Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
Yamaha HS50

Possibly the most cost effective monitors one can buy. They are brutally honest, never afraid to point out all of your flaws in front of your clients. They tell no lies, and with a sub, and a well treated room they can be your best friend for fixing your mixes. Maybe not the most fun system for personal listening, but if you like making killer mixes, than these are for you
By Gear Queer on 15th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Great Monitors

The HS50's have a nice stereo image and good clarity and separation. I really improved my mixing skills while using these monitors. I agree they are revealing. Thats what helped me raise the bar on my mixing style. I use them with an Apogee Rosetta 200, mogami cables, and put them on stands with auralex mo pads. I use them in a treated room. I use them with the HS sub too. I love mixing with them, and recommend them to anyone. My only complaint is that they sound a little harsh at loud volumes. The volume they get harsh at I would never mix at anyway though.
By Salivan on 20th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Amazing monitors!!

This is the best monitor I can think of that that price range! Sounds amazing, my mixes translate really well, it have an excellent stereo image, they are really revealing.

It have some really nice features, such as frequency cut, xlr and trs input (that is amazing for home studio guys who usually use maudio interfaces)...

Pretty easy to use, it is almost turn it on and listen.

NOTE: Everything I'm saying is based on listening to them on a well treated room with mopad under them!

So, why I gave it a seven on the sound quality ?

Well, it is because it get harsh when you turn the volume up. Sometimes I like, and it is needed to mix at loud volumes, but, if you do that on the HS50, it can get a bit harsh... Just like the guy before my stated.

About the bass, it is cool if you room is treated, if it is not, then the bass will probably sound boomy and will lack in definition (but I think every monitor would have a bad bass sounding in a not treated room)...

Conclusion: AWESOME for the price. No doubt it is my first choice for home studio if you want to save money.
By bubbakowalski on 20th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Yamaha HS50 Review

Yamaha has been known for making what many would consider THE studio standard for mixing with their ns10 monitors that have been around a very long time. The main reason for them being so utilized in studio setups is to me, mainly because of their BRUTAL honesty in sound and ability to translate that sound to nearly anywhere. Though the HS50s are a powered monitor, they keep with the "honesty" Yamaha is now known for in their studio applications.

Right on the Yamaha website it states "If your mixes sound good on these, they sound good anywhere". i couldn't agree more, although i think that statement should have a foot note that says "at medium to low mixing volume". Personally, when i mix i do it at VERY low levels, and these little bad boys always get the job done.

At their price point, I would highly recommend heading to wherever you can hear a pair if you are looking into getting some nice small active monitors. I WOULD recommend the HS80s though for hiphop, and if you want to have a more controlled bass in a non tuned room, adding a sub will help as well.

I record and mix a lot of rock and hard rock music, and these monitors allow for mixing rock WONDERFULLY. i can always get a nice, tight kick drum sound that doesnt interfere with the other low end in guitar and bass, and i have noticed these little guys REALLY show any artifacting in a mix and let you easily "tune" it out.

I dont think ANY studio monitor i have ever used that i would rate at a 10 in sound quality, have EVER had the ability to translate as well as a monitor that i would rate less than a 10 in sound quality. i give the HS50s an 8, because i feel they have a solid balance between good sound, and translatable sound. I mean in the end, lets face it, MOST of your average everyday Joe is listening to music in their car, or on their laptop, so having the hs50s can make your mixes come alive, assuming the performance and engineering is good or better. to have a few sets of varying monitors to a/b against can make the hs50s really shine as well.

Overall, i highly recommend the HS50, especially if you are a/b'ing with larger studio monitors, and i feel with these and a high end set of larger studio monitors, if your mix sounds bad, it ain't the monitors my friend, its you .
By pianodreams33 on 6th January 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
cost effective...Big time

I was lucky enough to pickup a second hand pair at a pawn shop for 200.
I make House music so I added a jbl sub to the setup. Non treated room...no mopads..bt nonetheless ...these speakers allow me to eq everything jst right because when I take a cd to the car or club...the translation is dynamite. they are really heavy and look cool too
By diylan on 6th January 2012
User review
Sound Quality
2 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
3 out of 5
Overall: 3.25 3.25
In the world of studio monitors there are two schools of thought:
1. Hi-fi - monitors designed to reproduce your sound with as much accuracy and detail as possible.
2. Reference - monitors that may not sound great, but mixes done on them have a tendency to translate well to other systems.

The Yamaha HS50Ms fall firmly into category #2. These monitors were designed and are marketed as a replacement/sucessor to the discontinued NS10s, the classic "if you mix on these it will translate well to anything" monitors.

The Good:
The HS50Ms do what they are supposed to do, they provide a reference point. They sound similar to NS10s, and like one would imagine can work well in the same setting. They're also reasonably priced.

The Bad:
These monitors lack any low end below about 80hz and sound downright harsh. I found them to be quite fatiguing on long sessions (at responsible volume levels).

My Advice:
Do not buy these as your only set of monitors. If you are looking to invest in one set of monitors embrace school of thought #1 - Hi-fi. Now this does not mean hike up your price range, just look for a set that has better (aka closer to flat) frequency response. See KRK, Event, M Audio, etc. for more options in the HS50M price range. I would only consider buying the HS50Ms as second pair for reference, but even then, if you want the NS10 thing buy some NS10s.

The pair of HS50Ms I owned lasted for about a year before I had had enough and sold them. I got some good use out of them, but if I could go back and do it all over again I would look at other similarly priced options.
By IM_ on 6th January 2012
User review
Sound Quality
2 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
Great rough speakers for editing (auto-tune, beat detective e.t.c..)
Even on the 100th listen you are listening to music, not sonics and this aspect makes them very close to NS10. Not their punch or stereo or whatever.

They are great for programming effects (reverbs or delays on certain spots/notes..)

I spent a lot of time working on these. Not to mention Berklee Mixing and mastering classes.

The low end is bullshit, but the mids are fine. They show the music from the contents point. When you like your editing on them - you'll like it on any speakers. I also fell like I'm not over-editing on them, it's not getting too small and mechanic.

All in all best speakers in their price range.
By CurseesConnect on 15th January 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
I bought the Yamaha HS50M about six months ago. It has been a great addition to my small home setup since. Here are the details:

Sound Quality:

Some people will complain that these speakers are thin and ear fatiguing. They are not wrong, however, these are REFERENCE monitors, implying that they will display the errors in your mix. They should be used at low-moderate volumes. They are unforgiving if your mix is bad. That is why they are so useful. My mixes got from good to better with these and that is what you want, right?

Ease of use:

Not much to say here since they are powered. Turn them on and listen.

Features:

There are many features on the back to taylor the frequency response as you like. I push the mids and highs a lot to show me if I have mixed too bright. Also, if your mix has lots of 2K frequencies, you will hear them, which I think is great.

Bang for buck:

I believe these a priced correctly. They could be priced cheaper since they are made in China and some other brand models are priced very competitively, but as for a mixing tool, I think they are worth the price. However, you should always try before you buy or take advantage of the return policy at the store if you are not satisfied with them.
By klapaucius on 28th June 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
Incredible monitors for the price.The best bang for buck you can get if you want to buy monitors.

Pros:
Awesome speakers for recording voices.They reveal all the flaws,and noises that other expensive monitors hide.
Lots of features.
Awesome tools for mixing.
Incredible translation.

Cons:
It takes time until you get used with how this sound on lower frequencies.Personally it took me a month,but now I can mix only on them even on low frequencies.My secret is that i touch the woofers with my hand and feel what's happenin'.When i open my Event TR 8's wich have a much better low-frequency response i hear exactly what i felt with the yammys.
By creative69 on 15th November 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Amazing!

Lets forget the snobbery for a minute and look at monitors as a tool for mixing.
These little beauties are amazingly revealing and detailed and so comfortable to listen to for long hours.
Yamaha has given us an updated NS10 for a bargain price, I dont think people realize and are still purchasing secondhand NS10's!
The mixes on these translate superbly once you've mastered them.
By mequaz on 20th September 2013
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
3 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
ZEN Pro Audio Mod.

Im thought about posting this review as a diff categorty but i figured id post it here. I never owned the unmodded version, but i have heard them in other studios. I wont waste my time on sharing my thoughts on the orignials everyone above has already done that. This is about the modded version.

Lets get one thing straight, even with the mod they don't have a great low end response. They are 5"s for crying out loud so i didnt expect them to sound like subs, BUT they have a punch to them that was very suprising. I refrenced Rhinana, Drake, and Wale's albums on these and instantly heard a 3D quality to the music. I heard instruments i hadnt heard before and i also felt the music a lilttle more. The stero image on these things is amazing. They didnt make the music sound any better, more so let me know how good the music really sounded.

SO i went back and listened to my own mixes and i told myself to just listen, but i couldnt help to start tweaking. I could hear what was missing instantly.
i tweaked one mix and rendered it in Reaper to an .mp3. Played it in the car, on the ipod and the ipod radio. IT TRANSLATED. I was kind of shocked. Im not a frequency chart response guy and number cruchner. My ears will tell me what i need to know. I can honestly say the mod gives me the confidence to know that what im hearing is what it is really going on. So far the mixes i have done have translated well. If you have Yamaha HS50s or 80s you should get the mod. its like your getting a whole new monitor.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search