Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Logic Pro 9

I've worked with Logic for about 3 years now, since the start of my music making career.

It has it's pro's and cons. I'll be approaching it from the view of a producer, not an audio engineer.

Like I said, I've worked with this DAW for a while now and it's the only DAW I know well. I'll soon be moving to Pro Tools for various reasons. Here are my thoughts about Logic Pro 9

My main reason is that the program is a claustrophobic. I don't know if its all those dark/intense colors or the layout, but it's starting to piss me off. And I work on a lapotp + extra big screen. All the buttons seem fiddly to me. It just doesn't feel right any more.
The mixing view is very annoying. You can't move any tracks about in the mix window, you have to do that in the Arrange window. You also don't have enough flexibility with the width of the tracks.

The fact that every time I create an instrument track the logic jampack menu pops out gets a tad annoying after a while. I sometimes use those instruments to do a very quick sketch of something, but they aren't very useable sounds. So why would a pro DAW suggest that you use those shitty sounds every time you make an instrument track. This kind of adds to the amateurish feel of the program.

Now we're on the subject I must say the jampacks are quite a useful thing to have. For writing demo's its good because you can quickly get the kind of sound that you want, so you don't loose your creative flow.
There's a ton of loops. They seem to sound quite good but I never use loops, so I can't say much on that subject.

The automation works well, most things are automatable, but they sometimes have different names so you have to look for the right function.

The recording options are quite good. The swipe comping is very clever and useful.

Midi is good. Functions such as 'force legato', etc. Are useful. Editing the velocities are quite good.

Flextime is great, though I prefer elastic audio in combination with groups in Pro Tools for editing stems.

It's a steady program. I don't have many problems with crashing.

Conclusion: Even though it's a pro DAW and it's perfecty suitable for making great pro productions, to me it has a slightly amateurish feel to it and that annoys/distracts me. I'm moving to PT, which also is better for jobs, since most studio's seem to want you to have great Pro Tools skills.
By AcoosticZoo on 19th January 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Logic Studio Mixing and production slant review

Logic is just 299 on app store (2012), remember that equivalent DAWS cost much more. So logic is great value.

Do you get the same quality?
Yes. Logic's mix engine is transparent. 32 bit floating point = extremely high dynamic range. Comes standard with UV22 and POW-r dithering.

I enjoy using Logic Everyday for mixing and production duties. The reason is largely due to the ability to save, copy and past channel strips and aux/bus strips.

Routing Channels to aux bus is very flexible and everything is Sample accurate (ie. syncs in time automatically). upto 64 Bus's can be created 256 audio tracks (mono or stereo).

For midi and soft instruments, logic is extremely easy to produce/compose music with. Apple loops within logic automatically stores channel strips/plugin settings and playback midi info tempo sync'd to your session. This is very handy when auditioning sounds for inspiration.

Midi Groove quantisation is another powerful feature that allows the producer/composer to time correct midi recordings to enhance it's groove.

Logic comes with a sampler exs24 that has been around since logic 5, and there's many libraries that support this format. Thus you have a large selection of instruments to upgrade your tool belt with.

Logic has offline bounce which means it bounces faster than real time use up all the multicores to create a mixdown of the session - you can select to output .wav .aif .mp3 .aac and burn directly to CD.

Height of tracks in arrange window can be adjusted independently (place your mouse on top left of the header and simply click and drag to re-adjust size to suit). Creating new tracks is simple done by clicking the "+" icon in the arrange window, or ctrl + Shift + enter, or double clicking in the empty area at the bottom of the arrange window.

Arrange windows and Mix Windows can easily be resized to suit your workflow and screen sets can be saved.

Shortcut keys are fully user defineable.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
By mahasandi on 28th February 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Any daw is an acquired taste.
Logic is no different , now if you know who emagic is and have been around for years with this software there is a culminative sense of value the more you invest the more you tend to stay.

I began daw work with pro tools 3 and stayed with it until 5
I know use reaper but have worked a little in logic.

First off so much of ones experience of a daw is based on their knowledge level, and I cannot claim much with that.

The bundled instruments are very cool and provide a lot of value.
Particularly exs 24
The ui is not my favorite. I find the small size of most elements hard. I guess that is configurable a bit but stock it didn't seem intuitive to me whereas with reaper you can easily change sizes of everything ui without going into menus.

The whole creating a track thing with menus requiring attention is perhaps the thing you ignore as an accustomed user , but for entering the program not so good.

It has 32bit floating point which should be transparent , however I prefer the overkill of reapers 64bit floating, not to say there would be a difference in actual sound in almost every instance...

The CPU usage was significant but with modern machines this has decreased over from 8-9 even if the program uses more.

I agree the jam pack thing is rather weird perhaps there is an easy way to turn off the auto suggest on this

I guess my main assessment is that coming from pro tools not being particularly a wizard at any daw I found reaper much easier to work with and learn then logic. I feel that given I was coming from a different tool to this and preferred another solution indicates to me that I did not click with logic's Logic

That said it is important to work on different daws and get a sense of what resonates easiest and go from there.
Seeing as the feature sets are more alike then different nowadays and the power at the hands of native users it comes down to what type of daw user are you? More of the creative type, or engineer ?

If your and engineer type you may click with many different daws and geek into their features , however for ease of use and ui fluidity I could not get into logic not to say there is anything to that other then my very personal preferences.
Well that and reaper is cheaper.
By ebow on 2nd March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
"The fact that every time I create an instrument track the logic jampack menu pops out gets a tad annoying after a while"

on the 'new track' dialogue box, uncheck 'open library'

pretty sure this is what you mean
By Jack Morgan on 13th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
Pros:
- So much easier to use than my previous DAW (Digital Performer), with a faster, more logical (ho ho) workflow
- “Bounce in Place” is a brilliant, simple feature that is executed quickly and effectively. One of the major things that keeps me on Logic and away from Ableton.
- The native sampler is powerful and pretty simple to use.

Cons:
- No pitch correction like on Digital Performer
- You can’t move tracks around in the Mix window, only in Arrange or Environment – crap!
- Error messages from CPU overloads happen too often, whereas Digital Performer would generally solider on. Now here’s a big problem. Why does the audio have to suddenly double in volume when there is a CPU overload? I usually mix on headphones and apart from possibly damaging them, it hurts my ears (I already suffer from hyperacusis). For those mixing on speakers, particularly when checking how things sound turned up loud, I’m sure this could blow them. Not cool@
- The grey GUI is arguably a bit dull. On the other hand, this makes it not tiring to look at.
- Logic gets terribly confused when dealing with my Kontrol 49 MIDI keyboard. It took me a very long time to figure out how to stop the footswitch being assigned to start/stop rather than sustain.

Overall, taking budget into account, sticking with Logic is a no brainer for me. Reliable, predictable and great workflow. I’ve got UAD and some Waves plugins so I don’t have much to say about Logic’s native ones but they seem pretty alright.
By sojcher12 on 16th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Logic 9 is working great for me

I've Been using Logic 9 for 2 years now and so far for the most part I've been pretty happy with it. It runs incredibly smoothly and rarely ever crashes. I'm Also veryimpressed with its ease to use.
The stock plugins that are included are pretty decent. Space Designer and Delay designer reverb and delay are great.
The Amp and Pedal designers sound great although they could use some more amps and pedals to use. It takes a lot of gain to really get distorted sounds out of the amps but thats okay.

Working with MIDI on Logic 9 is pretty straight forward and intuitive.

Flextime editing works great.

Although overall I am happy with Logic 9 there are 2 things that i think can really be improved. (maybe in logic 10)

1. In order to get to 3rd party plugins, instead of going by category (EQ, Dynamics, Delay...) I have to go down to the bottom of the list and go to "audio units" then find the name of the brand and then find the plugin.
When having to do this every time it starts to really get annoying and slows down my work flow.

2. Logic needs some kind of timing correction like Pro Tools Beat Detective.

I don't have much experience in Pro Tools so I can't really judge which is better but otherwise I would definitely recommend Logic.
By jimmymio on 17th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
it's hard to argue with the complaint that many projects/jobs require you to know Pro tools but i don't feel it's fair to judge Logic by this metric. I've been using Logic since version 6. FWIW Logic X is rumored to be just around the corner. But even as it stands now it is an unbelievable value. It comes with an incredible amount of content. It would be no problem to own Logic and nothing else. The plugs and soft synths alone are worth more than it's selling price. Nothing is perfect and Logic is no exception but it is probably the only DAW that can go head to head with Pro Tools at this time and it is a fraction of the cost.
Besides all of the loops you get synths like the EXS 24. It may not be everyone's favorite but it comes free. It has been around for at least a decade and there are many libraries for it. The ES1 is another very popular synth- great for mono bass lines. Sculpture is great for unusual sounds, the EP88 will take care of your electric piano needs. The VB3 has killer organ sounds. You get amp modeling etc.
By criz on 17th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Stable, clean UI, intuitive workflow

i am using logic ever since it was created by emagic, hamburg. it was interesting to see how the product evolved and what changes apple has applied to it. i think the most obvious one was cleaning up the UI. i really like logics look and feel, as it always keeps up the creative flow and does not interrupting it, by making me search for buttons or switches. so 9* for that.

sound quality is nothing to argue about, in my opinion. what goes in, comes out. no loss, no limitation whatsoever. i personally think all daws sound the same (tried cubase, pro tools, logic so far). so n/a for this.

in fact there are only few features i have ever missed in logic, such as flextime. gaincontrol in pro tools is a nice thing which i hope logic adopts soon. most of the fx sound really transparent to me and do the job, but if you want something really sexy, you better look out for some UAD plugins. just bought a uad2 satellite, and immediately fell in love with the harrison 32 eq and the lexicon reverb

the feature set is really good. you get loads of stuff for 149eur. with that arsenal of fx, instruments, samples/loops, it gets you going pretty quick and at a quite high quality level. so 10* here

all in all, i highly recommend anyone from beginners level ( would even recommend it to my mom, doing simple 4 track recordings with piano and cello ) to amateur / project studios (which is what i would call myself) as well as professional studios, where i saw logic the first time in action.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search