquid sound if you see what I mean. It does sound a bit like a formant filter on some notes...
My first guesses were that it was a lush phaser controlled with an external voltage, but it didnt seem to be that when I tried it with the few phasers I have.
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
The last one sounds like a talk box with an envelope filter.

The Ensoniq samplers and rack FX had that "formant" effect 0 sounded exactly like that - very cool

-

The freebie Kjaerhus "classic" VST phaser can get the sound in the first one
::
twitter > http://twitter.com/mitchellmusic - http://www.twitter.com/theyardbirds
2nd October 2010
Old 2nd October 2010
Lives for gear

No question, it's NOT a phaser. There's too much of that "pukey" sound you get from increasing the resonance around the filter point. So, what you need is a filter with an LFO, triangle wave, resonance set tastefully, probably low-pass but with the center frequency fairly high. Almost any synth, and things like the MF LPF will do this for you.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search