Login / Register

reFX NEXUS 2

3.6 3.6 (3 Reviews)
Very Modern-sounding VST/AU/RTAS-plugin software synth. For dance-producers mainly. A world-standard-must-have-plugin.
Links to forum discussions about this product reFX NEXUS 2

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by Tasto on 29th March 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
reFX NEXUS 2

reFX NEXUS 2 is a wonderful software synth. For dance-producers this is probably the best one ever. It has it all. From distorted sqaure leads to cutting saw pads, crispy basses and soft synth strings - NEXUS handles everything. It is not just another emulation of an already existing awesome hardware synth like the JUNO or MOOG. In fact, it really has its own sound and you can really tell when someone used NEXUS in a production. Of course, you can tweak the sounds very closely to the vintage synths but it's originality is in the digital presets.

For a quite small amount of money you get the base package of this virtual monster. You can create your own bundle with all the xp's reFX are offering, but even if you just choose the base package- you'll probably get very excited!

This is a perfect tool for every producer who wants a more modern touch in his/her production. The presets are also very inspiring and sounds REALLY good from the beginning. You don't have to tweak everything for it to sound as you'd like it to do. The best thing though, is that you have the opportunity to tweak if you'd like. NEXUS 2 comes with advanced arpeggio and trance gate functions as well as brilliant filters, and FX (Reverb, Delay, Bitcrusher etc.)

The only negative thing I can think of is something that you easily can turn into something positive - which is its caracteristic "sound". Nowadays, NEXUS 2 is used in almost every dance production and you can really hear it. On the other hand, reFX must be very proud coming up with something that is both caracteristic and people seem to like it that much.

I don't know if I would survive creating dance music without this tool and I'm pretty sure many producers is on my team. I love it- and I'm sure you'll do too.

Note: NEXUS 2 is MAINLY for dance music. Of course you can use it many other different genres too. It comes with so many sounds you can try it on everything!
By nznexus on 24th November 2012
User review
Sound Quality
3 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
2 out of 5
Overall: 3 3
alright. so this is going the be a review from a pro nexus user who has been using this plugin since the beginning.

this plugin is mostly geared towards dance and trance music, has the same quality almost like a virus c..

now nexus is basically sampled hardware...
nexus is good for leads and stuff like that, but the rest of it isnt that good at all. it offers expansions for different types of music genres.

the sound quality is not the best. the reverb is not good
the delay are an OK effect in nexus.

has trancegate and arpeggio, not so useful.
offers poly and other portamento settings... can be useful on leads and glides on basses.

has some interesting basses to offer, everything from sinewave to square to saw basses.

the arpeggios in nexus can be useful for layering with other sounds.

has many sounds that you hear in your favourite songs.
many presets are almost the same.

this plugin is very easy to use. has different skins everything from yellow to black.

has an inbuilt equalizer, which is OK. has different distortion and phaser , chorus, stereo widening effects built in which can be useful at times.

this plugin is overrated.
By p00pstar on 16th March 2013
User review
Sound Quality
3 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
2 out of 5
Overall: 3.25 3.25
Unhappy Too much hype for wet sounds

I've been using it for over 2 years now and here are my conclusions:

Pros:

- lots of presets that sound good at first: pads, leads, plucks etc.
- since there are lots of bread & butter sounds you can move quickly with your composition.
- the presets are somewhat tweakable, but not very radical.

Cons:

- i think all of the presets have some delays and reverbs added and sound great when you play them solo. However, when you try to mix them you tend to reduce the amount of fx due to the muddiness that comes with it. In the end, it will not sound as big as it was on solo. So it's basically a waste of time.
- for better presets and new sounds you need to buy expansions.

Conclusion:

While it can help develop your song (you can move quickly thru the presets and they are filtered by type: pianos, basses, pads etc.) you will find that in the end it just adds a lot of hiss, mud and overtones due to the extensive use of reverbs and delays.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search