Login / Register

Please! Help with my pedal board setup??
New Reply
Subscribe
TheMikesmith
8th March 2007
Old 8th March 2007
Gear interested

Please! Help with my pedal board setup??

Okay... so first off ... long time reader ... first time poster....

I've been searching these forums over the last week for an answer for my problem .. but to no avail I decided to sign up....

I play bass.

As of right now I've got a gator cases pedal board with these pedals:

- BOSS TU-2 (tuner) -
- DOD FX80-B (compressor/sustainer)
- DigiTech - Bass Synth Wah/Envelope Filter
- EH Big Muff pi
- Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

now...This is going to be hard to explain (bare with me please!)

Jamming here in my basement I've run my gear in this weird way into an Alto S-8 eight channel mixer then to an amp....

Bass into Tuner
-to Compressor
-to SanAmp

Now, using all three out puts of my SansAmp...
- XLR output runs to Input 1 on the Mixer
- Main Output runs into the Big Muff then to Input 2 on Mixer
- Parallel Output runs into the Synth Wah to Input 3 on the Mixer

this is is the setup I use because I love the sound I'm getting blending these three channels Clean, Overdrive & Synth.

What I want is to be able to do this live... I'm wondering if there is some of pedal that has say ... three or four inputs allowing me to adjust levels of each and then also allowing me to stomp the channels on or off.???
Then running this blended signal to my amp......??? or is there some way to do this that I'm not thinking off ... because just having these in line .. doesn't get the effect I'm looking for.

Ultimately this is my goal.... maybe there's something out there that is perfect for this ... or maybe it's something I need to have made.. but .. if I could get a few opinions on this it would be really great thanks!

THANKS SOOO MUCH in advance!
mikesmith

also... just outta curiousity .. what order shoulud pedals be used??? if there is a specific order...??

Last edited by TheMikesmith; 8th March 2007 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: I'm dumb.
9th March 2007
Old 9th March 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe this?

Try the Radial Engineering site as well.
9th March 2007
Old 9th March 2007
Gear interested

thanks man .. but from what I can tell ... this is a splitter and not a mixer....

it's 1 IN and 4 OUTs.....

I'm looking for 4 INs and 1 OUT.

thanks though!

EDIT: This may actually work ...kinda.... I could use this as my splitter ... and then I just need to find a way to bring all my signals back together..... cool .... thanks man.....

Last edited by TheMikesmith; 9th March 2007 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: this may work ..
10th March 2007
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

try the george lynch splitter... that can be used in reverse.
It's 3 in / out.

I could probably contact a guy who could build you a custom one - but i don't know how much that'd be!

10th March 2007
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

You could insert a SPST footswitch into each input feed before the mixer. Wire your Hot to the switch throw (Gnd passes thru) and you can disconnect (not bypass) the input feed from each mixer input.

Also specify that these switches are 'make before break'. This may help reduce transient 'pops' when you switch in & out. Additional circuitry may be needed to reduce audible clicks or pops, but this is something simple that you can experiment with, that is inexpensive & easy to work up.

~8^)

The enemy isn't liberalism or conservatism, the enemy is bullshit --
Lars-Erik Nelson

Now, when there's no longer surface noise and you actually have the ability to have the most extraordinary dynamic range, people aren't using it -- T-Bone Burnett
The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them -- Albert Einstein
I'm not black, but there's a whole lot of times I wish I could say I'm not white -- Frank Zappa

Last edited by KingDaddyO; 31st December 2008 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: to clarify a confusing post
31st December 2008
Old 31st December 2008
Gear interested

help me on my pedal board

hey guys i joined this forum for this question.

i just sold my digitech rp500 to go analog, at least mostly. i have in the following order

my boss compressor
my mxr eq
isp decimator
my morley wah,volume
ibanez ts9 tube scremeamer
then into my mesa dual rectifier preamp
then my fx loop send
to ibanez cs9 chorus
to ibanez fl9 flanger
to mxr phaser
to mxr delay
to behringer digital reverb
out to my marshalll 2x12 cab

my question is would anybody change the order if so why. i had the eq after my tubescreamer that didnt work to well. also if i add a tuner should i get an ab y swtich to route the tuner sepratley. cuz my behringer tunes compresses the signal so i cant use it while playing, im strictly studio recording musician no gigs. tnax for your time and help in advance
1st January 2009
Old 1st January 2009
Gear maniac

mikesmith

I've been looking for something like that for a while, and no luck. There's really no guitar level line mixer that I know of that accepts more than one input. You could bet a little berhringer mixer (I used one to mix a synth into my bass amp, which has a single input). There's also the little mixer that diamond pedals makes for use with the memory lane delay, but that only gives you one extra input (and you can use the pan knob as a level).

I wish someone would just make the damn thing! 4 in 1 out mono guitar level line mixer. Volume knobs. Small! Tuner out!
1st January 2009
Old 1st January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkemp View Post
mikesmith

I've been looking for something like that for a while, and no luck. There's really no guitar level line mixer that I know of that accepts more than one input. You could bet a little berhringer mixer (I used one to mix a synth into my bass amp, which has a single input). There's also the little mixer that diamond pedals makes for use with the memory lane delay, but that only gives you one extra input (and you can use the pan knob as a level).

I wish someone would just make the damn thing! 4 in 1 out mono guitar level line mixer. Volume knobs. Small! Tuner out!
http://www.littlelabs.com/pcp.html
2nd January 2009
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman54321 View Post

i just sold my digitech rp500 to go analog, at least mostly. i have in the following order

my boss compressor
my mxr eq
isp decimator
my morley wah,volume
then my fx loop send
to ibanez cs9 chorus
to ibanez fl9 flanger
to mxr phaser
to mxr delay

my question is would anybody change the order if so why. i had the eq after my tubescreamer that didnt work to well. also if i add a tuner should i get an ab y swtich to route the tuner sepratley. cuz my behringer tunes compresses the signal so i cant use it while playing, im strictly studio recording musician no gigs. tnax for your time and help in advance
Welcome to this place,

If your tuner changes the signal, then yeah - A/B it out when not in use, so it won't impact your desired sound unintentionally.

As far as the order of your FX - I know there are some real purists on this topic, but my approach is very simple. I like to place the units in order of their transparency to my naked signal. In other words, I put the quietest unit first, then so on as the noise level increases. This is so I don't amplify any undesirable noise (that is inherent in the fx box itself) any more than necessary. This usually results in compression, distortion, boosters, etc ... coming last in the chain.

You should also pay attention to the impedance loading of some boxes. There can be mismatches depending on what order you choose, which will affect the overall result. Sure, they're all guitar pedals and should be completely compatible. But just as with software, some designers & manufacturers build high quality products, some not so good. So although guidelines are useful, R&D is essential to determine the specific results that you are searching for.
20th January 2009
Old 20th January 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman54321 View Post

my boss compressor
my mxr eq
isp decimator
my morley wah,volume
then my fx loop send
to ibanez cs9 chorus
to ibanez fl9 flanger
to mxr phaser
to mxr delay

Depends on what you are using the decimator for but I would say put the decimator first so that the compressor and EQ can lift/compress the right material (not your noise).

Might also want that volume pedal to come toward the front.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search