Login / Register

UA 2-1176 Twin Vintage Limiting Amplifier
Universal Audio 2-1176

Universal Audio 2-1176

4.65 4.65 (3 Reviews)
The classic 1176 sound brought to you by UA. This time, 2 channels squeezed into one piece of gear.
More information about Universal Audio 2-1176

< >
Add Review
Subscribe

Published by Thedspeth on 6th March 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5

I know there are reviews of the UA 1176 on the review forum but the 2-1176 gives me a lot of options with regards to running things stereo or just having two independent compressors.
Works well for a lot of drum applications: snare- it adds "weight" "pop" to the hit like no other compressor I've used, kick- to me is place where I really understand the word compression from an audio sense. The 1176 really adds to that chest thumping feel you get in the 50-60 Hz range.., and I love to go extreme with overheads or room mics to give that "pumping" sound on a parallel compression channel. Also, as most folks know, it's outstanding on vocals to really make it stand out in a mix. I do a lot of stuff "in-the-box" but there truly is something to the sound of this piece of hardware.
Honestly i'm a fan of the updated "UA look" with this piece of gear. Obviously, every knob and switch are of the highest quality and you can feel that when you work with this.
I definitely don't need to go on about the sound of this thing as most people on here can probably recognize the unmistakable sound of this compressor. If you've got the cash, go grab one... you won't regret it!
By Ward Pike on 9th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
I purchased one of these units about a year ago and have never been more delighted with a reissue/update to a classic design sounding so good.

Now, mine was rebuilt at the factory so it may vary from other units but for mine... It really does sound like a revision F 1176LN on channel 1 and a revision D on channel 2. Linked together, for stereo, indistinguishable.

Everything works the way an 1176 is supposed to and I am very impressed by how QUIET it is (sorry, nerd humor comes out putting quite in shouting letters). The s/n ratio in the practical world is far beyond the clones out there.

Lightning fast response, and absolutely essential on vocals, guitars bass and toms. Many other applications. The threshold, gain, attack and release controls interact well together and the ratio button has the very useful "all" position simulating the classic all-buttons-in setting that many of us figured out or heard about.

If you can find one of these, I highly recommend buying one or more. I believe they are currently discontinued.
By Half Normalled on 31st March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Here is my review of the Universal Audio 2-1176 Dual 1176LN Limiting Amplifier.

The UA 2-1176 has proven to be a solid and dependable sonic tool that gets plenty of use in my project studio.

For basic tracking I like it on a variety of sources like vocals, overheads, stereo percussion and acoustic / electric guitar.

I’ve had great results using it in my vocal chain of – Large Diaphragm Condenser – Neve 1073 Pre amp – UA 2-1176 - API 550A EQ – UA 2192 convertor. Mainly just to catch peaks and smooth out the vox on the way in to Pro Tools. 4:1 ratio with a slow attack and quick release works well as a starting point. I’ve also used it during mix as a good way to get the lead vocal to sit right in the mix.

The unit can be surprisingly clean from a signal to noise standpoint when setting the gain structure judiciously. Of course you can dial in all kinds of attitude / vibe / mojo with more aggressive settings. I also like it on electric guitar not really for gain reduction (1-3 db) but just for adding a little color and presence.

Although I have other comps like a Stereo pair (El8-X) of Distressors, API 2500 and a Manley Elop, the UA 2-1176LN is right at home with these other units and can do certain things really well.

Overall I’ve had a good experience with all of my Universal Audio hardware (UA 2192, 2-1176 and 2-610 pre) and use them daily in my studio. The 2-1176LN Limiting Amplifier has been another great addition and is a solid workhorse and a very useful piece of gear. Thumbs up!
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search