Login / Register

Is it worth reconing my Celestion Greybacks?
New Reply
Subscribe
Jigsaw314
25th February 2010
Old 25th February 2010
Gear interested

Is it worth reconing my Celestion Greybacks?

I have a closed back angle 4x12 cabinet which has been in storage for some years. I am about to get rid of it as I no longer use it and I am wondering whether to sell it 'as is' or whether its worth fixing it.
It contains 4 x Celestion 'greybacks' (see pics) which appear to be from Dec 12 1973. Unfortunately one of the cones has a tear in it since I took it out of storage, but otherwise they sounded pretty good last time they made some noise. I think they are recones anyway as they don't have any markings or serial number on them. How much does it cost to recone a speaker, and will that money come back to me if I reconed all 4 speakers and sold the whole working cabinet?? I know these aren't the celestions that people wet themselves over but are they still worth something??
Cheers

1st March 2010
Old 1st March 2010
Gear maniac

Greybacks are awesome. Use a mirror to look at the rear of each cone, in behind the magnet. If you see a small single digit '3' or '4' stamped in white ink then you have an original pulsonic cone... very desirable. Do not recone.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search