Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
Marshall 1 Watt JTM1H

This review is about the Marshall 1 Watt JTM 1 H . It is a limited run Class A hand wired 1 watt amp that honors the JTM 45 of the 1960's . This year is Marshals 50 year anniversary . And that's called a Jubilee kids . Marshall are releasing a 1 Watt amp every eleven weeks going by decade . They are releasing a JCM 800 1 watt this summer . Do not stand between me and that amp the first day they are available ! Any ways , The JTM1 has a cool vintage look . When you hear it next to a Marshall Class 5 you can here the JTM is a class A amp . Not to take anything away from the Class 5 because it's a pretty solid amp .

BUILD - Quality Marshall build . This amp is hand wired . Yeah ! hand wired goodness . It has a step down attenuator that goes down to .01 of a Watt . 1 watt is plenty loud for an apartment . I'm glad that it has this feature and yes it's a bit of a tone suck engaged but the cops won't come knocking on my door either . It still sounds good engaged though . There are 2 ECC83's and 1 ECC82 in the tube section .

FUNCTION - there are to knobs only . One Loudness and One Tone knob . It's a plug in and play amp . Turn the amp up and roll back your guitar's volume for clean tones then turn that volume up for gain and meat .

SOUND - Now it's not as meaty as a JMP or Plexi or JCM . When this thing is cranked I bang out some power chords and think "The Who" - "I can't explain" . That is a lovely sound to my ears . The volume rolled back gives it that nice Marshall clean sound where the highs are subdued a bit . I've always enjoyed Marshall's clean tones . I know I should be made fun of for saying that and I appreciate a Fenders pristine clean tones . Marshall's cleans seem nicely and naturally compressed to me . This would be a great blues amp . Also maybe like early seventies AC/DC hard rock or Garage rock . Your choice of guitar makes a huge difference of course . A Les Paul sounds pretty big through this amp . Where a Tele or Strat brings me back to "The Who" .

CONCLUSION - I love that Marshall have made this line for their Anniversary . It's perfect for my home studio . And I can plug into a 4X12 cab and rock out if need be . Great Class A tone for the bedroom player or home studio . Even a regular studio if you need to jump straight to the meat of the amp with out shattering glass . The retail for like $850 . It may seem expensive but making a one watt amp by hand in merry ol' England comes at a price . I like my Vox Hand-wired . It was made in China . It still retails for the smallest of fortunes and may have a few inferior parts . Plus this is a limited run according to Marshall . So if you want to get this sound for the bedroom the time is now .
By open.concept on 30th April 2014
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
The JTM1H is NOT hand wired!!

I don't know where OP got the idea that the JTM1H is a hand wired amp but it is NOT. Each and every one of the Marshall 50th Anniversary 1 watters are built using a printed circuit board.

This is not to say that it isn't a fine little amp - personally, I love mine. However, it's very unfortunate that this sort of disinformation is out there. This is the first article that came up when I did a search for "JTM1H review" so it's important to get the facts straight.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search