Benefits of 2x12 over 1x12 for Recording
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

Benefits of 2x12 over 1x12 for Recording

Is there any? I mean how are you going to stick one mic into two speakers?

If you're playing live, okay, ante up right? That is, as much as you can muster. But for recording...?

Doesn't it make more sense to have one 12 than two?
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

For me, I have a 2x12 loaded with two different speakers. I'll jam one mic on one speaker and one mic on another. I have a '66 Twin w/ one JBL and, for recording, I'll put a Tone Tubby on the other side. The JBLs are very bright/trebly so I'll often put an MD421 on it. The Tone Tubbies are smoother without the trebly brittleness and sound great w/ an SM57, SM7B, AKG 414, etc.

Personally I find it easier to get around phasing issues also by mic'ing both speakers. I'm pretty new at the double mic'ing though so I could be wrong with all of this.
Old 12th March 2010
has all the gear he needs

I like two 12" combos.......right now it's Classic 30 and Pro Jr. (oops....that's a 12" and a 10").

I'm a sucker for the texture of two different tones.

I guess you could make a case for a 2x12 close mic'd on one speaker and then hitting a room mic for ambient goodness.

Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Is there any? I mean how are you going to stick one mic into two speakers?
Oh, and just thought of this - a lot of folks dual mic the amp (myself included) so it isn't "one mic, two speakers". I dual mic a 1x12 combo as well.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hmmm

Sounds like something to consider then for sure. The next question for a dual jack scenario.

I'd like the ability to be able to do one speaker or both.

I always thought that micing two speakers side by side would promote phasing issues, but I guess that's not the case?

Thanks guys!
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
I always thought that micing two speakers side by side would promote phasing issues, but I guess that's not the case?
Oh sure - huge consideration. Proper mic placement and 20-90 minutes twiddling with placement/gain will eliminate it though (I'm still at the "gaining experience" stage here though so be careful listening to me!). I mic with a variety of mics depending on the sounds that I'm trying to capture. I've probably put in about 20 hours over the past month doing tests on placements, phasing, combinations, etc. After putting in the time, I have a few generalizations that I can go with that save me time (i.e. which mics capture which sound in which placement).
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Larger cabinets sound different to smaller cabinets.

Depends on what you are shooting for, but the difference is a lot less than, say, speaker choice, amplifier, guitar etc.
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Larger cabinets sound different to smaller cabinets.

Depends on what you are shooting for, but the difference is a lot less than, say, speaker choice, amplifier, guitar etc.

Interesting. Sounds like diversification is more in the tools than the size.

But I do know what you mean. An 18" will sound a lot difference than a 10" or even more perverse, my pocket amp. :P
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

more bass resonance from the cabinet picked up. the end result can be a little more full sounding. I always prefer micing a 2x12 over a 4x12 or 1x12. Seems the happy medium.
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
more bass resonance from the cabinet picked up. the end result can be a little more full sounding. I always prefer micing a 2x12 over a 4x12 or 1x12. Seems the happy medium.
I'm building a multi-speaker cab set-up and have a Dual Showman 2x15" cabinet that I'm probably going to use as my low-end. I'll probably use the Fender or my Music Man amp for that.

The 12"ers are probably going to be used for more detailed crunchiness.

My biggest debate now is going for 2 12"s for as you say, one body, or just 2 1x12"s so I can run two amps instead of one simultaneously for layering.

Right now I'm leaning towards that option for flexibility, but not totally decided yet.
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

I play a lot of solo gigs and record solo stuff. Once of the nice things about the 2x12 cab for my use is that I can play "in stereo" - 2x12 combo on one side of stage and the 2x12 cab on the other. Mic'ing is difficult though - I usually won't do that for recording as two mics on one cab (and sometimes also DI) is enough to deal with.

Having said that it occurs to me that I just ordered a 1x12 combo... Maybe I need a matching 1x12 cab
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
I play a lot of solo gigs and record solo stuff. Once of the nice things about the 2x12 cab for my use is that I can play "in stereo" - 2x12 combo on one side of stage and the 2x12 cab on the other. Mic'ing is difficult though - I usually won't do that for recording as two mics on one cab (and sometimes also DI) is enough to deal with.

Having said that it occurs to me that I just ordered a 1x12 combo... Maybe I need a matching 1x12 cab
Yeah, I'm re-amping and that sounds a little..woah! Okay! If it's pulled off, cool but I'm splitting to 3-4 amps right now.

My biggest thing is amp diversity for stereo speakers. I think my buddy and I are going to mod a 2x12 to go linear or parallel with a double insert/cut-off inputs and sum the signal in one out.

Same speakers of course as using two different ones would be again, woah! Look out! More options. Yikes.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search