Login / Register

Behringer ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000
Behringer

Behringer

3.9 3.9 (5 Reviews)
Budget 8 channel pre amp and ADDA converter with adat
Links to forum discussions about this product Behringer ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by jimbo_baby84 on 23rd March 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
2 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Behringer ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000

The Behringer ADA8000 is probably already known to most, especially in the home/project studio market, as it's by no means a new product. However since mine recently died (adat out stopped working), I have been looking at alternative products lately, and it has since crossed my mind that a perfect replacement for a Behringer ADA8000 is... a Behringer ADA8000. I couldn't find any reviews on here so I thought I'd add one, in case anyone was in the market for one and wanted the opinion of someone who has used it for about four years.

For about US$170 (new on ebay), this one rack space piece of gear offers 8 channels of mic pre, and 8 channels of AD/DA conversion at 44.1 or 48kHz. The mic pres have phantom power, but this is not individually selectable - it is either on for all 8 channels or off. On the front face of the unit, each channel has an XLR input and a TS unbalanced line input (however the line input does not bypass the circuitry of the pre amp - it is still affected by the pre's gain control).

Metering is taken care of via two lights for each channel; one to indicate there is signal present, the other to indicate the channel is clipping. Considering the size of the unit, this is a sensible approach and I haven't had any trouble with it, especially as I (like the majority of people, I'd imagine) can monitor the signal in my DAW. The adat I/O and XLR analogue outputs are located on the back of the unit, along with wordclock in, an adat/wordclock in switch, and a 44.1/48 switch for when the unit is being used as the master.

In terms of sound, the unit holds its own with the pre amps/converters in my Digi 002. The pre amps become a little noisy when boosting quiet signals, but that's par for the course at this level. The volume also jumps up radically on the last step of the gain pot, but I haven't found that to be a serious issue. I haven't used the unit with external pre amps, but the quality of the converters seems to be quite good. There is an interesting thread here on gearslutz comparing it to a Lynx Aurora converter in a shootout. Worth a look if you're interested in the ADA8000 mainly for its converters:

Lynx Aurora 16 vs Behringer ADA8000

As far as reliability is concerned, after four years without a hitch, the adat out on mine stopped working. I don't want to read too much into this though, as I've had far more expensive pieces of gear stop working on me in less time.

Conclusion:

Although the sound of this unit is far from special, it gets the job done, which is fine considering the features and the price-point. In fact when you consider its just over US$20 per channel, it's amazing that it sounds passable at all. If you're broke and need to add 8 channels to your rig, I'd say go for it. I think I'm going to. Again...
By tskguy on 27th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
2 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 3.5 3.5
Oh Behringer......How can I say this. You rock because you’re so inexpensive but why didn’t you provide a direct input! Ok for the money these things are great. But if you use them to track your latest project you will sadly be disappointed. The clock isn’t great and the pres just sound bad. Highs are tinny and the lows need a boost in order sound good. The converters themselves are a bit of a mystery mainly because we have no way of bypassing the pre amps. The unit does also get a bit warm so I often power it down when not in use.
In a pinch they do provide a really cheap way to bump up your inputs. On a positive note, these are amazing if you use SawStudio in live mode. For those who aren’t in the know, SawStudio is an amazing piece of software, check it out. I have a rack of these just for that reason they allow you a really cheap way to do live sound. And trust me you won’t care if the pre’s and converters don’t sound perfect in a live situation. I literally have a laptop a fireface and 3 ada8000’s. Output as to an amp and you’re ready to go.
By jbg08 on 28th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
For the money there isn't much better

I put this unit in the same category as my DIGI 002. It works just fine for most of the things I do. I record bands in a home studio. Nothing especially fancy, but my clients never complain about the sound. If you have a studio full of high-end equipment you won't want to even consider this unit. But if you feel like you know how to place a mic to get a good sound and you need an extra 8 I/O that will barely make a dent in your bank account this is highly recommended. No the preamps are not as good as a high-end unit. Do they suck? Not really. For recording this unit usually takes the mics for a drum kit. If the drums sound bad I've never blamed the preamps and I've always been right. I often use a summing mixer and the 8 outputs are quite handy in conjunction with my DIGI 002. The converters are as good as many more expensive units. It doesn't go above 48k and there isn't a way to bypass the preamp so I feel it does lack in the features department. Still, if you feel your skills outweigh your need for the best of the best then search no more.
By Jessiefrank on 29th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Phantom power?

I like this piece, but, even brand new the phantom power was faulty. I use this mostly when I record live events so I don't really need phantom power. But I tried running a pair of condensers through her and she wouldn't run them. That sucked. It's bang for your buck though for sure. The quality if there and if you got mic placement down, she'll be pretty honest in her translation. Lately I been trying her out on drums and I don't have complaints other than the phantom being shot...
By GoldMember on 11th April 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
some units are very good, some units are not, Behringer Quality Control.

mine... was very sensible to Electric noise... i could hear the Hard Drive reading, seeking in the loudspeakers BUT...
it was connected by ADAT light pipe, to a Yamaha DSP2416 DSP Factory soundcard with ADAT option card.
in my house there are 3 live AC lines 120vac. it sounded OK in other rooms.

the ADA8000 Mic-pre was very colored compared to Presonus BlueTUBE in clean mode.
but it has a nice "vintage" sound, for some music styles..

the AD&DA chips have a nice sound but limited to 48khz.
if i remeber correctly are same chips used in Alesis Ai-3, Wavefront AL.
New units use Cirrus.
i was surpriced about the clock, because it was very good, much better than the internal clock in the Yamaha DSP Factory DS2416 soundcard.
even with bad power.

older chips have more latency than newer chips, that was a big turn-off...
at 512 buffer size felt like >2048.
at that time i was looking for low latency,.

my idea was to use a computer with 8ch converter like a dbx 4800 drive rack or BSS Omnidrive.
using plugins for crossover & EQ, Compression, delay compensation, etc...

The Yamaha DSP Factory had DSP plugins, anyway..

very popular ADDA.
i liked the XLRs, & shiny aluminium.
no BNC output, was a bummer.

if looking for a cheap 48khz AD&DA, with built.in mic -pres, this is it.

P.S: loop DA-AD converter tests are limited compared to listening side-by-side vs. analog.

Some Links:
Modify Behringer ADA8000 for 230V
Behringer a/d converter
http://noisehome.dmz.ro/gutted/gutti...8000/20101123/
Behringer ADA8000 pre bypass questions
BEHRINGER ADA8000 ANALOUGE Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics
What does a Neve 1073 and a Behringer ADA-8000 Have in common?
alternatives to CRAP! Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain Pro-8 A/D/A Converter
Lynx Aurora 16 vs Behringer ADA8000
Black Lion Audio | Behringer ADA 8000
"Premium Modification* = $450 (+ return shipping)
*(This modification is only applicable to the newer revision of ADA8000's that Behringer manufactured within the last couple of years. The older units have different circuitry that prohibits the Premium mod. In order to determine if your ADA8000 is the new or old revision, simply take note of the DATE CODE label on the top of the unit; the four numbers will indicate the year/month of the unit’s manufacture date. Any date that is older than December of 2009 [i.e., #0912] will indicate the older revision, and will be inhibited from the Premium modification.

Another way to determine the possibility for a Premium upgrade is to take the lid off the unit and look for Cirrus Logic converters with “CS4270” printed on them, as this will determine the new revision. If the converters have printed on them “Wavefront AL1101” (for the inputs) and “AL1201” (for the outputs), that unfortunately means they are the old revision and the premium mod cannot be performed."

behringer ada8000 mod
Comparación A/D DIGI003+ - BEHRINGER ADA8000 MOD : Equipo home studio | Hispasonic
ADA8000 mods
Behringer ADA8000 (BLA) - Page 2 - Avid Audio Forums
Behringer ADA8000 , Any good ? - Cockos Confederated Forums
Behringer ADA8000 AD/DA Converter
Behringer ADA-8000 owners: PLEASE READ!!!
KVR: modding a Behringer ADA8000?
Tape Op Message Board :: View topic - Behringer ADA8000 Black Lion Audio Mod
Behringer ADA8000 (BLA) - Avid Audio Forums
UAD Forums • View topic - Behringer ADA 8000 mod......
Rainbow Audio Enigneering | Behringer ADA 8000 MOD (RAE)
BEHRINGER: ADA8000

Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search