Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Behringer Truth 3031a

I just got these, I was hesitating between these and Prodipe Ribbon 8 which I heard in a store. I finally went with Behringer for (don't laugh!) quality reasons and ...

I'm very happy I did

They sound quite neutral out of the box, stay balanced at very low or high volume, there is a lot of power reserve, you can definitely blast your ears if required. The soundstage is just a tad less detailed than Genelec 1031APM (which I know really well) but still quite good, dynamics seem similar with a focused low end (I think the more expensive originals are actually more flattering in the lows), in your face mids and treble (with almost no hype). To be honest I was expecting more brilliance from the ribbon tweeters and am pleasantly surprised at their more than decent behaviour.

The horizontal sweetspot is incredibly big, moving around is no longer an issue, no wonder Adam are so successful . Vertical directivity is quite strong however, place them at the right height!

Nice too: low self noise (hiss), no noticeable transformer hum, the OdB notch on the trim potentiometer, no port chuff that I could notice.

Out of the box the input trim is at -6dB, when I tried them initially I thought they were lacking lows, turns out that once the trim is set to 0dB, the lows appear ...

It seems to me that they play in a different league than the similar priced competition (Fostex PM2, Mackie MR8, KRK RP8) and I would not be scared to mix on these even if there are better much more expensive monitors, but in this price range, wow! Definately check these out if you don't have thousands to spend, and make sure input trim is flat as attenuation cleary changes the monitor's response.

On the side: I saw a lot of hype about these on home cinema forums, I actually wouldn't recommend them for that, a more hifi-ish sound (The Ribbon 8's for instance) would achieve better results.
By neeko on 28th December 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
I rely on them for composing and mixing. They sound quite transparent and accurate. These are the closest thing I've heard to the high end transparency of my other set (Adam A7X). The low end sound is very smooth and warm. The adjustments on the back allow you to tailor the sound to your environment which can be quite useful. The crossovers sound great as well. Overall, for the price, they are great value! 4/5
By ShadowAMD on 13th January 2013
User review
Sound Quality
2 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 3.25 3.25
Behringer B3031A

After accidentally damaging some Adam A7's in conjunction with being low on funds at the time, I decided to try the Behringers as I find badges and brands irrelevant as long as the product is good. For the price it was a stop gap before proceeding to buy some Event Opals, I thought it might be a good Idea to keep around for reference.

Which is exactly what they are good for, a reference. After months of trying, I couldn't trust the Behringers to tell the truth.. Mixes came out bass heavy and boxy for reasons unknown, they are a pleasure to listen to although there translation value is lacking.

I find the stereo field mirky and muddy.. I would of liked to put these issues down to my room, but I never had these issues with the Adams or previous set of Sonodynes.

So in conclusion, a great piece of starter gear at a cost effective price. But inadequate as a main monitor.
By p00pstar on 16th March 2013
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Smile Very, very good

They are cheap, powered, above-decent sounding, good-looking (based on Adam's, no secrets there) and they can stand some serious abuse.

Great starter monitors, but for serious mixing / translation you should get something better.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search