Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Pearl Free Floating Snare System

This review is mainly for the free floating system it's self as the shells are interchangeable.

I'm not particularly keen on Pearls drums the don't really have the sound I like although they are top quality drums it's just my taste. The FFS snare is something else though. I have the original version with a different throw off the new one has a low profile throw of and a stronger chasis.

I start with a review on the brass 4" shell I think it is anyway it's the smallest shell pearl do. This shell has what I what say has the attack of a steel snare but slightly darker without the metallic ring you get with steel and more of a bell ring it's a different flavor to steel it also has more of a textured thicker tone.

The free floating system the original has lockable setting for every ajustable bolt use m4 allen bolts so once it's locked you wires won't be loosening up if you been giving the beans for a couple hours. The cast hoops give the rimshot a super loud attack. Every free floater I've heard is notoriously loud and piercing but is one of the most articulate and sensitive snares for ghost notes. They cut excellently through loud guitars and project un like any other snare drum I've heard. The best about the snare is because they wear so popular in the late 80's and 90's they're second ones every and they go for a reasonable price.

Another plus with snare is the ability to swap out shell materials and sizes you can go up to 5" on snare depth if you have the piccolo chasis you just use longer nuts to reach the lugs. Because there's no holes in the snare at all and only 1 side has a bearing edge getting custo shells made is extremely cheap I had a 21 ply maple 3.5 inch deep shell made by Highwood Drums for £45 incl postage that's just crazy.

These snare are a really players snare they just feel good to play. I can't recommend having one of these snare enough.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search