Boss Dr-880 Dr.Rhythm (Drum Machine)

4.25 4.25 (1 Reviews)
Here is what i think is largely underestimated little devil Boss Dr-880 drum machine... here is why.
More information about Boss Dr-880 Dr.Rhythm (Drum Machine)

< >

Published by A.K on 27th April 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25

Ok Guys, this is my very first entry as i am a new member to this community... I typed this machine and is not showing in the search and i understand it’s not the best in the market, but for the relation between the price, size, sound and functionality i think is worth having a go at it.

Most of what i have in my studio was largely discussed anyway....

So let me state that in my personal opinion it is undervalued piece of a gear, to me this is a power set of quality drums, percussions and bass sounds.
And let me tell you they sound just as i would want the drum machine to sound, great !!! Sounds come from Roland World Famous Srx Libary.

The unit at first feels small but this can also be an advantage for it’s compact size and if you are use to big pads like Akai Mpc for example it will take some time to get use to , be patient is worth it.

Very quickly you get dragged in to a massive presets library where you can finds just about any style of drums and top it up with a bass if you want to, this is very handy as the drums and bass have separate knobs which allows you to make fast decisions on what’s best or what you want to use.

Apart from the presets you can choose a large number of different feels and styles for every preset, you can edit the sounds add efx , modify the groove any way you like it. very quickly you will realise that this small machine has a lot to offer.

You also have a separate knob for a guitar or bass which is great for a jamming sessions or any type of recording .

At the back : Unbalanced I/O , digital out, Midi I/O, Usb , Individual outs and exp pedal.

What i really like is that you can easily run this machine in to your DAW set up a Midi track for it and a separate Au track, as there is no dedicated plug in you need to be smart with your routing, then record that midi...that if you find programming difficult on the unit itself. You can just program it in your favourite DAW. This is what i do all the time and the machine will play back any changes you make to the recorded midi on your screen. Lot more editing power, and you can map your midi to a different controller if you think this pads are to small... Handy !!!!

Navigating the unit and getting to know all the exits is fairly easy but there is a lot to it so it will take some time to master. For a semi-pro producers like my if you just wanna plug and go it will take you two minutes to set it up so there is a flexibility for everyone i guess.

If you want to get really technical have look at the link i have included what i am doing here is just a personal round up... I know there are better ways for all the professional guys here, there are things that probably sound better then Dr-880, but i am sure there are also many guys here that would not turn this Little Big Machine (What I call it ) down...

So thumb up for Dr880, worth the money 100%, one of the best all in one units i have come across, highly recommended .

Wow, that’s a lot i guess so if you got to this point thank you for reading i hope this was helpfull :-)
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search