Login / Register

Sony F780 Dynamic Microphone
Sony F780

Sony F780

4 4 (1 Reviews)
I know this mic is not very popular but I think you are missing out on something special.
Links to forum discussions about this product Sony F780 Dynamic Microphone

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by prizebeatz1 on 18th May 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Sony F780 Dynamic Microphone

When I first got this microphone I was a little disappointed. I was expecting a lot more. In fact I was tempted to sell it. However, after putting it through it's paces I have come to understand what this mic is all about. It's a very classy microphone. There is very subdued handling noise and it controls pops fairly well. Sibilance is not much of an issue but it is there if you really listen for it. This microphone records audio with somewhat of a natural compression and evenness. It has a very controlled sound to it. I am using this mic strictly for home studio vocals but I'm certain it would do well with other applications.

I am glad I gave this microphone a chance rather than selling it. What nailed it for me was when I was able to put this microphone in somewhat of a treated environment and then remove the metal grill. Once I did those two things I realized how awesome of a mic this is. I'm not saying that it's sound is worth more than the cost and I am not saying that the sound is worth less than what it costs. I take it for what it is, nothing more, nothing less. However, I will say this... I just recorded this mic against a Shure KSM 32 and this microphone held it's own. It sounded very close to the quality of the KSM. I was kind of impressed. I almost feel that I can sell all of my other microphones and make do with just this one. But who am I kidding? I don't think that is going to happen!

Update:
The more I use this mic the more I like it. This is the best mic I have used yet. It is extra transparent. I actually put it up against the Shure KSM 44 recently and I actually preferred the Sony for its transparency. The KSM has a touch more color. Not necessarily a bad thing but my ears are biased toward this Sony. I'm still trying to find a mic that will knock the Sony F780 off of the throne that I have it on but so far all contenders have failed.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search