Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Avant Avantone CV12 Condenser Microphone

The Mic I am reviewing is the Avantone CV12. For anyone who is looking for a studio condenser mic I would recommend you seriously consider it, maybe even over other more expensive options. Essentially this mic is an Apex 460 with a few more features. It is the model out of china that is one step up from the one Apex sells. Same thing just with roll off and pad switches.

So why pay more?

Because with the Avantone you're paying for the quality control. I work in the entertainment industry. As a student I purchased this mic because of budget and it still finds use often. As I have heard from people who deal with manufacturing etc. Chinese mics can be great quality but Chinese quality control is garbage - actually its non existent. They do not throw stuff away. So a middle man company like Avantone provides a service that is needed to ensure quality.

Sound?

The sound of these mics are great. Clear, nice, lots of warmth. Also if you upgrade to a nicer tube it just makes the mic sound even better. However, it is a bright mic. I don't mind this because I usually employ some shelving EQ to create "air." i find that i usually don't even have to do this with the Avantone compared to other mics. however, i find that it's much better to be cutting to taste rather than adding when it comes to EQ. You can easily tame the high end by just rolling off some highs if you like.

So basically I recommend this mic, it is great. If you plan on working from home or working on site etc for any projects I would recommend CV12's because they sound great and you don't really have to worry if a stand gets knocked over or someone does something stupid because they don't cost an arm and a leg. they are also very durable I've had mine dropped and wacked and no problems.

Hope this review has helped because I know I have bought some budget gear that I have just had to sell later on and basically when that happens you lose money. So I have learned some things 1. buy quality stuff that you know you will find lots of use for (this doesn't always mean cheap, if you have to pay more for something that is of much better quality save up and do it) 2. try to resist the urge to sell stuff when you need money or want some new gear ... you'll just regret it and end up buying the same thing again down the road. 3. Don't focus too much on the equipment, a good musician or producer can produce a great product with anything - "Yesterday" was recorded on a crappy laminate Epiphone - no one seems to mind.
By rjo361 on 19th April 2013
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
Great mic for the price

Hey guys, I'm reviewing the Avantone CV-12 condensor microphone. This is a great piece of gear to own. It lends well to recording acoustic guitars, piano, and especially vocals. it adds a sort of warmth and depth to your vocal tracks. You just need to make sure that you have at least a decent acoustic treated room to record with this. I use a reflection screen that I built from air conditioning insulation and a couple paint grids and it works great.

overall I would highly recommend this mic because of the value you get from it over other more expensive mics.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search