Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So many guitars, so little time! (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/)
-   -   new acoustic guitar strings? (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/410610-new-acoustic-guitar-strings.html)

telesandtwins 1st August 2009 12:44 AM

new acoustic guitar strings?

i'm looking for some suggestions for trying some new guitar strings. i've been using ernie ball earthwoods and i'm looking for mabye a string that isnt so bright and tinny right off the bat. something a little mellower if that makes sense. any and all suggestions would be great.....they would be strung on a guild25 dreadnaught if that helps.

thanks a lot!
Pete

Robert Alger 9th August 2009 02:02 AM

Thomastik-Infeld strings

I like the Spectrum bronze series.

peachh

Old Goat 11th August 2009 12:06 AM

I like Martin Marquis, but I'm using Elixirs right now because they last so long and kill finger noise. They are not tinny at all. If you want darker still, try DR Strings Vintage Bronze. They were too dark on my D-25, but you might like them.yingyang

mbrebes 19th August 2009 08:34 PM

I use the Earthwoods on some of my guitars. For something a little mellower with a good tone, try the D'Addario phosphor bronze strings. Not as bright as Earthwoods and keep their original tone much longer.

3waytie4last 29th August 2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Alger (Post 4457329)
Thomastik-Infeld strings

I like the Spectrum bronze series.

peachh

True dat!

kafka 29th August 2009 04:44 PM

Ernie Ball strings are about the only brand that I don't like - specifically because of the tinny sound. I'm sure they're fine for some people.

Personally, I love John Pearse strings. My favorite are the Phosphor Bronze strings. I play an OM, mostly fingerstyle, so I'm good with the Light and Slightly Light. For a D sized guitar, I'd go with the Lights, Bluegrass, or Mediums. The latter two might be a little chunky for you if you're looking for something more mellow. In that case, try the Phosphor Bronze & Silk's. They're similar to silk & steel's, but they sound more correct.

doncaparker 30th August 2009 07:13 PM

First off, keep in mind that a lot of the smaller string brands are just re-branded strings made by the larger companies. I used to have something that showed who made what, but I can't seem to find it. Just be aware that some of these boutique strings are normal strings in really nice packaging.

For guitar strings that start out less bright, you might want to look into coated strings. They are not as bright at the beginning as regular bronze strings, but they hold their tone longer (due to the coating).

I've become fond of the Martin Extended Life SP+ strings. They are coated, they sound good, they stay sounding good longer than uncoated strings, and if you buy them in quantity you can get them relatively cheap.

MindRiot 30th August 2009 08:48 PM

Acoustic strings...

I've been playing with Elixir strings for years, ever since I bought my first Taylor and they came stock. My local music store stopped selling them for about a year in '07 and I almost went postal. The Nanoweb/Polyweb coating (like other brands as well) gives the string a mellower sound that will not fade after a few days of use (like the brighter, non-treated ones). I've turned so many people on to them that I should be getting kickbacks...or at least a free set.

Elixir all the way! kfhkh

WorldOfStrings 8th February 2010 08:39 PM

Don't be araid to use heavier strings! Light strings tend to bizarrely emphasize the upper midrange, while heavier strings offer more of the note's fundamental tone. D'Addario makes a great 80/20 bronze acoustic guitar string that is mellower in tone than standard phosphor bronze. They also offer Flat Tops which are flatwound bronze strings.

connormusic 31st January 2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telesandtwins (Post 4432132)
i'm looking for some suggestions for trying some new guitar strings. i've been using ernie ball earthwoods and i'm looking for mabye a string that isnt so bright and tinny right off the bat. something a little mellower if that makes sense. any and all suggestions would be great.....they would be strung on a guild25 dreadnaught if that helps.

thanks a lot!
Pete

I personally use John pearse strings for more mellow or warmer sounds they work awesome depending on what gauge you use hope it helps !

Igotsoul4u 8th February 2011 05:14 AM

DR's are my go to for all my string instruments. I also had elixers that lasted forever but felt stiff. Reds have also been getting good feedback from people i know.

Ron Vogel 8th February 2011 05:52 AM

I used to use Martin's on my Martin...however I recently tried the Daddario bluegrass on it, and LOVE them. Perfect balance for my acoustic.

However, strings are so personal...all you can really do is try a few sets to see what fits.