Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Forssell Technologies SMP - 500

I've been using this pre for about a year now, and have never been disappointed. It's clean gain, all the way up. This can be good...or bad. If there are any flaws in the source (talent/mic/cables), this pre lets you hear it.

For example, I used it with my Brauner Panthera once or twice... and never again. The room noise stood out too much. Saliva noise was too audible.

However, paired with a dynamic, ribbon, or 'character' LDC, it makes a good pair for lead tracks that need to rise above the mix. I use this pre with an SM7B a lot, as it brings out the character of the mic with ease. No extra noise, just SM7B! For other mics using phantom, a pop screen is recommended.

This is a very simple pre, no dressings. No instrument input. No output contorl. No meters, just a signal/clip indicator. Polarity and phantom only. A featureless pre, but still very useful.

Price point ($845) is fair. Not a bargain, not a rip-off. If it's what you need, it's worth the price.

I brought my Lunchbox to work this week for some tests. It's been getting a lot of mileage lately (in the literal sense) and the gain knob fell off. By the time the tech came with the tiny screwdriver, we had already passed the 7B. IMO, that's where this pre shines! Anyways, here is a sample of a TLM103 with the Forssell....TLM uses a foamy filter.

http://www.terborgdesign.com/PhotoAl...3-Forssell.wav
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search