Login / Register

Orange tiny terror - good for punk rock/ska?
New Reply
Subscribe
jtjtjt
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Gear interested

Orange tiny terror - good for punk rock/ska?

I'm looking for a used amp to record and play small shows with. I think the tiny terror is going to be the one, but I just have a couple of questions before I make any purchases.

So I'm into a lot of the 90s rock music. Offspring, weezer, sublime, nirvana, etc. I'm recording an album with that style of music and I also bought a few pedals (still waiting for the boss tu-2 to arrive :P) Check it out -

I play a fat strat and use a princeton reverb reissue amp which sounds great for clean tones, but when I apply the turbo distortion pedal, it sucks. I just want a nice distortion that does palm muting well too. Do you guys know if the tiny terror takes guitar pedals well? I know the amp has some good tones by itself, but a lot of my songs go from clean to distortion, so I need some kind of foot switch. By the way, I'm thinking about getting the 1x12 combo. I'm sure it would be cool to use different cabs, but I'm broke and really can only afford to spend around $600. I have to sell my guild gad-25 acoustic guitar just to get this amp :(
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Gear addict

They're good if you want head distortion. Portable, sound nice, good unit. And when the tubes go, you can get better ones and it's better again!
jtjtjt
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Gear interested

you know what? I've been reading up on the tiny terror combo amp a little bit more and it sounds like it needs a bass boost for the stuff I want to do, like palm muting. I guess I'll have to find another pedal, ughhh :P
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

orange amps are very bright... you may want to look into a fuzz pedal if you want something darker.

Springload - Juice Rock
Tremor Christ Pearl Jam Tribute

Shouldn't you be practicing?
jtjtjt
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Gear interested

Man I just don't know what to do anymore. I just want a nice small tube amp that I can afford. Maybe the fender blues jr would suit my needs better? Gah.. if you guys have any other recommendations, i'd love to hear. thanks
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

the bj can get very 'barky' on a lot of stuff, but punky ska tones are well within range. think mute barre chord stuff - it laps that up. goes very well with p90's - never tried singles. there's a vintage re-issue with a jensen speaker and some NOS in position 1/2 - i'd go 2nd hand then upgrade along those lines - it's a great tone to have

i tend to use my tt for more voxey cleans than the high gain stuff. it sounds f*ucking monster. my mate ran his tele through it and........................... stike yowza stike

all rounder - i'd go tt
5th April 2009
Old 5th April 2009
Gear maniac

Are you going to use the Tiny Terror for dirties along with the Princeton for cleans? I think the Tiny Terror is great for the bands you've mentioned. It's not going to do the low end "chunk" or "chug" thing like a higher power Marshall will, but I don't think you'll need that for those bands. And keep in mind that you'll loose some low end punch with an open backed combo over a head with a closed back cabinet. But if you're not keeping the Princeton then I don't know if the TT will be clean enough for you.

As far as pedals, yeah that Boss Turbo Distortion straight into your Princeton isn't going to do it. This is where things get complicated, but I find the best way to get good distortion sounds through a clean amp is to stack pedals. Generally a boost into a distortion is good. You'll need to play with the EQ on each, you may need to shave a lot of the bass off the first pedal, and roll off the treble on the next, that sort of thing. Another thing that can be a great help is to have an EQ pedal after the distortion. The thing with running a distortion into an amp is that the way the amp is set to sound good clean maybe very different than how you would set it to sound good with a pedal in front.

Anyway, in order to get all these pedals on and off at the same time you can get a looper. You put them all in a loop and leave them on all the time, and then simply step on one switch to engage the loop when you want the dirty sound. You can get one with a couple loops and put other FX in there as well. This looper can also have the added benefit of being true bypass, so those tone sucking pedals aren't affecting your clean sound.
jtjtjt
5th April 2009
Old 5th April 2009
Gear interested

Wow, great advice.. thanks guys!

So I've decided to hold up on buying the tiny terror. Maybe when I have enough money, I'll even buy a bigger cab to get that better sound.

I've been messing around today and honestly, my ds-2 pedal sounds decent enough through the princeton. At least better than the line 6 spider amp I had haha. I think for this album I'm recording, which has songs with both clean and crunch tones, I'll use the princeton reverb reissue amp. If it just doesn't fit in the mix, I guess I'll have to use guitar rig
5th April 2009
Old 5th April 2009
Lives for gear

Fender amps typically take pedals really well.
19th April 2009
Old 19th April 2009
Gear nut

I just picked one up today and it's amazing. I compared to to the Orange AD-30, and Rocker 30 and prefered it over both actually.

The distortion it provides will be great for punk rock, BUT might get in the way of the horns if you're doing ska. Also...not the cleanest amp in the world for ska.
21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago
Don't ever believe what people say
Quote:
Behringer is fine as long as it works. Tad Donely
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search