Login / Register

Rme fireface 800
RME Fireface 800

RME Fireface 800

4.5 4.5 (6 Reviews)
Studio work horse, heard nothing but good things about it from the top three studio guys I know of.
Links to forum discussions about this product Rme fireface 800

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by Slywahker on 4th March 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Rme fireface 800

I've been playing music since I was three, have come to see/hear/try/hear about quite a bit of gear. This is the one piece of gear that have been recommended to me by top studio guys and top touring/live guys.

I had one of their computer based sound cards about 1o years ago. Ended getting rid of the whole thing, with the computer and the console.

This unit looks, feels, behaves and sounds like the real deal.

Just a few weeks ago I was doing a session on guitar where we tracked 9 songs in two days (all rhythm parts). Now all the lead parts, textures, feed backs, intros & outros were left to do.

I told the engineer what I had as a setup at home. (Tube amps, condenser mics, bla bla bla...) As soon as he heard RME FireFace 800, he said; Perfect! Here's a DI, just make sure you track without delays & reverbs and send me both tracks at such and such rate/bit depth when you're done.

Example;
SongOne.wav & SongOne_DI.wav

Guitar ---> DI Split;
A: Direct to FireFace (for re-amping at his place according to taste)
B: Pedal Board - Amps - Mic - FireFace

We did the whole thing like that and he was more that happy.

Their website says it's "the world's most powerful FireWire audio interface ever." I don't know about that but IMHO, it kicks ass.

Solid, sturdy. It heats up quite a while after a few hours. So I just leave blank space above it in the rack. I gave it a "9" for ease of use because I had a bit of hard time with the driver when I first got started, but after that it's plug and play.

I use it to record my songs at home (up to the rough mix. I don't mix or master. That's a whole other ball game.)

If you're shopping around for a soundcard/audio interface right now and plan on spending a 100$ or so. Don't even look at it, go for whatever you were thinking of buying. But if you have close to a 1000$ in mind I'd suggest saving up a bit more or shop around for deals at the usual places. (They go from 850$ to 1600$ street right now.)
By Bristol Posse on 17th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
First of all, to put this review into context I will start off by stating that I am a hobbyist recorder.
I have had extensive experience with other interfaces such as the M-Audio ProFire series as well as boutique pre amps and converters from Black Lion Audio so any comparative statements made will be in the context of this experience

The RME Fireface 800

This is a 1U Rack mountable audio interface in the familiar blue and silver of the RME Product line.
The front panel provides the following:
4 mic/XLR Line/TRS ins with up to 60dB of clean gain.
1 HiZ (Guitar/Bass) in with gain, this channel alos provides a software controlled limiter, cab simulator and drive simulator accessed through the RME control panel
1 Headphone out with volume control

The rear panel provides the following:
8 TRS Analog ins
8 TRS Analog outs
1 SPDIF out
1 SPDIF in
2 ADAT in/out ports
Word Clock ins & out
1 MIDI in
1 MIDI out
1 FW 400 port
2 FW 800 ports
3 time code inputs

Sound Quality
The mic Pres and converters on this unit are nice and clear and open, this is not a coloration piece but it provides detailed, accurate conversion of the signals with plenty of usable clean gain. The Cab emulation, Drive and limiter functions are also a useful addition and make a separate DI box for studio use unnecessary unless you are dealing with multiple guitar inputs. For the price (as compared to a high end converter only) the sound quality is extremely good

Ease of Use
This is an incredibly flexible unit. The routing possibilities are enormous as are the number of simultaneous ins and outs possible as well as the ability to link multiple units together and calibrate the converters to three different reference levels for 0dBFS. The software mixer allows for the creation and storing of multiple routing configurations, headphone submixes, loop back setups and so on.
As a result of the enormous variety of set up options the user manual and sheer complexity can at first seem daunting.
Having said this, the default settings will work out of the box providing a logical 1 to 1 routing that will allow you to easily assign inputs and outputs within a DAW.
For Use in a live setting, all inputs/outputs are panable, individually routable to multiple outs and the built in Total Mix software can be controlled via a Control surface such as a Mackie, opening up a whole world of opportunities for use as a mixer too
Because of the sheer tweakability I had to score this a seven because it will take some time to get used to the flow of the signals and how to really take full advantage of the capabilities offered

Features
As mentioned above this unit offers a very broad range of ins and outs, almost limitless routing possibilities, Zero latency monitoring, 3 software controllable reference levels for 0dBFS to allow you to determine how much headroom you get and so much more. This is a feature rich unit

Bang for Buck
If all you need is an audio interface then this would be on the higher end of the price range for such a device. The pres are very good and transparent, the conversion is certainly excellent and the flexibility is awesome. Drivers are very stable in both XP and Win7.
I scored this lower on the bang for buck however as I feel you are paying for many features that many in the home and project studio will perhaps never need however for the quality and reliability it is still a reasonably priced unit

Hope this helps someone considering this unit as an option for their musical endeavors :-)
By robertshaw on 23rd March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
2 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
2 out of 5
Overall: 3.5 3.5
Features: This unit is packed with a great set of features.

Ease of use: It is a plug and play type unit which requires little usage of the reference manual. It's E/M packaging is superb and the controls are self explanatory.

Sound Quality: The sound quality of this unit is very poor in comparison to other units available on the market.

Bang for buck: I give this 50/50, it has great features and the unit is rock solid as far as stability with integration into your complete system however, the poor sound sort of negates all of its positive aspects.
By Magenta_rules on 13th March 2014
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
The Fireface 800 is a very nice and clean sounding unit. The drivers work perfect, the mixer is cool and the price is very low for what you get! I use two of it for years, never got any problems with them. they are solid as rock. The Preamps are good to use and nearly "high-end-stuff". You can get a used FF 800 for about 600 bucks, wich is a steal. So go for it! you wont get any better for that price!
By gpiccolini on 14th March 2014
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
I love my FF800!

I used a lot of equipment, I had Aardvark, Lexicon, Emagic, etc. and once I get my first RME card (Multiface) was like heaven. It worked perfectly always and the sound was excellent. The FF800 is the same but better: Excellent PC/Mac drivers, excellent convertion and preamps, LOTS of channels, Totalmix (the best virtual mixer in my opinion), Digicheck, still being upgraded 5 years later, and a first class customer support WAY beyond warranty time. I also have an Apogee Rossetta800 and the FF800 converters sound very very good compared to a unit almost double the price, no interface nor preamps. did I said that they sound excellent? I also have V76 and V72 and a bunch of other preamps but I like the sound the RME preamps gives me when I'm on the road. In fact I like it so much that I also bought a FF400 . To me the FF800 is possibly the best interface out there.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search