Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Sennheiser HD25-1 II

4.25 4.25 (8 Reviews)
Closed-back headphones perfect for studio and portable use.
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
More information about Sennheiser HD25-1 II

< >

Published by tablo on 22nd December 2011
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Sennheiser HD25-1 II

I bought these for $129.95 from Amazon.com. I owned Shure SRH750DJs before this, but found them very uncomfortable due to high clamping force and the headband which becomes flat upon wearing.

Sound quality is excellent. The sound is well-balanced with a slight reduction in midrange emphasis, have good clarity and detail, and are quite transparent when it comes to sources. The bass is tight and accurate. These are very comfortable, since they are very light. They almost feel like toys. Not only these headphones are good for studio use, they're the perfect portable headphones too. You see a LOT of DJs and cameraman/audio staff using these headphones.

Pros: Tight bass
Detailed sound
Comfortable, very light
Cable is not ridiculously long
Isolate well

Cons: Uncomfortable when using the headphones with glasses on; the problem can be fixed by having your glasses' legs sit a bit above your ears.
A bit pricey at normal price
By bxt403 on 23rd December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
2 out of 5
Overall: 3.75 3.75
Great sounding headphones with a catch

These headphones are designed to have replaceable parts. The cable can be replaced to shorter or longer lengths (and even barrel or L connectors) and practically every piece is supposed to be user replaceable.

Imagine my surprise when one side crapped out on me- and after having to special order a new cable (which took about a month to arrive from Europe)- it turned out that the actual capsule needed replacing. After having no luck (or interest, it seemed) in being able to get any salesperson at the local Long & McQuade to follow-up on getting the part ordered, I went on-line and only seemed to find replacement capsules through Europe. With shipping it would likely cost almost as much as getting a new set of phones in North America; which is what I ended up doing.

The sound quality is great and the headphones have good isolation. It's nice that the cable can be replaced (I changed it once before the capsule crapped out). The cable seems to be easier to get but if you plan on getting any other part for the headphones (and are outside Europe)- you're probably better off buying a whole new set of headphones. The saving grace is that, as long as the same capsule doesn't crap out, I can gut the old set to keep the new ones running. In hindsight I wouldn't have bought these headphones if I could spend a bit more money and get a set of headphones that were more durable and had replacement parts I could easily order.
By doorknocker on 23rd December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
3 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 3.25 3.25
I agree with most of the points said above, these headphones sound great, especially so for live tracking and louder sources. For more subtle tasks like say overdubbing acoustic guitar there might be a tad too much bottom end but I quickly got used to this for the advantage of excellent isolation.

In terms of comfort I find the HD25-1 II 'o.k' but rather difficult to adjust to your own needs because of the relatively small size of the cans. Maybe others don't feel that way as I'm a certified 'headphone neurotic'......

The main drawback for me though is the cable length, a joke to be honest! I just can't understand how a manufacter can do this for a supposedly professional product. Of course you can use extension cables but in my experience this is causing lots of problems with dropouts and it's a PITA in general. I had a tech change the cables on all my HD-25s (I have 5 pairs of them) but I realize that the cable he chose is not ideal and has a tendendency for the 'spaghetti syndrom'.

EDIT: Thanks to the reviewer above, I just learned that Sennheiser actually sells longer replacement cables for the HD-25 line. But watch out for the price Sennheiser HD 25 SP Ersatzkabel 3,5 mm

CONCLUSION: If these cans were a bit more flexible to set up and would come with a generous cable length it would be a killer product.

Even with these reservations these are basically the only headphones I use in my studio and I had drummers show up with their own cans eventually prefering them for their sound and excellent isolation.

ADDENDUM: Please be aware that there is a whole line of 'HD-25' models that Sennheiser offers at different price points. So be sure to get the ones you really want and yes, the labeling is confusing. (Why not call the 'Basic Edition' say HD-24 or something?)
By azarat on 23rd December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
I thought I would share my view on these cans as well.

I replaced these with Technics RP-DH1200, which had served me quite well for a few years, however these where quite heavy, and damn, it's so nice that these cans are much more light compared to the Technics. And even though these are quite lightweight they still feel very solid and the build quality is great. Every part is replaceable so if something should happen you don’t need to go out and buy a whole new set.

I mainly use the cans for DJing, but also a bit for producing, and while the sound quality is probably isn't the for studio use, it is quite nice. The detail in these cans are pretty impressive, the bass is nice, but not overpowering, and the highs are great, the mids are pretty decent too. The sound quality does seem to be a step up compared to my Technics.

Now one of the most important things for me is the isolation as I use these for DJing in clubs, and these cans do it pretty damn well! Quite a lot better than the Technics I actually didn't expect such a big jump on this.

Regarding the cable as mentioned in the reviews above. Well I bought the HD25-C II version, which is the exact same version as the HD25-1 II with one difference, that is the cable. This version comes with a coiled cable, still 3 meters, but as it’s coiled you can actually extend it quite a bit over the 3 meters, and this is awesome, as you don’t have to take them off all the time when finding your records or what not in the DJ booth.

Comfort on these are quite good, and I have no problems using these for a few hours, however as with any cans I do get tired of having them on for an extensive period of time, but I haven’t tired any headphones that doesn’t do that.

The headphones come with a small bag for transporting the headphones and to be honest on this point I am quite disappointed. The quality of the bag is not as good as I would have expected, it’s very thin, and you might as well not use it. Another thing is that the Left and Right icon is placed on the cables and these are very tiny! They are almost impossible to find. Of course this is not very important as you only really need to find it once but come on.

Otherwise very happy with them, great sound, great comfort, amazing isolation and they are very light while still having a high build quality.
By tomwatson on 27th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
Great headphones for DJs but don't expect to be able to mix a song with them.

These headphones are great for specific purposes.

They are well respected by DJs around the country for DJing. Why? Because they have excellent isolation and cut out a huge amount of outside noise so if you're DJ in a noisy club, you can hear your headphones properly. They also have a very large amount of bass and subs which is important for DJs to hear when mixing live.

If you are thinking of buying them for mixing on in the studio, forget about it. The same big bass that is good for DJs will throw off your mix and make it hard to hear what you are doing properly. They don't have a flat frequency response which is what a monitor speaker should have and what you might think a monitor headphone would have. Even using them for singers or other musos in a studio would be a problem if you can't roll of the bass on your headphone preamp or desk because that bass is going to bleed back into the mic.

So they are good for DJing but not much else. There are other isolation headphones on the market with a flatter frequency response in a similar price range like the AKG K271
By neilneil on 10th January 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Sennheiser HD25-1 II

I Recently bought these headphones for live sound to use instead of my Beyerdynamic DT770's. They are comfy on me and can easily cope with the high SPL's i need as i wear moulded earplugs after the first song. The sound is fairly well balanced, I am happy to eq and tweak signals even kick drums and basses confidently on these. They are also extremely robust and every part is replaceable.

Recording wise, I've been using them a lot whilst editing as they give me a really close-in, up-front sound. Clicks, pops, background noise and low end rumble are so easy to hear. I obviously prefer mixing on monitors, but we all have those times when we have to keep it down for our neighbours and partners. In this case i prefer a set of headphones with a bit more apparent space between the sound source and my eardum (like DT770's). But i really do enjoy the isolation and quality of the HD25's.

Excellent live sound headphones (and i presume DJ headphones given their massive following in that area!). Good mid priced studio headphones, really depends whether you like an up front sound or a pair with more space (I like both for different things).

N
By dylanmelody on 17th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Sennheiser HD25-1 II Headphones

One of the best headphones out there for the price. Affordable and perfect for both listening, due to good outside noise blocking, and good enough for rough mixing when away from monitors. They do not seem to boost or attenuate any frequencies too extremenly, aside from the fact that everything that comes out of them seems to have a crystal clear polish. All of it's parts are replaceable giving it a 10/10 for features. They are robust and comfortable and because they aren't huge like other headphones of this quality, therefor they look great too.
By soundmark on 2nd April 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
HMD25 Sennheisers

The headphone work incredibly well in noisy environments. They are punchy and get you focusing on the midrange sound very quickly. They are punchy too.
They are not good for you if isolation is a problem. You will be in your own little world with these cans.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search