Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Taylor Big Baby Acoustic Guitar

I’ve had one of these for over 10 years now and it’s still my baby. It’s super convenient, gorgeous sounding and didn’t cost me over £1000 like other Taylor guitars.

An overview: 15/16 the size of a normal dreadnought acoustic guitar. Made in Taylor's factory in El Cajon, California USA. 20 frets. The top is made from sitka spruce. The sides and back are made from sapele laminate, the neck from mahogany and the fretboard and bridge from ebony, all with a varnish finish. Doesn’t come with a pickup (though I’ve now installed a Fishman which sounds amazing). Came with a smart, lightweight gig bag, which has lasted well. Not much bracing going on inside the guitar, which probably accounts for how light it is… seems to be fitted together mostly with glue. Although I’ve scratched my baby quite a bit over the years, the structural integrity and intonation have not suffered at all.

The sound: Lovely and bright with a focused bottom end (might not have the kind of power that some players would like). Excellent for finger picking. Very good for recording – clean and articulate and comes across really well when mic’d up properly.

Finally, I love how easy to play the Big Baby is! A breeze compared to other dreadnoughts, especially since the action on mine is set quite low. However, this means that I actually tend to struggle when I have to use other people’s guitars. Whoops!
By Mark_Andrasko on 30th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Taylor Big Baby

I'm only writing this review because I LOVE this guitar and I feel I should elaborate on something the previous reviewer only spent one sentence on.

This guitar is truly amazing at fingerpicking.

If I could rate it 10/10 on sound quality for just fingerpicking I would but unfortunately for me, the Big Baby falls pretty flat when played with a guitar pick. I've never played or seen another guitar like it... beautiful when played one way and just not as good with the other. If you're strictly a strummer I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere. I have a Takamine Jumbo that I play when I want to rock out.

The other downside is probably what makes it so lush and sculpted at fingerpicking.. the overall durability feels pretty weak giving the Big Baby what I feel is a very appropriate name. You should probably "baby" this guitar. (And I do!) The lacquer is very lightly applied on this sensitive flower compared to my Takamine which has an armor like coating I could start a bar fight with.

If you're a fingerpicker you have to consider this guitar for the price. If you don't fingerpick, walk away or learn how to fingerpick!
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search