What's your favourite muff?
New Reply
Subscribe
Studiocat
7th April 2007
Old 7th April 2007
Gear addict

What's your favourite muff?

I saw Ben folds in concert last night, and his bass player Jared Reynolds had AMAZing fuzz bass tones. He reportedly uses the big muff. Gotta try it out!

From Electroharmonix, do you guys like the standard Big Muff Pi (reissue), the little big muff, or the double muff? OR Should I be looking for a russian big muff or an original op-amp (IC) big muff??

I'm also looking at the euthymia electronics ICBM which sounds pretty good.

Cheers
Adam
7th April 2007
Old 7th April 2007
Gear Guru

I kinda like this one at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favourite muff?-jolie.jpg  
7th April 2007
Old 7th April 2007
Lives for gear

EH Graphic Fuzz sounds kinda like a Muff plus EQ. Hot diggety. So I got one. Some say the vintage ones beat the reissues, though. So the one I got's a vintage one.
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Lives for gear

I have a green russian one, and a silver one from 1978 - they're both cool, but sound pretty different. The '78 one pretty much NAILS the Smashing Pumpkins 'Siamese Dream' tone... the green russian is more like the rest of the early '90s grunge bands.

They both get a lot of work - love em. I've heard that the reissues are pretty good, too (haven't used them, so just word of mouth)
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomanmoomin View Post
EH Graphic Fuzz sounds kinda like a Muff plus EQ. Hot diggety. So I got one. Some say the vintage ones beat the reissues, though. So the one I got's a vintage one.
I tried an EH Tube EQ and the thing sounded great but it was really noisy...too noisy for recording. The box I had had been damaged (I had to resolder some components) but I hear they're noisy anyway. Is all/most EH tube stuff noisy? I'm talking 120 cycle buzz...bad.

8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Lives for gear

Some of the valves they use are a bit dubious IMO, although others are good. Circuit was probably noisy @ 60 Hz, with the valve adding second-harmonic distortion @ 120 Hz. Nice.
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Gear addict

8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Lives for gear

That's an extremely popular pedal and kinda the standard by which a lot of recent releases are judged.

Personally I just want to stomp on something simple and enjoy the sound (Z.Vex stuff has lots of subtle controls). The only reason I opted for the Graphic Fuzz, complete with EQ, is that I don't like the bass-sapping effect that's common with germanium-transistor fuzz pedals. I don't much like silicon-transistor fuzz pedals at all, but I wouldn't mind a Fender Blender to play with. Supposedly it worked for Smashing Pumpkins and (more importantly, from where I'm sitting) Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine). Anybody tried one?
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Lives for gear

i love my russian big muff.....it's black and it's from 2006.
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Lives for gear

mine's an original, now rackmounted. Some of the best tones are with the gain backed off...not what you'd expect.

A buddy lend us a Swollen Pickle for a session and it was divine and I just got an Effector 13 SodaMeiser that gets the muff (or the hole next door anyway) The Russian one I tried didn't pass go and collect $200 but I'm sure they vary as much as the originals.

Andy
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Lives for gear

I use a vintage Russian big muff and people flip out on the tone all the time! I've been using it forever and it has become so much of how I play. I can't imagine not having it around!

ERic
8th April 2007
Old 8th April 2007
Gear addict

Just ordered the ICBM. It's based on the old muff (hence the name Integrated Circuit Big Muff) and gets glowing reviews everywhere. The clips on the site sound pretty good too. I'll let y'all know how it sounds. Maybe post some samples here in a week or so.

A
10th April 2007
Old 10th April 2007
Gear maniac

there's a lot of fuzzes i like way more than the muff (z vex, awinda, roger mayer), but nothing sounds like my tank (1st year russian green model, below) or the fairly rare deluxe big muff (sorry for the flash spot) which is a standard muff with a blend-able insane compressor. the compressor sound like a mix between an orange squeezer and the limiter function of a valley people dyna-mite.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favourite muff?-big-muff.jpg   What's your favourite muff?-deluxe-muff.jpg  
10th April 2007
Old 10th April 2007
Gear nut

Her and also my '73 EH I bought when I was in high school. Or maybe it was a '75.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favourite muff?-yukie.jpg  
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

Toilet break
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Gear Guru

I can't decide..............

Put music in your heart
and heart in your music
Studiocat
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Gear addict

I should have realized this thread would eventually digress... Oh well!
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Lives for gear

I totally agree with FFTT and then I gotta say that stompboxes never made me totally happy - here's what works for me: bass or guitar or whatever into an old Hiwatt DR 100 and turned way up. 4dBs off with a THD hotplate and into a nice cab - there you are. Admittedly transistors work better on bass than on guitar.
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Gear interested

Hey woomanmoomin if ya want to try a Fender Blender try a Danelctro FrenchToast.There based on the Blender and much cheaper its made of plastic but I got one for 20 clams and it sounds very close.
I have a 70s Bigg Muff that I luv.I also had an original Russian Big Muff but I sold it.It sounded very different to me more like a distortion not a fuzz.
Sysexguy how do you like your soda mister?
I just got the T.B.D and luv how it sounds butt the build quality is kinda poor cheap case,china jacks like ya get at radio shack and the circuit board is not mounted its just has electrical tape around it to keep it from shorting.
I just expected more for 200 bucks butt it does have 2 tpdt switches 5 pots 3 toggle switches all of which cost quit a bit.
anyway im keeping it cause it sounds great
REVEREND
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Location: Farmingville (NOT FarmVille or Farmingdale!) Long Island
My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyL57 View Post
Her and also my '73 EH I bought when I was in high school. Or maybe it was a '75.
nice!! . . . both the girl and the pedal!!
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Gear Guru

So many choices........

14th April 2007
Old 14th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
Hey woomanmoomin if ya want to try a Fender Blender try a Danelctro FrenchToast.
Cheers!

FFTT, is that Kate Beckinsale? Whenever I think of her (which is not very often), I can't help thinking of her dad, Richard Beckinsale. He was a successful TV comedy actor over here but sadly died quite young. I think he had a heart attack. He tended to play nice, vaguely nerdy characters with big 70s hair (it was the 70s, after all) and probably wasn't quite as sexy as I'm guessing you find Kate, you know. This has always been an obstacle in my relationship with Kate.

Here he is (right) with the late, lamented Ronnie Barker in the BBC sitcom 'Porridge' about life inside the fictional HM Slade Prison.

14th April 2007
Old 14th April 2007
Lives for gear

14th April 2007
Old 14th April 2007
Gear Guru

Indeed that's Kate!

Actually quite a remarkable young woman and not just a pretty face.

Quote:
Cheers!

FFTT, is that Kate Beckinsale? Whenever I think of her (which is not very often), I can't help thinking of her dad, Richard Beckinsale. He was a successful TV comedy actor over here but sadly died quite young. I think he had a heart attack. He tended to play nice, vaguely nerdy characters with big 70s hair (it was the 70s, after all) and probably wasn't quite as sexy as I'm guessing you find Kate, you know. This has always been an obstacle in my relationship with Kate.

Here he is with the late, lamented Ronnie Barker in the BBC sitcom 'Porridge' about life inside the fictional HM Slade Prison.

15th April 2007
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Little Big Muff!
It nails the muff fuzz tone and is pretty inexpensive, a no-brainer if you ask me...

I don't understand people mentioning Fuzz Factory as an alternative, they are totally different animals, the FF is razor edged germania fuzz whereas a Muff is pretty smooth edged with a lot of sustain.
I love both, but they are very different!
15th April 2007
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

There are some nice tone-shaping controls on the Graphic Fuzz as well (not just the EQ). I should probably get a Fuzz Factory too, just to see what all the fuss (or fuzz) is about.
16th April 2007
Old 16th April 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta4lnch View Post
nice!! . . . both the girl and the pedal!!

I hope she love me long time!
17th April 2007
Old 17th April 2007
Gear interested

I use the Double Muff (sort of a ménage a trios of fuzz). The tone of the single Muff is fantastic and builds nicely over the full turn of the dial from grunge to classic late 60s. The double is also a great sound, but it really only goes up 2/3 jumps in intensity. I thought it was the pod, but I exchanged it at the shop for another and it was exactly the same. Still wouldn’t be without it.

Meet Kate Beckinsale once in Harrods – I know she remembers me fondly
17th April 2007
Old 17th April 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Here he is (right) with the late, lamented Ronnie Barker in the BBC sitcom 'Porridge' about life inside the fictional HM Slade Prison.

oh man porridge was the best
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search