Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
CTS McCon-O-Pot Potentiometer Wah Pot

I stumbled upon this small piece of kit when I was trawling the internet to find a replacement pot for my Vintage Crybaby Wah Pedal.
The main brand replacement pot was getting mixed reviews that didn't inspire much confidence and then I spotted this product.
It was at a much cheaper price point and the guy who'd designed and built it seemed to know his stuff and then some. I checked out the Youtube clips of his own brand custom wah and it sounded phenomenal. So I thought I'd give one of his pots a try.
Jeezus frikkin Christ!
There it was!
That sound I've been trying to get back since I made the mistake of selling my vintage Crybaby when in '98 I 'upgraded' to a new multi setting Crybaby 535Q and foolishly sold my old one!
I'd recently I managed to find myself a replacement early 70's Jen Crybaby wah but the pot was scratchy and even when cleaned still wouldn't produce 'that' sound that I'd gotten so easily with my original vintage Crybaby.
At least that was until I ordered a replacement pot from McCon-o-wah.
Twenty minutes with a soldering iron, screw driver and pair of pliers spent swapping out the old pot with the new and wow!
Just WOW! (or should I say 'WAH' )
Totally beyond words how much difference this has made to the sound and responsiveness of my pedal.
The physical travel on the old pedal is quite limited, but the new pot seems to find enough space within that small rotation to squeeze out every frequency required.
I can suddenly get all those Hendrixy sounds as well as a close approximation of the Wah tone on Bread's Guitar Man.
I've finally got back THAT sound.
The one that I was starting to believe was just part of my imagination. A case of things from the past merely seeming better. However, this is not a case of The Way We Were, this is the way it still is.
Wonderful.
Also, what the photo does not show is that the pot is supplied with a black rubber cap to help keep dirt out but which is easily removable if it does need cleaning.
I realise that this review may not be as exciting to some people as some new, highly esoteric, all singing all dancing, gasoline and valve powered Neve channel strip with a Steam Punk design ethic, but in my experience, it's often the small things that make the biggest difference to our lives
I shall be recommending this product to anyone and everyone I know, or meet who uses a wah.
Oh and did I mention, having exchanged a few emails with Michael McConachie I have found him to be an incredibly helpful and friendly chap. And this is after I made my purchase, so it's not like he was trying to sell me anything!
I would have given this product straight 10s across the board, but how many features can a tone pot really have? I scored it more than a 1 because I figure that getting that much tone, putting that much design and supplying the rubber dust cap are quite a few features for such a simple bit of kit.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search