Login / Register

Behringer Xenyx 802 small mixer
Behringer

Behringer

3.95 3.95 (5 Reviews)
Heavy duty? No. Feature rich? No. Bang for a buck? Yes, would buy it again.

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by maticomp on 27th February 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
3 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 3.5 3.5

My friend was looking for a small mixer on a budget to work with his vocal chain and synth live. He ended up buying a Xenyx 802 piece from Behringer, I had the opportunity to use now and then.

The two mic pres on this unit are pretty solid. Clean, transparent, with more headroom than I expected. Not comparable to anything found in good external gear built for that purpose, but had pretty decent results with both vocal and acoustic guitar. Mics can be phantom powered, unfortunately either both or none at all.

Two mono channels with mic pres have their own eq chain, whereas line inputs 3/4 and 5/6 are paired in stereo and cannot be operated independently. The eq is basic, with three knobs for lows, mids and highs (lows and mids are shelving filters, whereas mids is a peak filter centered at 2.5k) - I like the sound, but it certainly lacks flexibility. Most of the time I was eq-ing later.

There is a basic FX send functionality with AUX returns to send signal from the mixer to the external equipment, the functionality is very basic though. There is a single mono FX send output derived from all channels post-fader, which can be in turn brought back using AUX returns. No per-channel inserts, unfortunately - not this tier of hardware.

Mains and control room outs can be controlled independently. There is also headphones out, controlled via the same pot as the control room outs. A nice additional feature are unbalanced RCA inputs to connect additional sound source, such as a CD player, as well as unbalanced RCA outputs sync'd with mains outs to connect an additional recording device.

The build quality is ok, but nothing special. Front plate is metal, everything else is plastic. Knobs work fine and are not loose, though the unit never had been used very heavily. I certainly dislike the lack of power switch, and kind of wobbly power connector.

Heavy duty? No. Feature rich? No. Bang for a buck? Yes, would buy it again.
By A3Beats on 9th October 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
3 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 3.75 3.75
This mixer does what it has to do, and for the money it will certainly not disappoint the people starting out with recording.

My setup:
AT2020 Mic into Xenyx 802 Mixer into Behringer UCA202 USB Soundcard into my PC.

It's functions EQ and panning work as they should, but I never use them, I do most of that on my computer. You have sufficient control over the volume levels. It has more inputs than a solo artist would need, therefore I don't use all of the inputs at the same time. The unit has a lot of input options, I have it connected to my interface via RCA and I can connect my dad's guitar, I can hook up my phone to play music etc.

The design of the unit is not too pretty, but you can't have it all for 60 Euro's. The pre-amps sound fine and clear and the quality is great for the average home recording enthusiast.

Despite being the cheapest option for anyone starting out, it is an overall fine product and you get quite some bang for your buck.
By Gretsch 6120 on 9th October 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
I bought the Behringer XNEYX 802 in 09 to have as a desktop mixer for monitoring between my standalone DAW and computer at the time. For that purpose it did a very adequate job. Having already owned some decent outboard pres and a Mackie 1604 that I used primarily for live applications and recording drums, the XMEYX wasn’t something I ever considered using for recording. However, I see no reason the Behringer XNEYX couldn’t serve as a good little scaled down mixer for live applications requiring fewer inputs or even for recording on a very low budget. While I never found the two “high quality” preamps with “British inspired EQs” to be particularly “inspiring,” in a pinch, it would be usable. For non-critical applications, such as gigs, they would work fine. In fact, I’m sure they could be made usable for recording purposes, if they were your only option, although they would be far from my first choice.

This past weekend I disconnected and unplugged the little 802 from my desk and put it up, as I no longer require it since moving to a USB interface setup. However, these little mixers really are very good value IME, and that’s why I’m giving it the rating it deserves. These are basically no frills yet solid performing mixers. If only we would have had access to something like this when I was a kid the sky would have been the limit. It’s unbelievable to me that for $75 I was able to purchase a brand new eight channel mixer that works and actually works well. So, no complaints! For what it is and what it offers, the XNEYX is a GREAT value.

Chris
By billf on 19th November 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
3 out of 5
Overall: 3.75 3.75
Doesn't quite do it for me

I needed to hook a condenser mic to my laptop via USB, and wanted a versatile general-purpose USB I/O adapter, and thought this would be the cheapest decent way to do so. But I did not find it satisfactory and sent it back. Here are some random good and bad comments:

o You can either send to USB or receive from USB but not both at the same time.

o There are only four LEDs per channel on the meter (not very many). If you turn up the main mix output until the USB transmitter clips it's part way through the third (yellow) LED's range. So if the yellow LED is on you could be OK or you could be clipping. Thus the only way to be safe is to only let the first two (green) LEDs light up (letting it occasionally go yellow). Thus in practice when using this to send via USB to the computer you're limited to half the meter's range and a fraction of the mixer's range.

o If you send a 0dBFS signal from the computer via USB to the mixer, then set the mixer's main level to "0" (unity gain), then turn off the signal and measure the mixer's output there's about 1mVpp of noise at the mixer's main output. If you turn off USB reception this noise disappears. This is way too much noise.

o The performance of the analog audio (noise, gain, etc.) is about the same as my old Behringer MX-802 mixer.

o There's no power switch. Plugging the power brick into the back of the mixer is how you turn it on, and it's a little tricky getting the pins lined up right.

I ended up getting a Behringer UCA-222 USB adapter (which I suspect uses the same USB to analog converter chip), and using it with my Behringer MX-802 mixer which has 12 LEDs per channel on the meter. This gives me better control of the gain structure, gives me fine-grained meter monitoring, has less noise from the computer to the mixer, and lets me send USB data in both directions at the same time.
By chazzercooke on 10th April 2013
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
Behringer 802 review

Purchased this mixer a few days ago for my recording setup, though most use as part of a lives sound system.
My first impressions were good, I plugged in my guitar through my fx unit (digitech rp155) and into the mono jack input of the mixer. The signal was good on a clean channel, but a word of advice - keep the levels for the channel, master and phones lines at about -1, and then just turn up the gain slightly. This provides more volume without distorting the signal. The signal will hiss/fuzz at high levels, but if you keep them at about half, which for me is plenty, the signal is great. Even if there is slight buzz in the background, the volume of the instruments make it almost impossible to notice. Overall, the sound quality is pretty damn good.
In terms of ease of use, it doesn't get simpler than this. There are 2 channels with a mic in and a mono jack in, with the rest sporting stereo jack ins, though ca be used as a mono jack.
Every channel has 3 standard eq's, high's, mid's and low's, along with individual fx send levels, pan knobs and volume knobs. The two mic channels have seperate gain levels. 48v phantom power is available for condensor mics, though can only be used on both or none of the channels. In terms of outputs, there is a mono fx send with stereo aux return channels, a stereo control room out and another stereo master out, along with a headphones jack in. There are volume controls for both the master and control outs.
Overall, a great mixer for the price, would buy again.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search