Yamaha HS50M & HS10W
Yamaha

Yamaha

5 5 (1 Reviews)
A home theater system is one thing; an audiophile’s theater system is another. This will get you to the post house in which they mixed the movie. For the HS50M & HS10W sitting respectably under the thousand dollar range, these monitors are unbeatable.
Yamaha HS50M & HS10W

Published by allawishus on 15th February 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
Yamaha HS50M & HS10W

I heard these 6 or 7 years ago and thought they sounded like shit.
Now, I understand.
They are true mixing speakers. When I first heard them I was only used to hearing usual monitor speakers. The type of speakers that inspire you to compose but don't help you finalise a mix.
I've worked for years with mostly mackie 624 and adam a7 plus various others.

I would not use the hs50 as a composing speaker because I'm used to creating tracks on a something which gives me a vibe. But this kind of speaker is invaluable in correcting a final mix.

I recently visited a pro audio shop to listen to monitors. My intention was finding a mix monitor to compliment my mackie composing speakers. I thought I would leave with the yamaha msp5 after hearing them previously.

They had a good listening environment and a wall of monitors including focal (40,50,twin),adam(a7x, a8x), genelec(8040,8050), dynaudio (bm12,bm15), yamaha (msp5, hs50), acoustic energy ae22.

The best mixing speakers by a long way were the ae22.
super clear mid range, so honest, limited but honest bass.
big suprise were the bm15a (bm12 were no where near) great present mid with big bass. but too big for my room.

The yamaha msp5 were something similar to what i had with my mackies. If they were you only speaker in this small factor range I would go with these.

But then I heard the hs50m.
They were the closest by far to my favs, the ae22. They shared the same forward mid range character, with much less fine resolution in the mid and top end, but still they had that same character.

and they were the cheapest by far.

Exactly what i was looking for.

I'm really happy with this purchase, they helped me fix mix problems straight out of the box.

They will remain a 2nd speaker,, but until I can get some ae22's. They are the best option for me.

Absolute bargain.
By Cegor on 30th April 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
Yamaha HS50M & HS10W

Yamaha HS50M's

When people jump into recording and producing, the first thing that comes to mind, "I need flat speakers". More often than not, every speaker discussion comes back to how flat the response is compared to said A or B speaker. When I started producing, if you’d like to call it that, I worked on a 2.1 Hi-fi Altec Lansing speaker system I got from a local Fry’s Electronics Store. How I managed to work on projects when I couldn't hear anything above 7 kHz was beside me.

The time came where I needed to upgrade my monitoring chain. I did the same thing as every one of you, spent countless hours looking through Sweetwater, Vintage King, Guitar Center, and every possible thread here on Gearslutz to get an idea of what I wanted, and could afford. The worst part is, after countless hours of never ending circles, we all still looked blankly up at our ceilings unsure what to get.

First Impressions -

When I made the plunge with the Yamaha HS50's, I wasn't sure what to expect. All I really knew was that the HS Series was the updated little brother of the NS10's. Regardless, these were my first studio monitors and I was ecstatic. With my first few critical listening sessions, I was blown away by the sheer detail these monitors exposed.

On the back side of the Yamaha HS50 rest four EQ options. A +/- 2db Hi-Shelf filter at 3 KHz is the first of the four. When set to +2db, they imitate their legendary older brothers, the NS10M's. Accompanying the Hi-Shelf, there is a +/- 2db Bell filter at 2khz, a 80/100hz Hi-Pass filter, and for helping accommodate any bass buildup, there is a -2/-4 dB Low-Shelf filter at 500hz named, “Room Control”.

High's -

Dropping a pin on an acapella take is precise and audible. You can even count how many times it bounces off the floor. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but the highs of these are precise and give you the air and clarity you need to let any mix, "breath". If anything regarding the high end of your mix isn’t right, the HS50’s will tell you. From sibilance in a vocal track, the snare in a drum kit, or a cymbal / hi-hat with too much high end, you will hear it, and you will hear it immediately.

I’ve found that upon setting the Hi-Shelf EQ to +2db at 3khz, accompanied with the +2db bell at 2khz, I can go in much deeper into the mix, allowing me to be very precise and surgical with my EQ. As a lot of you know, there’s no better feeling then checking your mixes in headphones and having them sound identical to your monitors.

Mids

When it comes down to it, mid-range is the only part of music that everyone single speaker can play back. While some people might have huge subwoofers, others might be listening on something like the 2.1 Altec Lansing setup I was talking about earlier. I consider the mid-range to be 600hz to 3.5khz and these speakers do an excellent job at reproducing that key region.

Lows

For those not fortunate enough to pair the HS10W subwoofer with these, you’re missing it. While these monitors are overall amazing, the low end is where these monitors meet their defeat. With their frequency response ending at 40hz, there is a lot left to be wanted. The low end rumble of an electronic kick drum can’t be heard properly. To compensate, many end up turning up their low minds resulting in a muddy mix. You can take that from me, I did it, many times..
If you’re an artist that’s recording yourself singing, some piano, or guitar, the monitors themselves would be great. The high’s and mid-range of these speakers translate very well and you can be rest assured that you’ll be happy with your investment.

Yamaha Hs10W

After countless hours of fighting with my speakers to give me true bass definition, I opted to get the HS10w. After reading all the reviews about it, I came across one review that said, "I don't know why I didn't get this sooner". That completely sums up how I feel about the Yamaha Subwoofer.

First Impressions -

Upon introducing a subwoofer, everything I listened too sounded muddy and unclear in the low end. The low end was there but it wasn’t defined as I’d hope. That’s when I realized I was having my HS50’s and my HS10W attempting to cover the same low range frequencies.
I found the best sounding crossover point with the HS50 and HS10W to be at 80 Hz. 100 Hz took out a lot of the punch from the kick drum and almost sounded as if someone threw a blanket on the 80-200Hz range.

Lows -

The HS10W is your missing puzzle piece to your monitoring chain. With the frequencies response of 30Hz-180HZ and an 8” 120watt down-firing subwoofer, worries about your low end will become a thing of the past.

Overall -

For the HS50’s retailing at $199 each, or $400 a pair, these monitors are a steal for what you get in the terms of quality and true sound. Combined with what could be called a 4 band EQ, these monitors can be adjusted to sound great in any environment or upon taste. The HS10W is the perfect addition to these almost perfect project studio monitors. With that retailing at $399, you can get that much closer to producing something you’ll be proud to stand behind.

A home theater system is one thing; an audiophile’s theater system is another. This will get you to the post house in which they mixed the movie.
By kr2p on 27th September 2013
All round great product

As the other reviews state these are a fantastic pair of speakers, but before going into detail in each area of review I'll give an overall description of my experience with them.

I have had mine for around 2 years now, I bought them as I needed a good solid pair of monitors to take with me to uni to continue mixing, but nothing too expensive as if they got ruined by a party I didn't want to fork out big bucks to have them replaced. They have stayed together extremely well in this time, I have to move out of halls each term so I've made dozens of car journeys with them, dropped them a couple of times, and apart from a few scratches they work as good as new.

The cost is low but the don't feel cheap by anyone's standards. They are pretty heavy which adds to the feel and also helps the sound out, but mostly it gives me the impression of them being very durable which they are! The design is slick and simple, with a single classy light on the front of each to show when they've been turned on. Beautiful speaker that give a beautiful sound, which I will go into now...

Sound Quality
These sound great, not just great but flat and accurate. They sound great in the way that they are neither flattering nor offensive, but just a great accurate reproduction of the sound, which is what you want from a monitor.
However, as has been said before, the bass isn't quite there. I wouldn't rely on these for much below about 70-80Hz, so they aren't great for dance or pop music in my opinion. I mostly mix rock/experimental/acoustic stuff which doesn't require huge bass so for my needs they reproduce what I need to hear, but I would suggest a subwoofer or the HS80's if you need to go lower hence only the 4 stars in this area.

Ease Of Use
I'm not really sure what to say here.. you plug them in and they work. The controls for power and volume are around the back which can be a bit of a pain but I'm being nit-picky here, they're just speakers.

Features
For speakers they offer a lot of flexibility. There's mid eq, low cut, room control, and high trim controls on the back. A lot more than I expected to get from a speaker, especially in this price range! I rarely if ever use a lot of these features though, but other people almost certainly do so it's nice to have them there. Also the volume control has a center detent which is nice as it makes it easy to get the speakers the same level. XLR and jack inputs in the back of each make connecting things up much more versatile!

Bang For Buck
This is where these speakers really excel. They could easily stand up to much higher priced units, and if you can't afford more there's absolutely no reason not to get these.

In conclusion these speakers are great, they do exactly what you want them to do for a fraction of the price of other similar quality speakers. They've never failed on me, never hissed or buzzed, they've been as faithful to me as they have to my music, and I feel pretty confident that a mix made on these is a mix I can rely on.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search