EMG pickups Power supply instead of Battery ???
Old 20th December 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Immersion's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
EMG pickups Power supply instead of Battery ???

Hello,

I use EMG 808 Pickups, I am impressed by the sound, but I can't deal with the battery changes,
and the fact I have to unplug the guitar cable each time I put the guitar down... I find it very irritating to have to unplug/plugin in the guitar all the time.
Also I find it hard to know and hear when it is time to change the battery, cause the sound is weakening gradually.. which I do not like, I want the power to
be 100% all the time.

I wonder, is their any simple solutions that would let me use an power supply instead of battery ?
Old 24th December 2009
  #2
Gear Head
 

Why dont you just build a switch in?
So you don't need to unplug the guitar everytime you put it down and just flick the switch to disengage the battery.
Also, afaik EMGs don't pull too much power, so it would be overkill to build in phantom power imho.

cheers,
Mario
Old 24th December 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jimcroisdale's Avatar
 

Perhaps you could wire up two 9V batteries in parallel? This would double the battery life and ease any worries you might have.

Jim
Old 26th December 2009
  #4
with EMG's batteries last a long time ... just unplug the guitar when not in use and you'll be ok
Old 26th December 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Pasta4lnch's Avatar
I always wondered why someone doesnt develop a fantom power-esque set up for active instruments... seems to make sense. w/ pedals and all I wouldnt mind having a power supply on my pedal board to not have to worry about a battery.

but what do I know I play passive instruments
Old 30th December 2009
  #6
Gear addict
 
nbarts's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta4lnch View Post
I always wondered why someone doesnt develop a fantom power-esque set up for active instruments... seems to make sense. w/ pedals and all I wouldnt mind having a power supply on my pedal board to not have to worry about a battery.

but what do I know I play passive instruments
Because it takes helluva lot time with instruments, it practically makes no sense. I've had guitars with EMGs with the same batteries for a couple of years. My current EMG equipped bass has had the same batteries for a year now, no problems.If you always forget to unplug the cord, like the poster above said, add a switch on your axe.
Old 30th December 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Immersion's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thanks for your replies, I think yo install an power switch might be the best solution.
I would also like a red lamp installed, which will indicate when the batteries is not 100%. I hope they are able to do this in my local guitar store.
Old 30th December 2009
  #8
Gear addict
 
Raider's Avatar
 

I have a switch, but then I've had the same battery for about 5 years.
It's not a biggy.
Old 30th December 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Batteries will also sound better. And it is very easy to make a habit of checking the batteries with a cheap DC volt meter once a month or so if you want to be certain. Then you can change the battery when it gets below 8 VDC or any other arbitrary amount you want. Anything over 8 volts is gravy.
Old 30th December 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Immersion's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Batteries will also sound better. And it is very easy to make a habit of checking the batteries with a cheap DC volt meter once a month or so if you want to be certain. Then you can change the battery when it gets below 8 VDC or any other arbitrary amount you want. Anything over 8 volts is gravy.
The problem is on my Ibanez, it is a hassle to get into the battery hatch. You have to unscrew some screws... I wish it was easier to get into the hatch.. and if I know myself I will not check every month, All I want is to pick up the guitar and play, and not need to worry about the battery at all. And I would really prefer if they did design the pickups to not work at all if the power is below 9V, as it is now the sound gets weaker and weaker gradually. And since it happens gradually it is also harder to notice it, and you begin compensate the sound on your amp..add more compression etc to get a stronger sound.
Old 8th January 2010
  #11
Gear maniac
 

Two 9v batteries will not last you any longer than one, but it will give you the improved headroom that 18v provides, which I suggest with any EMG anyway.

I don't see what the big deal is with unplugging your guitar when you're done with it, you could just as easily forget to flip the switch to turn it off and drain your batteries that way. An led would also be counter productive in my opinion, as you're powering a bulb with the same battery thats supposed to be powering your pickups.

I got into the habit of unplugging my guitar when I'm finished and I haven't used EMG pickups in 8 years or so. It's a good habit and it helps with pedals as well.
Old 8th January 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Two 9v batteries will not last you any longer than one, but it will give you the improved headroom that 18v provides, which I suggest with any EMG anyway.
Thats if its wired in series (just connect the black wire off one battery to the red of the next, its what i do fwiw) if its wired in parallel (black to black red to red) will give you double the current, so its drawing half the current off each battery, thus longer life because the load is shared.
Old 8th January 2010
  #13
Gear maniac
 

Okay, I guess I didnt take in parallel vs series wiring...

Regardless, the OP wouldnt have this problem if he dumped the EMGs for passives
Old 8th January 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Dr. Mordo's Avatar
 

I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY FRIED EQUIPMENT.

Yes, I think you could wire in a power supply. You'd wire in a stereo jack, run the power up the 3rd contact of a stereo cable. You'd have an extra stompbox that was just a mono jack that went out the amp, a stereo jack that ran to the guitar, and a dc plug for a wallwart. Wire the ground of the wallwort to ground, then the positive from the wallwart to the center prong of the stereo jack. Then inside your guitar, wire the power wire of the circuit to the center prong of the stereo jack.

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS, YOU MAY FRY A PICKUP, AND I'D TRY IT WITH A CRAP AMP BEFORE I HOOKED IT UP TO MY DUMBLE (I don't actually have a Dumble).

But I'm pretty sure it'll work. It'd be important to be certain to use a stereo chord every time, or you'll melt the wallwort.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
danbronson / So much gear, so little time!
15
plaid_emu / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
thephatboi / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
dapinkobo / So much gear, so little time!
4

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.