Login / Register

Mackie Control
Mackie Control

Mackie Control

4.5 4.5 (1 Reviews)
Main functions of your mix at your fingertips.
Mackie Control
More information about Mackie Control

< >
Add Review
Subscribe

Published by Gertius on 30th March 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Mackie Control

I recently bought a Mackie Control plus extender (the old one used) and can´t believe how great it is!
I must add that I mainly use Logic 9 and the integration here is nothing short of phenomenal.

The things I mainly used so far are setting levels with the faders (also automation) and EQing the track.

The MCU in Logic has a great mode for EQing where you see the 8 bands of an EQ at once and can adjust the frequency with the rotary encoder and do the gain with the fader (the Q unfortunately has to be done in another mode or on-screen).

Before this experience I would have never guessed that it takes so much auditory consciousness away to stare at the computer screen. Setting a level through a fader with your eyes closed is a game changer for me really! (overused term for lots of stuff but here really fitting even though it´s such a simple thing)

Sometimes the function you want to control can be a bit difficult to access, but I think with time you´ll get more fluent using the MCU. Also the main functions (transport, fader, pan, automation) are easily accessible.

One thing I should add: I believe for a controller to make sense you have to have a tiny display like on the MCU to show track names (imagine switching banks etc). There are so many out there without it and I can´t imagine working intuitively with that.

The MCU has been updated to the PRO model a few years back, but as far as I´ve read it only differs in looks, integrated USB-MIDI interface and mechanically slightly better faders. Buying a used old one for around one third of the price I couldn´t be happier.

EDIT: I have upped "Sound quality" to 10. Please note that the MCU doesn´t process audio at all. I just did not want the score to be bad because of this. (unfortunately the scoring system does not allow to leave one category blank)
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search