Login / Register

Wunder Audio CM 67
Wunder Audio CM 67

Wunder Audio CM 67

5 5 (1 Reviews)
The Wunder CM67 is a modern recreation of the famed Neumann U67 from the 1960s.
Links to forum discussions about this product Wunder Audio CM 67

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by Digibear on 19th November 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
Wunder Audio CM 67

The Wunder CM67 is a modern recreation of the famed Neumann U67 from the 1960s. A tube mic, employing the KK67 capsule and an odd filter network dictated by German broadcast requirements of the time, the U67 has been notoriously difficult to replicate in modern times. While there are boundless U47, C12, and 251 replicas, there are remarkably few U67 type despite the well deserved popularity of this mic. Moreover, over the years some have modded their U67 to remove the filters claiming a "purer" signal path. If buying a vintage unit, it's hard to know what you're getting.

Enter Mike Castoro and Wunder Audio. Mike is well known for his recreations of vintage mics including the C12, U49, and U47. I have owned a Wunder
CM7 (U47) for many years and adore it. When Wunder announced that they were going to reproduce the U67 (a fav of mine), I was eager to try it out. We arranged to shoot out several potential new mics as well as the CM7 we own.

The CM67 was everything we expected: lush, extended highs, tight, extended lows, and a present but not exaggerated midrange. Clarity and mild warmth for miles! Having used numerous Neumann U67 over the years, my reaction was a broad smile and a "hello old friend". This mic trounced all the others in our shootout with the exception of the CM7 (which really is a different beast altogether).

Comparing the CM67 and CM7, the CM7 is rounder, more low and high mid-forward, less tight and extended in the bass, less extended and silky in the highs. Sort of CM67 plus CM7 equals flat, but not really. Besides, who wants flat? I prefer tasty, and that exactly what you get with these mics.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search