New Reply
Subscribe
wilcofan
4th May 2007
Old 4th May 2007
Gear addict

Stage Hog Plug

Hey all,

Just needed to pass on some praise for this Stage Hog pedal that Stephenson Amplifiers makes.

I've had it almost a week and I cannot believe what a powerful pedal this is. (it's actually a 1-watt guitar amp doubling as a pedal) I have a Harmony low-watt amp I'm putting the Hog in front of and it's crazy the potential for crunchy tones into a simple amp.

My guess is anybody who is a Fender amp player looking for crunch and leads will be satisified with this pedal.

The tone is so much more open than traditional pedals it's hard to compare it as a pedal. I've found about 10 tones in it already and have played for hours without feeling the tweak urge on many settings.

Anyways, Mark is a great guy with an incredible product. I just felt you guys might want to look into this harder. It's expensive but I can tell you coming from a player who has spent $1500 on pedals searching that this is the best $700 US I've seen.

Bobby
5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007
Gear Head

How would you describe the tone of the stage hog? I'm under the impression that it's generally in the Marshall camp (a big generalization I know...).
5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007
Gear maniac

I've got one, too. I've had it for a few months and it really is excellent. It's not something that I use all the time, but also I would not want to be without it.

I'd say it excels at providing high-gain sounds and it does fall more into the Marshall camp. I'm not a metal head or high gain dude, so I don't know if it's the perfect pedalfor that. But the distortion and overdrive sounds you can get are unique, very usable, and HIGH QUALITY. A step above most pedals, IMHO

Here's a quote from Mark Stephenson's website. I think it's pretty accurate.

"I designed the SH to be the second channel of a clean amp (such as a twin), I wanted an all out cranked tube amp sound for my gain channel (cranked plexi), and bypass the pedal for my clean sound, and I wanted to be able to have these sounds at any volume level. "
Stephenson Amplification - Stage Hog

It also sounds great plugged into a clean amp model in my PODxt Pro or Amplitube 2 and using the Stagehog for 100% of the overdrive.

Then there's the Power Scaling feature....

I don't EVER see myself getting rid of the Stagehog. I can't necessarily say that about most of my gear.

aka Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball
5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007
Gear Head

Thanks Tim. By all accounts the Stage Hog sounds like a great pedal/amp.

I keep hoping I won't need to spend the money, but I don't think I'll be able to avoid getting one. If I could just stop buying other gear for a moment....
5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenton View Post
Thanks Tim. By all accounts the Stage Hog sounds like a great pedal/amp.

I keep hoping I won't need to spend the money, but I don't think I'll be able to avoid getting one. If I could just stop buying other gear for a moment....
I know what you mean about acquiring more and more gear. I keep thinking and hoping that the worst of it is behind me.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Stagehog is a "must have". (I don't know if I'd say that about anything). But it is a VERY GOOD pedal. If you use high gain or distorted guitars in your music, it would be hard to go wrong with the SH.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search