4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
ADK Thor (T-7)

ADK Thor
So, I just bought that new mic from ADK that combines their S-7 series mics into one cohesive Swiss Army tool for the locker. The T-7 or Thor is a good sounding microphone that’s relatively neutral and has just about every switch you need to custom tailor the mic for any application needed. Seriously. Thor can tackle Male & Female vocals alike, guitar cabs, acoustic guitar, drum overheads, kick drum. At 148db SPL, you can record loud sources without damaging the mic. And it still sounds great!

The low/high, pass/shelf filtering on the mic really makes a big difference on the sound you’re bringing in, and the -8db/-18db pad allows you to record pretty much anything. While this mic is supposed to reproduce the sound of a Neumann U87 would, it gets close, but doesn’t sound as big as it normally would. Could be my crappy pres on my Tascam us-1641. Yeah I know it’s time to upgrade. Get this mic. It will totally be worth it in the end, especially for instruments you’re not quite sure what to use, it might be a good idea to throw this in front of it.

Serial # 0066!

I am in no way affiliated with ADK, but I gotta say, this is an excellent mic for the price. By the way, you can get it on frontendaudio.com for $320 with a cable and a shockmount. $399 everywhere else without the accessories.
By MicMan88 on 15th February 2014
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
Amazing Microphone! Can't believe it's priced under $400!

I got this mic for about $100 less than street value brand new. I have to say it is an incredible sounding microphone. It's just impressive all around. Of course there are three polar patterns : Cardiod - omni - and figure 8.

If you're reading this you've probably already read about the 3 selectable High Frequency switches and Low Pass filters. Each one is very distinct and impressive. I can't believe how professional and smooth this mic sounds.
One thing I love about it is that it takes EQ very very well.

I've only used it for vocals and I'm blown away with the quality of this mic.
I should also note that the noise floor is so incredibly low which allows for a clean loud and clear signal. After using the Thor I'm shocked it's not priced over $1,000. Larry, if you're reading this, thank you thank you thank you for making this mic.

The build quality is fantastic as well. Feels heavy but not unmanageable and the black scheme is awesome. Feels like you're using a mic you don't want anyone to find out about, it sounds that good.

If you're thinking of buying a mic on any budget, I highly recommend the ADK Thor. The Odin apparently sounds the same but it only is in cardiod mode, yet it retains all the other modes and frequencies and cutoff filters. I was close to buying the Odin as I figured all I would need is cardioid mode for vocals but after having the Thor I love having the option to switch between 3 different polar patterns depending on the source.

Can't say enough good things about this mic! Get one!
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search