Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
Marshall 1 Watt JTM1H

This review is about the Marshall 1 Watt JTM 1 H . It is a limited run Class A hand wired 1 watt amp that honors the JTM 45 of the 1960's . This year is Marshals 50 year anniversary . And that's called a Jubilee kids . Marshall are releasing a 1 Watt amp every eleven weeks going by decade . They are releasing a JCM 800 1 watt this summer . Do not stand between me and that amp the first day they are available ! Any ways , The JTM1 has a cool vintage look . When you hear it next to a Marshall Class 5 you can here the JTM is a class A amp . Not to take anything away from the Class 5 because it's a pretty solid amp .

BUILD - Quality Marshall build . This amp is hand wired . Yeah ! hand wired goodness . It has a step down attenuator that goes down to .01 of a Watt . 1 watt is plenty loud for an apartment . I'm glad that it has this feature and yes it's a bit of a tone suck engaged but the cops won't come knocking on my door either . It still sounds good engaged though . There are 2 ECC83's and 1 ECC82 in the tube section .

FUNCTION - there are to knobs only . One Loudness and One Tone knob . It's a plug in and play amp . Turn the amp up and roll back your guitar's volume for clean tones then turn that volume up for gain and meat .

SOUND - Now it's not as meaty as a JMP or Plexi or JCM . When this thing is cranked I bang out some power chords and think "The Who" - "I can't explain" . That is a lovely sound to my ears . The volume rolled back gives it that nice Marshall clean sound where the highs are subdued a bit . I've always enjoyed Marshall's clean tones . I know I should be made fun of for saying that and I appreciate a Fenders pristine clean tones . Marshall's cleans seem nicely and naturally compressed to me . This would be a great blues amp . Also maybe like early seventies AC/DC hard rock or Garage rock . Your choice of guitar makes a huge difference of course . A Les Paul sounds pretty big through this amp . Where a Tele or Strat brings me back to "The Who" .

CONCLUSION - I love that Marshall have made this line for their Anniversary . It's perfect for my home studio . And I can plug into a 4X12 cab and rock out if need be . Great Class A tone for the bedroom player or home studio . Even a regular studio if you need to jump straight to the meat of the amp with out shattering glass . The retail for like $850 . It may seem expensive but making a one watt amp by hand in merry ol' England comes at a price . I like my Vox Hand-wired . It was made in China . It still retails for the smallest of fortunes and may have a few inferior parts . Plus this is a limited run according to Marshall . So if you want to get this sound for the bedroom the time is now .
By open.concept on 30th April 2014
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
The JTM1H is NOT hand wired!!

I don't know where OP got the idea that the JTM1H is a hand wired amp but it is NOT. Each and every one of the Marshall 50th Anniversary 1 watters are built using a printed circuit board.

This is not to say that it isn't a fine little amp - personally, I love mine. However, it's very unfortunate that this sort of disinformation is out there. This is the first article that came up when I did a search for "JTM1H review" so it's important to get the facts straight.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search