epiphone valve senior vs Rebel 20?
New Reply
Subscribe
avianerr
27th January 2010
Old 27th January 2010
Gear interested

epiphone valve senior vs Rebel 20?

Has anyone compared these two? i'm planning on getting the epiphone cabinet regardless since it's gotten so many raving reviews for the money. Can anyone chime in on either? I'm really only wanting a clean tone, and wanting my pedals ot dirty up the sound.
28th January 2010
Old 28th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avianerr View Post
Has anyone compared these two? i'm planning on getting the epiphone cabinet regardless since it's gotten so many raving reviews for the money. Can anyone chime in on either? I'm really only wanting a clean tone, and wanting my pedals ot dirty up the sound.
I tried the egnator and bought the valve senior. Overall, the egnator *might* be a better amp but it didn't quite float my boat. To me, it had a nice clean at low volumes but higher gain made it real fizzy (IMO). Also, I didn't find all that much difference between the power tube sets (mix). Additionally, the ability to drop the overall wattage didn't do as much as I thought it would / should.

The Epiphone is not perfect either. The tube reverb is really questionable as it rings on forever (I did use it for recording by putting it through a joemeek and compressing the snot out of it). The tone controls, while they are a huge improvement over the valve jr, don't do a whole lot. The bass gives it a low end thud reminiscent of a closed back cab (kinda nice but a little goes a long way). The mid gives the amp it's tonal voicing. I don't really use the treble - for me, it makes the amp too bright. I like to substitute the presence for treble/ chime. By keeping he gain fairly low, you can get a real decent clean volume out of it. I've been driving it with a tubescreamer for more "overdriven" tones. The gain on the valve senior can get a little hairy as well but the interaction between tone and volume settings really affects the way the gain sounds.

I have some pretty good amps already and I just needed something reliable, portable and medium low wattage (and cheap) for a few side projects I'm involved with (but not too heavily committed to). I really wanted to like the egnator with all of the interesting features but the features didn't seem to deliver as much as they promised (especially the power tube mix). Especially for $600.

Another amp of the same *class* I checked out was the Marshall haze. It wasn't bad at all from what I remembered. As I already own a Marshall, I wanted something different. The senior fits the niche that I needed it for. It's not the end all of end all but an affordable workhorse (pack mule). Did I mention that it can get really loud?

I will add that the senior is not a "modern" sounding amp. If you liked nothing about the valve jr, you might not like this amp either (even though it has FAR more sound possibilities).
30th January 2010
Old 30th January 2010
Gear Guru

FWIW and YMMV:

I have an Eganter Rebel 20 into an Orange 1x12 cab - love it. Haven't used a valve snr - so can't compare. I really like the flexibility. Lotsa a good tone but I don't think it would be the pick for high gain nu-metal type stuff - I dont play that kind of stuff so I wouldn't really know.

I play clean and sorta dirty jangle rock and shoegaze and for that it's awesome.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search