Login / Register

Neumann U47
Neumann U47

Neumann U47

4 4 (1 Reviews)
Original Neumann U47 mic found in closet after 20 years not being used, working in great order without any static!
Links to forum discussions about this product Neumann U47

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by Jeconia on 28th March 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Neumann U47

Hello everybody,

This is my first review! I was looking on the Universal Audio site and saw that you can win an apollo audio interface if you review a product of yourself. That would be great for the studio I am building. Last year I found a Neumann U47 in a closet. It was the neumann that my grandpa bought for the radio (he broadcast on radio Luxembourg for 23 years. Thats about 44 years ago). The mic wasn't used ever since. I send it to the neumann factory who repaired the mic's membrane (I was happy the tube had not broken

It has a separate power supply, which is also in good working order after 20 years without being used. It sounds amazing on vocal recordings. It's direct, warm and has a very nice and clear high. I have heard a lot of stories about the mic, that it is Frank Sinatra's telly and how he refused to record without it. I never had the chance to really experience it. The wonder is that it has no static.

I compared the Neumann U47 with the Neumann TLM 193 on a pro tools HD system and was amazed with the difference. The TLM 193 is a very good mic but next to the U47 it is, lets say, a less mic. The U47 has a much more thicker sound. It also needs less EQ on the vocal compared to the TLM 193.

The only thing I missed for a vintage mic is a audio interface that emphasizes the vintage sound in a digital recording system, knowing that Universal Audio stands for vintage sounds.

An audio engineer offered me his car for the mic, but no way! If you got the money and find a Neumann U47 then don't doubt but buy the mic. Maybe you get lucky and find one in your grandpa's closet ;D

Grtz, Jeconia
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search