Jimmy Page Supro Amp
Old 25th September 2007
  #1
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Red face Jimmy Page Supro Amp

Old 25th September 2007
  #2
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
Scam. Jimmy Page played a lot of amps and recorded a lot of years. I would guess that the early Zep stuff was most-likely a Selmer Zodiac. Selmer made a lot of band equipment in England for the schools. A lot of the young up-and-coming rock bands from England did not want to play amplifiers made by the company that supplied the clarinets to the schools, so they did not endorse them. Although, to try to win them over, Selmer put their amps in a lot of the top recording studios for the studios to use. A lot of "classic" recordings were done with the Selmer’s that a lot of people don't know about. The BEATLES even used them. I have heard of 6 different model Supros being used on the early Zep records. Out of the 6, 4 of them came out after the records! It is impossible to really know, but all the supros I have tried lack the gain of the Zep records. Selmers can do it though, which is why I think that. Not a fact tho.
Old 25th September 2007
  #3
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

I've seen those type of listings before on Valco Supros all claiming to be THE amp
Page used.

Would be great to get the studio log sheets to get the correct information.
Old 25th September 2007
  #4
Gear maniac
 

The output tubes are 6973 - NOS are very expensive although EH makes them now.

$4500 -crazy even for a collector's price
Old 25th September 2007
  #5
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Supro amp is used on Zep I and IV.

Mike's Guitar Site - Led Zeppelin - Jimmy Page's Gear - Guitars , Amps , Effects & Setup

It's no secret that Jimmy Page put Supro amps on the map when he revealed in a 1991 Guitar World interview that he used a Supro amp for all of the recordings of Led Zeppelin I. Many of us are convinced he used the same amp on some later songs as well. In the GW interview, he described the amp as a Supro with a 12" speaker. According to Albert Lee, he and Jimmy bought their original Supro amps in 1961 from Selmer's Music Co. on the West Side of London. Assuming this is correct, Jimmy didn't buy a Thunderbolt since they weren't introduced until mid-1964. The only amp in the Supro lineup in 1961 with a single 12" speaker was the 1624T Dual Tone. As for the model 1690T Coronado, the amp displayed in the Zeppelin Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame exhibit... Jimmy acquired that amp in 1974, long after the early Zeppelin LP's were done.

Sounds like it's true that Jimmy used Supro amp. Also Amplitube's Supro model sounds more Jimmy Page than Plexi model to my ear. I'm very interested but it's too expensive to try. Gretsch, National and Valco seems to be the same amp as Supro, so I would look for those amps for the sound of Supro, without paying collector's price.
Old 25th September 2007
  #6
Gear maniac
 
fuddfar's Avatar
 

When I saw the first concert at the Fillmore in N.Y. he used a Rickenbacker amp...the one with the lightning stripe across the front. See Vintage Guitar Price Guide.
Old 25th September 2007
  #7
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
but all the supros I have tried lack the gain of the Zep records.
I can't really hear lots of gain from early zep record... Sounds like low gain amp with Solasound fuzz.
Old 25th September 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Scam. Jimmy Page played a lot of amps and recorded a lot of years. I would guess that the early Zep stuff was most-likely a Selmer Zodiac. Selmer made a lot of band equipment in England for the schools. A lot of the young up-and-coming rock bands from England did not want to play amplifiers made by the company that supplied the clarinets to the schools, so they did not endorse them. Although, to try to win them over, Selmer put their amps in a lot of the top recording studios for the studios to use. A lot of "classic" recordings were done with the Selmer’s that a lot of people don't know about. The BEATLES even used them. I have heard of 6 different model Supros being used on the early Zep records. Out of the 6, 4 of them came out after the records! It is impossible to really know, but all the supros I have tried lack the gain of the Zep records. Selmers can do it though, which is why I think that. Not a fact tho.
Interesting you point this out. I've long been a Selmer fanboy

Vox basically offered their wares and models to the Beatles IIRC. If Selmer had been a bit forward thinking, they would have been the ones.. BUT I do believe many bands recorded with Selmer.
I have a Zodiac twin and a small early 18w Selmer (2 channels volume & tone 1 channel with tremelo. Sound familiar??)
Superb amps.
Old 25th September 2007
  #9
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Interesting you point this out. I've long been a Selmer fanboy

Vox basically offered their wares and models to the Beatles IIRC. If Selmer had been a bit forward thinking, they would have been the ones.. BUT I do believe many bands recorded with Selmer.
I have a Zodiac twin and a small early 18w Selmer (2 channels volume & tone 1 channel with tremelo. Sound familiar??)
Superb amps.
Hell yes. The Selmer Zodiacs that we have here are great secret weapons. After the modded JCM 800s, they get the most recording use. The tone switches produce some amazing sounds. You can literally make it sound like five different amps, all with their own unique flavor. I prefer them to all Vox's any day of the week for recording.


Jimmy Page has made a lot of claims about what he used. Either he likes that game, or he tried so many amps that he doesn't even remember which made the final record. I believe that he is probably unsure. Probably a little of both. Keep in mind; these guys didn't know they were making history at the time.

Having owned all of the Supro's that have been associated with Page over the years, I can tell you, none of them sound like Led Zep records. Not at all. Not even close. They are great ebay sale items, being that you buy them on the story without hearing them. Supro made the best damn harp amps ever, but I'll leave it at that. I like them, they are cool, but from experience owning quite a few, they don't have that Jimmy Page mojo. Selmer Treble and Bass 50 or a Zodiac twin 30 on the other hand... Rock N Roll in a box. The Selmer's really come to like with a mic on them too. There are some amps that sound good to your ear, but when you close mic them they are like "Oh My God!" The Selmer's fall in that category.
Old 25th September 2007
  #10
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
You can literally make it sound like five different amps, all with their own unique flavor.
I have never heard any analogue amp that offers the sounds of 5 different amps. It's hard to believe but very interesting.
Old 25th September 2007
  #11
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
I have never heard any analogue amp that offers the sounds of 5 different amps. It's hard to believe but very interesting.
the tonal shaping in the Selmer is quite unique. I have never heard anything else like it in the analog domain. A very special amp when they are properly serviced.
I can fully understand your skepticism.
Old 25th September 2007
  #12
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
you would be amazed how easy you can get a lot of the Beatle-ish guitar sounds with the Selmer Zodiac.

Its one of those things... you plug in... you start playing... you say to yourself "that kinda sounds like -insert one of many Beatles songs-" .... you play it... then you say to yourself "Oh, that is how they did it!" A lot of people I know scratched their hair out trying to get a vox to do a lot of the Beatles songs, and this is the answer.
Old 26th September 2007
  #13
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

Would be cool to go after a license to bring them back into production in legacy form.
Old 27th September 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
The Selmer Zodiacs that we have here are great secret weapons.
*jealous*
Old 27th September 2007
  #15
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Would be cool to go after a license to bring them back into production in legacy form.
I have the schematics... they are readily available. It would be a fortune to try to make them look as cool. That would be a lot of custom switches, knobs, and that sexy croc. tolex.
Old 27th September 2007
  #16
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

With all the other BIG LOGO re-releases, you'd think someone might be
working on a reproduction or some sort of clone.
Old 27th September 2007
  #17
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
not many people know about them tho. I don't know the name will bring much noise.
Old 27th September 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
not many people know about them tho. I don't know the name will bring much noise.
There's quite a few around in London guitar shops. But the prices are going up quick... If I was looking for a vintage AC 30/15 I will buy a vintage Selmer instead!
Old 27th September 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
not many people know about them tho. I don't know the name will bring much noise.
If they got Page to do some sort of endorsement it might help.
Old 27th September 2007
  #20
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
If they got Page to do some sort of endorsement it might help.
that would take some deep pockets.
Old 27th September 2007
  #22
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
If anyone plans to bid, let me know. I hate to be going against a fellow slut.

P.S. I have been watching this and already bid but I could retract.
Old 28th September 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Wes Kuhnley's Avatar
 

Doesn't Zinky do a supro type amp?
Old 28th September 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
that would take some deep pockets.
Gibson have gotten back into the amp building business over the last few years.
He's already got a sig model with them...

Hmmmmm.....
Old 28th September 2007
  #25
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

I'd be happy to see a repro line offering the Selmers , Valco Supro "hand wired"
and a Watkins Dominator 17.

You see Vox clones galore, but very few direct references to these cool circuits.

Still funny to hear Page and Gibson, when many of his coolest early tones came from a Tele.
Old 28th September 2007
  #26
Gear addict
 

There was a magazine interview with JP many years ago (>30) where he claimed to have used a small Supro (the two tone brown one with a 6V6) and an external 12" speaker which was not in a cabinet. There was even a picture. Unfortunately I don't recall which magazine.

An aside, I have had a number of Supro amps and some get close to this tone -but put a tube echoplex in front (echo doesn't have to be on) and that really nails it . But- put the same tube echoplex in front of a Marshall and you can get darn close too. Maybe the echoplex is the secret sauce (aside from having Page's chops).

Irregardless, properly restored Supro can be great sounding amps.
Old 30th September 2007
  #27
Nrt
Lives for gear
 

I have a 1961 National amp which is the almost same circuit (and parts) as the 1624T Supro amp. Valco was making the same amp under a few different brand names. 6973 Power tubes. The tone of 6973 is different from 6v6. 6v6 Valco amps sound more like Tweed. I can get the sound of Zeppelin I with my Tube Echoplex + 6973 National. Very special amp, but $4500 is a bit crazy. When i bought my National (about $400?), Supro 1624T was a bit cheaper than mine on bluebook. I tired a Selmer a long time ago (I don't remember which model). It sounded like AC15, not JP, IMO.
Old 30th September 2007
  #28
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt View Post
I tired a Selmer a long time ago (I don't remember which model). It sounded like AC15, not JP, IMO.
The models vary quite a bit in sound.
Old 1st October 2007
  #29
Harmless Wacko
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Having owned all of the Supro's that have been associated with Page over the years, I can tell you, none of them sound like Led Zep records.
????

If you plugged a decent 60-70's era Tele(of which I had daily use of about 4-5 for almost a decade) into EITHER my old Supro OR my old Valco and pretty much 'wiped' the knobbies... it sounded EXACTLY like Heartbreaker/WLL.

Not kinda....

EXACTLY.

"Hair stands up on yer neck" exactly.

Call me crazy. Musta done it 200 times over the years for everybody and their brother. Never had anybody contest it for a second.

Hey!!! Coulda been 'expectation bias' or 'mass delusion'... I dunno. Just sayin'.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 1st October 2007
  #30
84K
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
clip?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
w2w / So much gear, so little time!
5
audiothings / So many guitars, so little time!
24
Knox / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.