Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
Wormhole2

I want to share my excitement over this little helper plugin with you.
Wormhole2 (further referred to as WH2) allows you to route audio through a network connection from one computer to the other (and back if you like, e.g. after processing it). It´s available for Mac and PC and also allows to interconnect Macs/PCs. And the best thing, it´s free!

I recently combined studio gear with a friend in a shared space.
I am used to (and love) working in Logic on a white Macbook. The friend of mine works on a Desktop PC with Reaper. He owns the UAD2 PCI card and quite some plugins with it. So I was looking for a way to benefit from the UADs as well

The solution was WH2! I had the whole setup going in 15 minutes. (I reserved like two hours that night and couldn´t believe it working after such short time).

So far I have routed a max of four audio tracks from Mac to PC and back (operating WH2 in insert form), but they say with 100mBit you can route 30 mono channels max. The integrated delay measurement reports the latency quite correctly to the host. (maybe a sample here or there – I had no luck parallel compressing drums, which led to comb filtering, but I also didn´t tweak the latency settings).

Also coming back to the session a few days later was without problems (tried opening it from scratch four times – no hassle).

And if you´re into committing you can always record the effect and be done with the network connection.

There are some tiny kinks, like a dropout every now and then, and also a pop when starting audio, but nothing that was a deal breaker. It´s open source, so if you find something that really bothers you you can roll up your sleeves and get coding

All in all I feel now like I have more or less “transparent” (workflow wise – audio is also identical of course) access to my friends plugin library over network
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search