Warehouse Guitar Speakers - Celestion clones?
Stitch333
3rd February 2008
Old 3rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Warehouse Guitar Speakers - Celestion clones?

I stumbled across these Celestion clones recently as I'm putting together a cab for a couple of recording projects. I wanted a 4x12 with 2 x veteran 30s in an 'X' with 2 x G12h30s to fill out the bass. I seriously thought I was going to have to actually save for a while to fill the cab with the speakers I wanted but then I ran across the WGS website. The Veteran 30's fit the bill but they had no gh30 replacements...until I found their new speaker that is coming out in 3 weeks, the reaper. A drop in replacement for gh30.

The price is right, assembled in America, and (after a little research) found a few positive mentions round the web so I called up David at WGS. Very cool guy and hooked me up with a couple of the first of the new reaper speakers.
They, and 2 veterans, are on the way.

I'm always psyked to put buzz to the test, but has anyone around here have any feedback about these speakers?
3rd February 2008
Old 3rd February 2008
Lives for gear

I've got a couple lead 80 clones in a 2x12...sounds great. IF the prices don't keep going up they'll be the best value in speakers that I'm aware of.
3rd February 2008
Old 3rd February 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

take a look at eminence. They are much better than celestions these days
Stitch333
3rd February 2008
Old 3rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
I've got a couple lead 80 clones in a 2x12...sounds great. IF the prices don't keep going up they'll be the best value in speakers that I'm aware of.
sorry for uping the buzz and, consequently, probably the price

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
I was looking at the red fangs but the price point pushed me away.
+ a few of those I've talked with have said that the WGS actually sound more like the original Rola speakers, than new Celestions as far as eq curve, break-up, etc.
Also, I believe the new Celestions are completely manufactured in China where as, from what I've been reading, the WGS parts are manufactured elsewhere but then assembled here in the US.
3rd February 2008
Old 3rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Red Fangs would be equivalent to the Alnico blues... the warehouse ones aren't cheap for those either - about the same as a red fang.
4th February 2008
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
This from the guy who doesn't like Telecasters...how can anyone take your opinion seriously if you don't like Teles?

It's true that Celestions are made in China now, but that's what make WGS speakers such a great value, American made, fair price, great sounding speakers. I'd like a pair of each of their models in my cabs...
Stitch333
4th February 2008
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Red Fangs would be equivalent to the Alnico blues... the warehouse ones aren't cheap for those either - about the same as a red fang.
True on the price, but I was under the impression that the red fangs were a supposed to be more like the gh30's then the blue's with growl and bass, from reading a bunch of user feedback...I know "internet opinions", but thats all the information I have access to right now to help me choose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
American made, fair price, great sounding speakers...
Thats pretty much what sold me. That and their great customer service, I was on the fence til I talked with David at GWS.
Wes, you say "for the price" in your description. If there was no limit and I wanted the sound of 2xvintage30's and 2xgh30's, what would be at the top of the food chain for speakers?
4th February 2008
Old 4th February 2008
Lives for gear

No price limit? I'm a BIG fan of Weber speakers. I put them in all the amps I build, because they're built one at a time, to my specs, and I know they're a perfect fit for each amp. I'm not as discerning for most of my personal cabs for a couple reasons, #1 being I play mostly punk rock, and high end speakers are simply not necessary for rough and rowdy, drunken music. That and I don't want beer and puke spilled on em. But just from a tone perspective, I'd take a Weber over anything out there.

All that aside, WGS speakers are the best bang-for-the-buck out there, and will sound great with almost any amp.
4th February 2008
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Head

I have 4 of the cl-80 clones in one of my randall cabs and I think it sounds awesome. Its a little smoother sounding than my hellatone 60L loaded cab. Same quality in sound, just different! excellent product, I highly recommend them!
4th February 2008
Old 4th February 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

when I was in highschool in the late 70's early 80's if you didn't
have a marshall cab with celestions you weren't cool!!!

But seriously in the 60's-80's celestions were arguably the best speaker for rock guitars. Back then you would buy eminence if you couldn't afford Celestions.

Anyway 2 years ago I bought a 2x12 from Avatar with vintage 30's. When he shipped it he screwed up and sent 2 eminence by accident. I had no idea at first. When I plugged in I was like wow these sound better than my real vintage 30's from the 60's which I think are actually 30 watts. I ended opening the cab up one day and was shocked to see they were not vintage 30's but Eminence legends

I still like my vintage celestion 30's and greenbacks but the new ones are not as good as the oldies
Eminence makes some good stuff. But like all companies I'm sure they have some crap too
Stitch333
5th February 2008
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
when I was in highschool in the late 70's early 80's if you didn't
have a marshall cab with celestions you weren't cool!!!

But seriously in the 60's-80's celestions were arguably the best speaker for rock guitars. Back then you would buy eminence if you couldn't afford Celestions.

Anyway 2 years ago I bought a 2x12 from Avatar with vintage 30's. When he shipped it he screwed up and sent 2 eminence by accident. I had no idea at first. When I plugged in I was like wow these sound better than my real vintage 30's from the 60's which I think are actually 30 watts. I ended opening the cab up one day and was shocked to see they were not vintage 30's but Eminence legends

I still like my vintage celestion 30's and greenbacks but the new ones are not as good as the oldies
Eminence makes some good stuff. But like all companies I'm sure they have some crap too
Hey Allen, Have you heard the Warehouse Guitar speakers to be able to really compare?
Just curious about hands on comparisions.
Cause checking out prices, if the WGS come anywhere near the hype (especially about being a lot closer to original Celestions timbre than anything else) the bang for the buck ratio is pretty hard to ignore...

Hey Wes, on a side note, I was checking out the Weber handwired amp kits. Have you ever messed with one of those?
Stitch333
7th February 2008
Old 7th February 2008
Lives for gear

So the speakers came today! I almost needed a dolly to move them from the front door to the bench. They added about 30lbs to the cab.
Now, to start burning them in...

I'll post a response (and hopefully a sound clip) when I can get my amp back from the stu down the road...

Thanks again everyone who chimed in!
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
So what happened with these speakers? Are they any good? Or was it all just a bunch of marketing hype. I've got a couple 2 12"s cabs that need new speakers and thought these might be a cost effective alternative.
Please elaborate.

Thanks
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
Lives for gear

I have a WGS Green Beret and Veteran 30 - both are excellent speakers, especially for the money; I prefer the Green Beret for my main cab (an Avatar 1x12 closed back), which I mostly use with my Heritage Victory head or Orange Tiny Terror.

- Chris
3rd March 2008
Old 3rd March 2008
Gear interested

Yep the WGS are killer! I bought 4 of the Veteran 30's back when they were still $20 a speaker and have compared them to the Celestion V30's and they dfegadon the the Celestion versions IMO, its like they they took the Celestion v30's and improved it. The celestions got drop kicked right out the door....
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

I've been a fan of WGS for a while now. I currently have 4 cabs with different types of warehouse speakers. I like all of them. I have two cabs with the British Leads, one with the Green Berets, and another with the veteran 30s. If you are looking for cabs LopoLine are the best... imo.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search