Login / Register

XQP Disrupter

4.75 4.75 (1 Reviews)
The most unique compressor with "transparent" distortion!!!
Links to forum discussions about this product XQP Disrupter

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by janjaal on 31st March 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
XQP Disrupter

first of all, i have more expensive compressors in my studio, like the little devil and 525 for 500 series, and got la2a and 1176 in my rack, so do not doubt my positive impressions.
this compressor is very simple to use. it has an input button that you can engage or bypass the unit.
then it has a knob called Disruption. this knob compresses the signal. but only compresses the top half of the signal wave and leaves the lower wave untouched. there is an X4 button, that when engaged, the compression is multiplied by 4. that means extreme compression.
the make up knob keeps the signal at original level when it's left on number 20. (the knob goes from 0 to 40)
i first started with drums going thru this unit. the compression generated distortion, and as much as you compress, you distort the signal. However, the distortion is NOTHING like the distortion plugs in my cubase DAW. it's clean, and creamy, the punch is still there, but it sounds distorted without bothering my ear. this was very surprising because any distortion plug i have ever used made things harsh and dirty and unpleasant.
with bass and other instruments like guitar, keys, synths etc, it again compresses the signal into distortion, HOWEVER, it gives a special punch to the signal that cuts thru the mix perfectly. it eventually became my secret weapon. whatever signal i have problems with to eq in the mix, just goes into this compressor and perfectly sits in the mix.
then i moved on to vocals. my chain was GR pre, little devil comp, derresser. i sing punk and psycho stuff. and for my purpose, this comp became my favorite tracking comp at the end of my vocal chain. my studio partner records R&B and whenever he goes into the recording room, he goes "turn on the clean distortion" and he sounds amazing by having his vox tracked into this comp.
i don't know if i should call this unit a compressor, or a distortion box. well it does both but like nothing else. the compression is unique, so as the distortion. very colored and warm unit i would call it.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search