Show us your Tele's
octatonic
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Show us your Tele's

Here are mine:

Left to right:

'Goldie': Hollow swamp ash Warmoth Goldtop with Seymour Duncan's. New to the fold. Awesome rhythm guitar probably due to hollowness. Macassar Ebony board.

'Blacktop': Black Kinman Blueprint Tele with Duncans. My no 1. Had it for 20 years- gets played 90% of the time. Macassar Ebony board.

'Custard': Vintage White Kinman Blueprint Tele with Duncans- now has a PRS humbucker in the neck and no middle pickup. My second Kinman. He on;y made 50 of these. 48 more to collect.
Attached Thumbnails
Show us your Tele's-3teles4.jpg  
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Gear maniac

Tele Butterscotch Partscaster with Bill Lawrence Keystone pups, 4 way switch. Lately it's the new #1 live. Records unbelieveably!

'95 Tele Special. Duncan Lil 59 in the bridge, TBX tone control, 5 way witch, Callaham bridge and brass saddles. Like a twangy Les Paul. Previous live and studio #1 for Tele like Rock.

'83 Tele top loader just like Jeff Buckley's. 'cept w/a Duncan Donahue bridge pup.

Tele partscaster with GFS Dream 180s. More like a pimpcaster!

Squier Tele Custom II. With an upragded Tele neck and some minor changes, it plays way better than $225 gtr. Still a fun P-90 guitar! Turns out the Duncan Designed P-90's are the same internally as the regular Duncan P90-1s but with out the NOS wiring.
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Gear maniac

TELES RULE !!

14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007

where's allencollins?
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
where's allencollins?
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hey octatonic.. Nice finish on your black Tele.. Ours has some kind of gold plating, but roughly the same type of look..

Damn, I need new/ larger axe pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Show us your Tele's-afew.jpg  
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
where's allencollins?
Are you looking for Allen, or his Tele's?
Cause you won't find either in this thread!! Bwah..
octatonic
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post
Hey octatonic.. Nice finish on your black Tele.. Ours has some kind of gold plating, but roughly the same type of look..

Damn, I need new/ larger axe pics..
Cheers Andrew.
For the longest time I only had this guitar and a black PRS- nearly ten years.
Consequently I am utterly sick of black guitars and go out of my way to avoid them.
Unfortunately it isn't always possible.
I was given a black '79 strat by a client so I now have 3 black guitars...
(I know, life is tough, eh?)

Blacktop is a gorgeous guitar to play though- the neck is perfect- I have tried to find something similar in another guitar but I can't seem to find anything like it.
I refretted it about a year ago with jumbo frets to the 12 fret and a slightly smaller gauge from the 13th and up.
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Let's watch some tele...

Custom Shop 51' NoCaster NOS in vintage blonde

&

American Vintage ‘62 Telecaster Custom in surf green

Attached Thumbnails
Show us your Tele's-51_tele_body.jpg   Show us your Tele's-62_tele_body.jpg   Show us your Tele's-51_tele_full.jpg   Show us your Tele's-62_tele_full.jpg  
octatonic
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanG View Post
American Vintage ‘62 Telecaster Custom in surf green
Man, that is one gorgeous colour.
Love the binding.
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Uh oh, a telecaster thread with pictures..

this could get expensive..

those that know..
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
500 series nutjob

a old photo of some of the guitars.
Attached Thumbnails
Show us your Tele's-guitars.jpg  
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Man, that is one gorgeous colour.
Love the binding.
Thx man... yeah it makes me happy!

Lovin' all the beauties posted here.

14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

I've got pics of some. I'll have to get them all lined up for a photo op soon.

Here's my 69:

Here's an MIJ Custom with a maple neck...and a 59 Dano/Silvertone sharing the spotlight:

later,

m
14th November 2007
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

the terrible twins

here is my tele 52 reissue special which was a limited run of 1000 i think, my favourite guitar out of my lot. And my 60s custom shop NOS strat next to it. Both guitars need cleaning I know. As does my room

I haven't changed the strings on the tele in six months but they have been an inspirational set stike

15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Here's all in one pic:

1st is a MIJ 62 RI Custom with a maple neck.
2nd is a real 69
3rd is a 52 RI
4th is a partscaster that I put together with mostly fender parts and antiquity pu's

Now, I couldn't let my Tele's have all the limelight. Here's a few other "family" shots:

enjoy,

m
octatonic
15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet View Post
Wow- amazing guitars mate.

Is that fiesta red Strat a relic?
I have a strat almost identical to your black CBS strat. Let me guess, a '79?
15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Gear addict

Allen's gonna have fits today
15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow- amazing guitars mate.

Is that fiesta red Strat a relic?
I have a strat almost identical to your black CBS strat. Let me guess, a '79?
Yep...the red is a 60 relic with the gold parts too. I really dig that on the fiesta.

Man, that black one gets everyone. It's one of those SQ MIJ fenders from the 2nd year of production in Japan...what was that, 83? 84? Anyway, I'm sure you guys have heard all the rumors about Fender US shipping all remaining 70s parts over there for assembly. This one's got new custom shop 69 pickups and a new decal on the neck, so it looks legit. I kept the "SQ" neckplate on it though. It plays and sounds great...well, as a 70 strat should....doesn't come close to the fiesta one.

later,

m
octatonic
15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep...the red is a 60 relic with the gold parts too. I really dig that on the fiesta.
I thought it was- it didn't look quite like an old one (but still really nice).
I'm looking for an old start at the moment- the vintage prices are dumb so I might go for a NOS or closet classic.

Quote:
Man, that black one gets everyone. It's one of those SQ MIJ fenders from the 2nd year of production in Japan...what was that, 83? 84? Anyway, I'm sure you guys have heard all the rumors about Fender US shipping all remaining 70s parts over there for assembly. This one's got new custom shop 69 pickups and a new decal on the neck, so it looks legit. I kept the "SQ" neckplate on it though. It plays and sounds great...well, as a 70 strat should....doesn't come close to the fiesta one.
I thought the Jap-from-us-parts were the JV serial number models.
15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

I thought the Jap-from-us-parts were the JV serial number models.
The JV were the first year and the SQ were the second. Some of the early SQ ones have the same parts and are nearly identical to the JV Strats. I think it was more of the usual story with guitar companies...just use the parts in the bin until they're gone.

m
octatonic
15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The JV were the first year and the SQ were the second. Some of the early SQ ones have the same parts and are nearly identical to the JV Strats. I think it was more of the usual story with guitar companies...just use the parts in the bin until they're gone.

m
Ah... good to know.
Thanks.
15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cheers Andrew.
For the longest time I only had this guitar and a black PRS- nearly ten years.
Consequently I am utterly sick of black guitars and go out of my way to avoid them.
Unfortunately it isn't always possible.
I was given a black '79 strat by a client so I now have 3 black guitars...
(I know, life is tough, eh?)
Ironically, I have a black 79 strat (hardtail) that was given to me too. I have two 79s, both with the cracked eggshell finish. The black one has a blue hue from the cracks, so it's not solid black. No pics on this computer though..

Anyway, back to Teles..
15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007

JIM - what Duncans do you have in there - I'm really looking for some meaty humbuckers to stick in mine but don't want the mids to be too pushed

Quote:
Here are mine:

Left to right:

'Goldie': Hollow swamp ash Warmoth Goldtop with Seymour Duncan's. New to the fold. Awesome rhythm guitar probably due to hollowness. Macassar Ebony board.

'Blacktop': Black Kinman Blueprint Tele with Duncans. My no 1. Had it for 20 years- gets played 90% of the time. Macassar Ebony board.

'Custard': Vintage White Kinman Blueprint Tele with Duncans- now has a PRS humbucker in the neck and no middle pickup. My second Kinman. He on;y made 50 of these. 48 more to collect.
octatonic
15th November 2007
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
JIM - what Duncans do you have in there - I'm really looking for some meaty humbuckers to stick in mine but don't want the mids to be too pushed
Ok, it has all changed since the pics- but I'll tell you what I have in there now.
I have an illness I reckon, when it comes to changing pickups- I do it more than I probably should, but ... err... no that's it.

Blacktop has a Hotrails in the bridge and a Vintage Stack in the neck.
Goldie has a Vintage Stacks in both neck and bridge.
Custard has Hotrail in the bridge and a PRS Dragon 1 in the neck.

A word of caution regarding the hotrails- they do not come close to a traditional tele tone unless you have series/parallel switching on them (which I do) and even then, purists will sniff (but then that is what purists do, isn't it? ).

I found a stock of some really nice momentary switches recently, so all three have kill switches on them so I can do stutter effects (as do all the rest of my guitars).

I try to cover a lot of bases - with series/parallel wiring I can go from traditional-ish tele tone to raucous rock/metal tones.
If you want a humbucking tone with a more traditional vibe then definitely the Vintage stacks are the ones to go for. The neck pickup is lovely and you can do all sorts of nice percussive stuff on the metal cover if you are a live-looper type.

I've been through all sorts of pickups over the years- EMG's, Fenders, Kinman, Barden, Fralin.
I like Duncan's most of all, closely followed by Kinman.
Kinmans are excellent if you want spot on vintage with no noise- he really does it well.
Now I have 3 humbucking tele's I will go for a more 'vintage' on the next one- probably a thinline, with Kinman Broadcaster set that I have lying around here.

EMG's are highly underrated as well- you get a very pure sound from them- the neck tele pickup is gorgeous. I still have a set of those kicking around as well.
16th November 2007
Old 16th November 2007
Lives for gear

White = 2006 50's Mex Esquire RI
Black = 90's AmStd with Duncan Antiquities, Callahan bridge, and a Warmoth figured maple neck w/ebony fretboard
16th November 2007
Old 16th November 2007

Quote:

I've been through all sorts of pickups over the years- EMG's, Fenders, Kinman, Barden, Fralin.
I like Duncan's most of all, closely followed by Kinman.
Kinmans are excellent if you want spot on vintage with no noise- he really does it well.
Now I have 3 humbucking tele's I will go for a more 'vintage' on the next one- probably a thinline, with Kinman Broadcaster set that I have lying around here.

EMG's are highly underrated as well- you get a very pure sound from them- the neck tele pickup is gorgeous. I still have a set of those kicking around as well.
Cheers Jim -

Vintage Stack - How 's the output of the vintage stack in comparison to the Hot Rails? Are yo getting agood balance?

I suppose I'm after someting fat and clear but not too overly middy- not too bothered about "authentic Tele tone - my gtr currently has a nice Harmonic Design S90 - sorta P90-ish... I'd really like something with higher output though

My Hiwatt has plenty of mids and sometimes its a little over-cooked!

EMG ... are you talking bout the Alnico ones?
16th November 2007
Old 16th November 2007
Gear Guru

Those are all beautiful! The surf green is my favorite too!

My neighbor just invited me over to check out his new St. Blues Bluesmaster II

Amazing detail, playability, balance and tone for a $450.00 MIK guitar.

Saint Blues Line-up

16th November 2007
Old 16th November 2007
Gear addict

G&L 25th A

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search