Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
Diamond Pedals CPR-1 compressor

This review is about the Diamond pedals compression pedal . It is called a compression pedal but in actuality it's more like a miniature channel strip for guitar . It's use full on synths as well . There is a version specifically for bass as well . This pedal sounds darn good . So , what your looking at here is a compressor which is using a vactoral opto-isolator variable resistance path which is giving you a smooth attack and decay while still preserving your initial transient . So a nice opto comp circuit followed by a tilt EQ . If you've ever used a tilt eq you'll no how effective and immediate they can be in shaping your sound . That is followed by a Volume knob which can also be used as a boost . A small channel strip in pedal form made with high grade components . There are even a few hidden options accessed internally .

BUILD - Solid . Metal case with the standard Diamond Logo and labeling . 3 sturdy plastic knobs . metal On/Off toggle . This pedal is true bypass . LED indicating activity status . It glows green then orange when compression is introduced .

FUNCTION - A knob labeled compression . I find 1 or 2 o'clock are nice general settings . Higher settings are still quite usable but the compression is much more obvious , not heavy handed though so it's useable . Great for lead lines actually . One knob labeled EQ . This is a tilt EQ . At the noon position both low and high are equally represented . As you tilt it side to side It boosts high or low while lowering the other with a shelf that doesn't sound overly steep . The pedal ships with a frequency range of 90HZ to 20KHZ . There is an internal jumper that changes this frequency range rolling back the highs to 4KHZ . This allows you to use a distortion pedal next in the change without excessive stingy upper frequencies mudding up your tone .

SOUND - Well the sound is subtle as it's an opto compressor . It's leveling without stamping your tone with color . It thickens your tone a bit because of the leveling and boosting . The EQ is smooth as well . I like that they took this route . Your pedals and amp are free to color the sound . It makes a decent, clean boost pedal as well but I most likely would just use a boost pedal for this sort of practice.

CONCLUSION - This is probably the best thought out compression pedal for guitar that I've had a chance to use under $200 . It's so clean and pro sounding that I wouldn't hesitate to record with it . Maybe kissing the signal with an outboard compressor after a pre-amp before heading into my A/D . Diamond is my current favorite Boutique company . They make great analog pedals with very high quality components that make them great for studio use . Low noise and great tones . You don't need to go any further then Diamond Pedals to achieve great results .
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search