TUSC Amplifiers
New Reply
Subscribe
dviola
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Gear maniac

Exclamation TUSC Amplifiers

Does anyone know anything about TUSC? I know they made amps back in the early 80s and that they are all tube. I'm thinking of buying a 50 watt head off craigslist but am worried I won't be able to get specs for repairs/upgrades and also that I don't really know how they sound (i can't go play it). All things considered I seem to be drawn to it but I don't know why. It is a TUSC CF 50. Any help would be greatly appreciated
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Gear Head

Weren't these amps some kind of hybrid solid state preamp/tube power amp like the Legend or Music Man amplifiers? I vaguely remember trying one out in the early 80's, and I was bit underwhelmed, but I have never been into overly complicated amplifiers. They were pretty expensive in the day, but I have not seen one since that time, so they must be pretty rare at this point. Have you checked the amp out yet?
dviola
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Gear maniac

this is what i know about it:

Tube Guitar Amp Head; TUSC CF 50, 50 watt. Early 80's boutique amp. Features two channels. Channel one is very clean. Channel two can get as nasty as you like with built in distortion. (2) new SOVTEK 6L6GC tubes. Other tubes are (2) 12AT7 which measure near 100%. Two output parallel jacks for a 4 ohm total load. So you can run (2) 8 ohm cabs if you like.

all tube with solid state effects which include distortion, parametric eq (in addition to channel eq), and spring reverb which is switchable post/pre...the amp was advertised as the first or one of the first "programmable"(the effects), i guess a predecessor to say a line 6 or something, but this is analog....i'm not sure in what way they are programmed and this is sort of my main confusion since there is nothing online about them...apparetnly they retailed for a good chunk of change but were only made for 2-3 years

I was just curious if anyone had or played one...right now i have a hot rod deluxe and 72 tele thinline reissue (the semi hollow with 2 hum), just looking for something "different" for recording purposes
4th January 2007
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

I own a 100 watt 2x12 combo version. It's a decent sounding amp. The combo's came loaded with Fane speakers (one of the better aspects of the amp, imo). They are not all tube though. They have a tube power amp with IC based preamp. The clean side is voiced similar to a BF Fender, with a bit less shimmer due to the SS preamp. The reverb sounds excellent, however, it's only available on the overdrive channel, or rather, the "programmable" channel, which can be set both clean & dirty, then switched. The programming is kind of quirky and some of the distortion settings aren't so hot, but with some patience, they can sound nice.

It might be difficult getting these serviced as many tube amp guys won't touch it just because it's hybrid. They are loaded with LF353 jfets (dip8 sockets). I have Svetlana 6L6 tubes in mine that work very well. Based on others I've seen for sale, they're rather uncommon and don't sell very well. A reasonable price for a 50 watt would be in the $150-$250 range, more for a combo or 100 watt model. If you end up buying it, PM me if you have more questions.
29th January 2007
Old 29th January 2007
Gear addict

Unless you are charmed with it`s particular voice and hear something special that`ll get you to your tonal dream ....I`d stay away . If you`re looking for a rich, solid basic tube amp tone ...there are so many options for tone where you can have a no headache amp that`s worth more in the future , not less . is it stupid cheap .like 200 bucks ?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search