Dr. Scientist - Cosmichorus

3.75 3.75 (1 Reviews)
If you're looking for a high quality, versatile, and creative chorus pedal, look no further....

Published by Sword in Hand on 17th January 2012
User Review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
2 out of 5
Overall: 3.75 3.75

The Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus is a versatile, unique, and high quality, analog chorus pedal. It can go from subtle, thick chorusing, to extreme, modulating chaos and everywhere in between. It's true bypass, runs on 9VDC (only), and comes in custom finishes.

CONTROLS and SOUND
The Cosmichorus has five knobs, two toggle switches, a stomp switch, and a light that indicates if it's on, as well as speed (the light pulses in time). The descriptions of each knob are represented by a clever graphic, rather than words. This caused me to listen a bit more and really understand each control, rather than assume I knew what it did by it's name. But here is my approximation of each control and what it does.

The first knob (a line with a divit at the end) is essentially a brightness or hi filter rolloff control. This controls the brightness of the signal and how clear the effect is. The pedal is a bit dark, with my setup, so I tend to have this knob a little on the brighter side.

The second knob (a single robot, 3 robot figures) is like a wet/dry control. It lets you set how much of the effect you can hear mixed with your dry guitar signal. Fully clockwise is 100% wet.

The third knob (a right facing arrow) controls the speed of the chorus. The more counterclockwise the slower. This control's setting, like most, is a matter of taste.

The fourth knob (a line ramping upward) is the volume control.

The fifth knob (a vortex or swirly line) controls the depth or feedback of the effect. It can take you from subtle to crazy on certain settings.

There are also two switches, which really make this pedal versatile and special.

The top switch controls the speed multiplier. Flipped to the left and you are at 1x. This will allow for more typical, classic chorus effects. But at the fastest speeds can still be pretty out there. Once flipped to the right (2x multiplier, I believe), the pedal becomes a whole different animal. With the speed set fully counterclockwise, this setting picks up where the 1x (fully clockwise) left off. It can go from a zany up and down motion to robotic, mechanical vibrations.

The bottom switch is a three way and it controls the range of the chorus. The middle is the lightest, to the left is more extreme and to the right is even more. It's hard to describe this control, but to me, it adds more motion to the effect. It's harder to hear the changes at slower settings, but on the more intense settings, you can really hear how this switch effects the sound. Great stuff.

SOUND

This pedal sounds awesome, all around, even pushed to the brink. I was drawn to this pedal because it was so versatile, but could be used in creative ways. This pedal is probably a little overkill if all you want is a Small Clone like effect, but if you're looking for something different and really high quality, then you should definitely check this out.

A few negatives, though. It's a bit noisy. On extreme settings you can hear the effect, swirling your guitar hum / noise. Nothing too bad, but if you're using high gain settings, on your amp, you might want some kind of noise gate. It doesn't run on batteries, you can only use a 9V power supply. It's expensive at $275, this pedal is not cheap, but it is handmade and the customer service is great. I had a few questions about the pedal and the owner got back to me within hours of emailing him. Finally, this pedal, according to their website, has been discontinued. But I got mine on eBay and it's another way to save money.

Overall this pedal is one of my favorites and it's got to be one of the best chorus pedals around, for versatility and quality. Go check it out, if you like creative, great sounding effects.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search