Login / Register

Metric Halo ULN-2 Expanded

4.4 4.4 (3 Reviews)
Extremely high quality audio interface with DSP for Mac users only.
Links to forum discussions about this product Metric Halo ULN-2 Expanded

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by thinman on 28th February 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
2 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Metric Halo ULN-2 Expanded

So happy I chose this audio interface. Millennia quality preamps, professional level DI, excellent converters. 72 db of headroom runs all of my ribbon mics with no problems. Comes with the acclaimed, innovative MIO console software and many studio quality DSP plug-ins included or available.

Runs entirely off firewire buss if necessary, so it's great for location as well as studio recording.

Metric Halo's customer service is first rate. If you can afford it, this is a GREAT audio interface. I'm thrilled with the sound every time I use it!
By edva on 28th February 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
pound for pound, dollar for dollar, perhaps best 2-ch FW interface available

While there are perhaps better sounding two channel A/D/A converters available (though not many), I doubt there are any that can touch the ULN2 in terms of features and price.
The 2D card was an amazing upgrade to this box, and for the moment at least, it truly is, as the mfg. Metric Halo says, "future proof". Capable of fully professional results in any scenario, the little ULN2 punches far above its weight it terms of clean, accurate sound, and excellent quality A/D/A conversion.
I have owned and used these boxes literally since they were first introduced, and I have never regretted my choice. I would not say the pre-amps sound like a Millennia, which I also use - the ULN2 has way more gain! Well, it also sounds a touch "drier" and less "3-D" than the Millennia, but still a very usable pair of pres.
And you can connect other pre's via ADAT optical, SPDIF, or AES, digitally, so although the ULN2 started life as a simple 2-ch. interface, since the development of the 2D card, its capabilities have increased significantly.
MH is legendary for their customer support, and although the box is built like the proverbial tank, the software is very sophisticated and certainly user questions will arise, but are generally handled quickly and courteously, IME.
The ULN2-2D is an excellent value, performs at a very high professional level, and would be a fine addition to anyone's Mac-based rig.
By dakine on 12th July 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Bought for the sound, stayed for the dsp

I've had this for three months and still learning things every day. It has 10 presets you can configure for using without computer attached. The mixer flexibility to all the ins/outs in standalone mode is outstanding. DI guitar never sounded so good. And of course ultra low noise.

I'm using mostly as a live mixer, as a two channel preamp/dac to external recorder, in an effects loop, chaining effects devices, mastering, and mixdown recording. Controls two pairs of monitors. Nice headphone amp.

Very unique mio software, one of the best features. Someone had a sense of humor making efx presets. Channel strip character presets are very cool.

It's maybe a little big for its size. If I had to find something to complain about.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search