Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter
Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter

Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter

3.45 3.45 (4 Reviews)
Had to return it because it didn't work with the included battery, only to find out my replacement doesn't either. It sounds nice, and has good features but the build quality is pretty bad.
Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter
More information about Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter

< >

Published by vstace on 25th April 2013
User Review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
3 out of 5
Overall: 3.75 3.75
Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter

I'm pretty conflicted about this unit. On one hand it's a genuine BBD with..

"Classic analog design with tap tempo
Tap/ Delay Time/ Feedback with Oscillation controls
Mix/ Depth with Modulation controls
30ms - 1000ms delay time"

I thought the first unit I received was broken because when using the included 9v battery the lights would seize and buttons would not respond. The second unit had the same problem, leading me to believe this is a fault of all the units. It works fine on 9v neg tip AC. Furthermore, the toggle switch to turn on/off the modulation only turned on the LED so you have to keep the mod dial down for no effect. Still not sure if I will send the second one back because of this. I may just open it up and fix it myself while possibly adding some CV jacks. Needless to say Ibanez rushed these through the manufacturing plant.

Other than that it's pretty great, especially for $150. I'd say it's the best bargain for BBD delays out there. It has a really cool 'oscillation' switch which creates a quick, full textured sound at a nice low volume. The modulation only has depth and no speed control, and the unit is quite transparent with a brighter than MXR Carbon Copy sound.

It seems to me someone is making new BBD chips somewhere which would explain the low price. I sold my Moog 104m for this, and while it is certainly less than half the delay the Moog is, it's also a quarter the price.
By bondodub on 5th May 2013
User review
Sound Quality
3 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
3 out of 5
Overall: 3.75 3.75
Ibanez Echo Shifter

Ive had one for about 3 weeks now (since we have 30 days to make up our mind LOL) and I really dont know what im supposed to do.

First off, the delay itself sounds amazing !! Clean channel is ridiculous !! The slider is great, and the box looks cool. For a buck fifty, you cant go wrong right ??

Well, I guess in the end, you get what you pay for.

The PROBLEMS - This delay is so noisy its stupid. The clean channel is perfect ... its fine, but once I switch my mesa from channel one to channel four with my delay in the signal path, all i hear is " bbuzzzzz hisssss hiiissssssss hiissssss zzzzbbz". Then i unplug my guitar from the delay, and plug it right into the amp ... dead silence. So ya, that really pisses me off.

Second, just like VSTACE said, my brand new battery lasted about 2 hours before the box had a complete heart attack ... but my Boss PSA adaptor works fine.

I read somewhere that the only digital aspect of the pedal was the tap tempo function. So I emailed Ibanez, and asked, "if i dont use the tap tempo, would i get a 100% analog sound without getting in the way of the "digital" tap tempo?" and in fewer words than less, they said that it wouldn't matter because of the a-d converters which come before the tap ... which pretty much means there really isnt anything analog about this pedal at all. Dont get me wrong, everyone and their mother have used good solid digital delays in the past ... but when im in the market for a real good analog delay, I hate it when i feel like I have been "tricked" by clever marketing tactics.

Sounds great tho. I might have to buy a $250 switcher to get the noisy bastard out of my signal path when switching to dirty channel ... Sounds great tho. I dont know what else to say. Theres like a zillion people in this world, so I hope this helped at least one of ya.
By GYang on 16th December 2013
User review
Sound Quality
2 out of 5
Ease of use
3 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
2 out of 5
Overall: 2.5 2.5
Well it does what it does.
Very average sounding, sold it.
Analogue delays both modern and vintage offer more mojo and functions.
Price is low, but not justified, except for low expectations.
IMO pedal has a potential, but requires better analogue path.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search