Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
Apogee Duet 2

Apogee Duet 2 offers very high quality sound for little bit below 500 euros. It comes with a breakout cable, ac adapter and usb cable for connecting the device.

Sound quality is very good in Duet 2. Lows are tight, mids solid and altho the highs can be little bit overhyped, depending on taste. It offers a pristine quality for any homemusician or professional engineer. The presentation of stereoimage is clear.

Duet 2 is controlled by the rotary knob, 2 touchscreen button and maestro software. The touchscreen buttons can be user assignable for preferred taste, which is nice. Maestro in other hand is very simple and easily configurable software.

There are 2 ins and 4 outs. For a laptop producer this is very well enough. If your desire more outputs Duet 2 is upgradeable with the breakoutbox. Apogee updates the drivers in a decent time matter.

Overally I have been very happy with duet 2 and have had no errors or bugs with it. I think it is a little bit too pricey for it to receive a 10 on bang for buck. More suitable price would be about 350 euros in my opinion. It is hard to point much deficits in Duet 2, it's price on mind. But I would recommend it for first audio interface to anyone who doesnt need the extra inputs. These are my thoughts as an starting producer and composer who mainly does electronic music and work mainly "in-the-box".

I hope this could be some help, for someone thinking of buying or not purchasing Duet 2.
By D.J.KMC on 2nd April 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
Does Apogee's Duet 2 Do it?

Yes it does !!! Apogees Duet 2 does everything I need it to do. From it's sexy design, to it's portability and of course, it's great sounding analog to digital/digital to analog converters. Now with an extra set of balanced TRS outputs, I can take it to another studio if I need to, and plug in. Apogee's reputation stays intact IMHO, and with a great lineup of affordable, yet great sounding products, seems poised to continue in that vein. 24 bit/192KHZ capable, the duet 2's software control ,Maestro2, is intuitive and extremely easy to navigate. Two touch sensitive recessed buttons on the left and right of the big knob allow you to switch between mute, peak reset, sum to mono, and dim.
Very handy when those late night sessions get a little high strung. The mic preamps are clear, and although Im not fortunate to have had access to anything better, these preamps are waaaay better than any product i've used thus far.

I used to be of the inclination that, "ähh these manufacturers are ripping us off"..... I thought conversion was math, and math was math. Apogee Duet 2 changed my perception of how digital audio could sound.
The soft limit feature, after the preamps is high on my list too, I don't need to buy a limiter!!!....would love too... but gotta eat.
So in conclusion, I would like anyone with an Apple rig and a spare usb 2.0 port to give it a whirl and support Apogee.
Attached Thumbnails
Apogee Duet 2-img_20120331_141512.jpg  
Last edited by D.J.KMC; 2nd April 2012 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Photo
By Nikhil Suresh on 29th July 2013
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
awesome interface!

after months of pondering over what unit to get, i finally made the choice of a duet 2.

SOUND QUALITY: let me just run through the awesomeness of the unit before getting into the issue i faced. The clarity, definition, imaging and depth of the sound just almost instantly sky rocketed. I was previously just listening through the macbook soundcard, and wow, what an advancement. I mean i've worked in studios with rosettas, the avid hd cards n etc.. and always came back home to check the mix i did to see how it translated to my headphones (Shure SRH440)... and was always feeling that the depth was lacking and the mix was a bit dull and undefined on the cans. I was unable to hear the verbs and the delays n all that cool stuff, and i just attributed it to the headphones i was using, thinking it was just how they sounded.. but man, i was in for a surprise.

With the duet, it almost feels as if i was back in the studio listening to my mixes, all the delays, all the verbs right there. You can hear every detail of the mix. Stereo imaging is as clear as it can get on headphones, all toms sound like they're where they're supposed to be and not just like a farty blow emanating from some unknown central source. The low end, and the highs, tight and crisp as far as the headphones allow them to be. The mids, beautifully defined. Overall, awesome unit.. loved it, easy as **** to use, awesome sound quality.

Havent tried a mic with it just yet, am hoping to do that soon. Recorded DI bass with it, sounded quite nice, also DI guitars. Both the DI's actually sounded fairly clean in the sense that through the duet, the captured sound was the exact tonal quality of the bass and the guitar (for ex, if the guitar sounds tight in the low end and crisp in the highs through an amp (at flat settings, none of it was compromised in the DI recording).

A WARNING FOR ALL USERS WITH SNOW LEOPARD: update your software to 10.6.8 before installing the software. I have a macbook, with snow leopard, and at the time of installing the duet, which i purchased just a few days ago, I was running 10.6.6 and f*ck dude, I was hurdled with problems. I installed the previous drivers which i found off the apogee site, and connected the unit, and was running maestro 1.9, everything was fine, the laptop recognised the unit, so the protools and logic BUT maestro did not. The purple A kept showing on the unit. Sound was passing through the unit, just that i was unable to meter it off the duet. Anyways, took me about 2-3 hrs but i finally did an update to osx 10.6.8 (snow leopard) which is what the latest drivers require to run, and bam, it worked instantly.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search