Best all around low cost electric guitar
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

Best all around low cost electric guitar

I'm not a real guitar player (drummer by trade). I use guitars for composing, rhythm, sound textures for my tracks. Anyway, I have a suitable acoustic. I also have an old Gibson ES-125 archtop. Very nice full classic Gibson sound. Through Logic and Amplitube, I can pretty much dial in any type of sound (start, bles,etc). The archtop is bulky and has a few intonation problems as you move up the next closer to body. Anyway...it has served me well. I thought of an Epiphone Les Paul...but I already have a Gibson. Maybe a low end strat or tele? Low end PRS? I'm not big on Jackson's Charvelle's etc. Please help...I would like a jack of all trades on the cheap (under $600).
Old 27th December 2007
Gear addict

you're going to have to decide if you want single coils or HBs. those are the most fundamentally different guitar sounds. After that it's mostly the amp that gives the flavor. Fender deluxe, twin, bassman or Marshall/Vox/Orange etc are the other big choices. Of course there are many many options in guitars and amps. I'm still refining my guitar/amp/pedal combo and I've been playing 7 years now.

If you want beautiful clean, twangy, surfy, reverb, clean sound I would go with a fender guitar and a fender amp. If you're going for a rock sound, I would go with HBs and a british style amp. Personally I like playing out of a real amp...

I'd get a MIJ strat or older squire, tele or jaguar/jazzmaster. Then change the pickups if it's not to your liking. But I play surfy, vintagey pop rock stuff so that's how I sound. I have a vox ac30 with weber blue dogs, a space echo, an original triangle knob big muff, a chambered warmoth strat with fralins and a USA fender jaguar.
Old 27th December 2007
Jai guru deva om

Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Reverend and Jerry Jones make amazing guitars at a great price point.

Reverend makes them overseas now but they do final set up in the USA. IMO They are actually better than when they were completely built over here.

Jerry Jones makes his guitars in Nashville and I don't know how he can afford coffee in the morning!!! The price is amazing considering its made in America and the end product is a better quality then most other Made in the USA guitars.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

The King of the, seriously cheap but good guitars, this last few years has been the Yamaha Pacifica series...
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Guru

The St. Blues Mississippi Bluesmaster with P-90's is a fantastic sounding guitar.

Also the PRS Soapbar II
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

one thing fo' sure. There are a lot more good cheap everything in this biz then ever before.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
one thing fo' sure. There are a lot more good cheap everything in this biz then ever before.
i think companies are starting to realize there are more weekend warriors than pro's . . . personally i'd be psyched if i only dabbled in music w/ all the cool low end stuff. but no! i gotta be on the verge of bankruptcy at any given point cuz i need more hi end gear!!

anyhoo - can't go wrong w/ a lower end fender or squire. i also heard the prs cheapies are pretty nice
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Fender Tele Baja

For the money, a GREAT guitar
Old 27th December 2007
Gear nut

It's like the saying "gold is where you find it". I got a Fender Squire @ a garage sale for $70 that had perfect action and was convinced it was a "keeper". Then was offered an opportunity to trade it and some other gear I wasn't using for a brand new Mex stratocaster from a local music store with no money out of pocket. I took the deal and turns out the Mex is even better, and I'm in love with it. I've had many guitars, U.S., Korean, Chinese, Indoneasian, e.t.c. and all have been excellent because I take my allen wrenches, screwdriver, and tuner to check and set the action and intonation to my liking, if the guitar will respond accordingly. There are, as stated previously, many choices in the budget range both new and used. I've encountered good and bad in just about every catagory you can think of. I'm down to three guitars presently. A Taylor 410ce bought used with Taylor case for about half of discount price, U.S. '73 Telecaster bought new, and The Mex Strat.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

This may sound a little nuts but I picked up a cheap little Rogue strat for $75, put some good Sperzel locking tuners on it for $60 and then replaced the pickguard for a Carvin one that was loaded with pickups (2 single coils and an HB), switches, pots etc for $160. It plays excellent and sounds great. Under $300.

Just another option to mull around.

Kel
Old 28th December 2007
Gear interested

I am an owner of a squier51, among others, and there is only one thing i can say. It is a serious killer for it's money. And with some mods (tunners, bridge, nut) it can make other more expensive guitars cry!!! The only bad thing is that squier has stopped their production (but you can find some used ones on ebay)
Old 28th December 2007
Gear nut

ESP has impressed me with $200 pieces. bang for the buck, i still think ibanez is king.
Old 28th December 2007
bat
Gear interested

Try to have a good setup with your ES-125, I think that is very difficult to find something better!
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

for under $600, this is my favorite that I've played...i own one and love it. to me it feels just as good as the more expensive Parkers.

Parker PM-20 | Sweetwater.com
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

Squire Stratocaster or Epiphone Les Paul Jr
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

ESP ec400 guitars with EMG81/85 have better action, playability, and intonation than my Les Paul. Not quite the tone, but impressive results

Mexican Strats have surprised me recently for their coolness
Old 12th January 2008
Lives for gear

I've had two Mexican Strats and thought they were great. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Classic that I will never get rid of; in my opinion you can always get by with either one.
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

As much as I hate to admit it, a PRS SE will give you the best bang for the buck when buying new- especially if you do a series/parallel mod on the pickups.

For myself, I'd try to find a used US tele/strat/jazzmaster.
Old 13th January 2008
Gear maniac

Lots of great suggestions here. I'll just comment that it's amazing how many really decent and usable budget guitars exist these days. When I was coming up there weren't nearly as many good choices for inexpensive guitars. I had to learn on truly abysmal cheap knock-off's. Good time to be a beginner, or starving musician!

Mike.
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

I just went through this experience and found that as long as you sit down and find a good one, most of the obvious answers will serve you well, vis

Epi Les Paul
Mex Strat or Tele
PRS SE series
ESP
Old 13th January 2008
Gear Guru

Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

although a lot of people don't give them the credit they deserve I would look at a Line 6 Variax 600. I've played a 500 for over two years and it wasn't ever 100% satisfied. i liked it and it did its job but I was always going to do a transplant.

i recently bought a 600 and it plays as well as any strat I've ever played and I really like it. Plus the tones you get get out of that thing are baller.
Old 14th January 2008
Gear maniac

el cheapo

mex strat! then (when you feel like it) replace the electronics & pick ups w/ some Fralins. A strat is a pretty essential guitar for composing, IMHO.
Old 14th January 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

for under $400 I like the schecter c1 series
No new gtr on earth compares as far as price/quality go.

They are not great like a Gibson or a PRS but they
are not cheezy and unplayable like mex/korean fenders
or the new cheaper PRS Se's. They are also much better
than the lower end Ibanez or jackson gtrs too.
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

If you look around hard enough you can get a USA Highway 1 Fender Strat. i have one and it SINGS!
Old 19th January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
for under $400 I like the schecter c1 series
No new gtr on earth compares as far as price/quality go.

They are not great like a Gibson or a PRS but they
are not cheezy and unplayable like mex/korean fenders
or the new cheaper PRS Se's. They are also much better
than the lower end Ibanez or jackson gtrs too.
I'm considering either PRS or Schecter right now (have just today posted another thread here).
Old 19th January 2008
Gear addict

My pick is (and was) the Fender Mexican Nashville Tele Deluxe.

It has the tex-mex pickups and a single coil middle pickup added. It can do the tele and the strat thing and sound great in either role.

It is definitely worth a shot.
Old 19th January 2008
Agile makes strat , tele, Gibson Les Paul, SG, melody maker and even PRS style guitars. Everyone I played was really nice a big cut above the epi's and cheap fenders.
They play great, the only thing I recommend is putting in better pickups
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search