Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
UAD Roland® RE-201 Space Echo Tape Delay Plug-In

Well, this is a lot of fun. Before I bought my UAD Solo/Laptop card I had the guitar pedal version of the Space Echo, which was fantastic. But now to be able to use the authentic sound of Roland’s Space Echo is my mixes is so much more exciting.

I’m a huge fan of Radiohead so one of the first things I did with this plugin is try and copy the distorted self-oscillation at the end of “Karma Police”. No problem. It’s wonderful to be able to twist the fake dials on the GUI and have it really feel as if you are handling the original unit… um, well, not that I have actually come across it ?

Some people say that the spring reverb included on the Space Echo sounds crap but I really love it – it’s so distinctive and works particularly well on lots of my guitar tracks, I often use it without even playing with the echo. Sounds... vintage.

But what I really love using the Space Echo for in my mixes is on drum busses. I can create seriously weird, crunchy havoc and the best part is I can actually automate speed and intensity changes into the patterns. Joyous.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search