Alvarez 5038
New Reply
Subscribe
Old Goat
13th January 2008
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Alvarez 5038

My wife picked up this little maple guitar at a pawnshop for me. I haven't been able to find much about it except a couple of posts on the Alvarez message board. It's called the Blonde Balladeer, claims to be handmade, in Japan. Any fellow acoustic slutz have a bit to add? I'm just curious. It sounds pretty good, but kinda thin next to my Guild D-25. Thanks.

Better a crust in peace than a banquet in a house of contention

"Be careful chasing Unicorns..." -tINY
27th January 2008
Old 27th January 2008
Gear nut

I owned a Guild D-25M for many years and did a lot of recording with it. I think you'll find almost every acoustic guitar you encounter will sound thin in comparison except for the Guild D-50 or D-55 jumbo. It's an unusually warm, sweet, sustained sound and found it necessary to roll off the bass to eliminate boominess, to varying degrees, depending on the situation.
Old Goat
31st January 2008
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, I aways roll off a little, more if I'm mixing with a bassline. It has a little twang in the G string. I reached in and sanded all the ribs and joints smooth and that helped, but I can still hear it. Of course, I'm the only one who's ever commented on it...

Guess the Alvarez isn't very noteworthy.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search