Login / Register

Native Instrument's Studio Drummer

4.25 4.25 (2 Reviews)
STUDIO DRUMMER is a fantastic realization of a drummer in software, with everything you need to create realistic acoustic drum tracks — top-of-the-line drum kits, detailed mixing options, and a ready-to-go groove library, packed with authentic beats of all colors and flavors.
Links to forum discussions about this product Native Instrument's Studio Drummer

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by squirreltrench on 26th January 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Native Instrument's Studio Drummer

I purchased Studio Drummer a few months ago, and I love it. I'm not familiar with the other software drum packages that have been around for a few years, but this one sounds *great*. Lots of flexibility in EQ and compression built in, and you can route individual drums out in your DAW if you like. But you almost don't need to; there is so much flexibility within the package itself. You really don't need to use reverb with Studio Drummer, because the Room Mic sounds excellent for that purpose. When you need verb, you can just turn up the Room Mic, or bump up the send into the Room mic of the part of the kit you want a wetter sound from. You have control over how much of each drum goes into both the Room mic and the overheads. So you can create natural sounding (but physically impossible) things like sending only toms and cymbals to the overheads and only snare to the room mic.

Studio Drummer comes with three different kits that you can tweak to your heart's content; the Session Kit, the Stadium Kit, and the Garage Kit. I like the "Garage" kit so much, I haven't played too much with the Session kit and the Stadium kit. The Garage kit's kick sounds fantastic, as does it's floor tom, and the cymbals too (all of them - 2 crashes, a ride, a china, and a splash.) There are a variety of articulations for all the cymbals (except the splash) for excellent expressiveness.

As far as I'm concerned, Studio Drummer is fantastic.
By Bullseye on 26th January 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Studio Drummer is very good. Sounds great and the drums are very expressive when played from a good keyboard. The only issues are minor details. For instance, the ride cymbal can be too much with full velocity on whereas the snare can have too little body without. Also, there is actually only one drum kit though the snare is swappable with a shallower drum. The different kits are different EQ for the most part. There are, as stated, a plethora of tweaks you can access. Mostly though they sound great played as is and this is a welcome relief sometimes.

Interestingly, I did a jazz track. The ride cymbal, once set properly, sounded great and I was able to syncopate with the snare with light taps. By changing articulations around I found the program to be capable of some great expression.

Good product, good price, very much worth the money.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search