CAD Equitek E100S

4.65 4.65 (3 Reviews)
Great workhorse mic and great no matter what price.
CAD Equitek E100S

Published by mequaz on 8th December 2011
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 5 5
CAD Equitek E100S

The CAD E100s is an American made large supercardioid condensor microphone. It has 2 switches on the front of the mic. One is a 80Hz hi-pass filter and the other a 10dB pad. Comes in a great case. (looks good in the studio ) and has its own shock mount. It has a flat frequency response from 40Hz to 4kHz and then rises 4dB 4kHz and about 12kHz. It has a published self?noise floor of 3.7dBA.

On to the real world application. I tested this out on male and female vocals (mainley what i track in my studio) Lets just get this out the way: THIS MIC IS QUIET. Super quiet. Most of us with condensor mics are use to plugging in mics and hearing some buzz, hiss, something. I plugged this in and didint say a word so i heard nothing. First testing into a GA Pre-73 into mbox3. I must say that this thing sounds big. The lack of noise and just vocal brought out the vocal a touch more. With the hi-pass switch engaged it helped get rid of the bass that would not be needed in a mix anyway. And it is very smooth. Its not harsh or brittle. I have a mxl v67g and mxl Genises to compare. The v67 is great for my voice but the e100s is even better due to its smooth nature. Its not a bright mic. But its not dark either, its smooth. The highs are present but not piercing. The MXL Genisis is very clear on the bright side of things. But compared to the e100s its noisy. The noise diffierence is night and day. Not saying the Genisis is too noisy but the e100s is so quiet like i said you have to check if its plugged in.

While testing female vocals the "smoothness" of the E100s mic shines. I beilve the slight bump in the 4-12khz range might be where this benefit comes from. This mic just has this forward charcteristic about it. And the supercardoid pattern is very tight. A step to the left or right can change the sound of what you get completley. Directly in front of the capsule about 6 inches away gives you a very clear smooth sound.

I didnt use the -10 pad feature beacause im just using vocals, so i cant atest to that feature much. But what i can say is this is the best mic for mine and the female vocalist i work with that i have ever heard. Im not saying its the worlds greatest mic. Im saying its the best for the two sources ive tried it on. (I have borrowed and rented other mics outside for both my vocals and my female client other than those i mentioned, so yes i do have other refrences to go by. Neumann, AKG, Blue, and Rode, etc.) And i will go so far as to say its hands down the quietst mic i have ever heard. The CAD E100s is a stellar mic. PERIOD. not for its price range. Just a awesome mic. Id recommend it to anyone no matter what they use.
By jordanvoth on 13th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.75 4.75
I've had this mic for years and only until I spent several thousand on an expensive Neumann was this mic outdone. Not to say there aren't mics under a thousand dollars that aren't on par with the E100S, but I'm very confident in saying that there are none under $500 that are going to do what this mic does. I've used this mic on drums, guitar cabs, acoustics and in some instances it still beats out my more expensive vocal mics. Buy two, they're cheap enough.
By JoFo on 17th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
Great mic, Pad could be better

This is a great mic. I don't have too much to add to the previous reviews, as for the price it's a very versatile mic that can't be beat. However, it's output is hot. The -10db pad doesn't quite cut it for drums. I can't imagine it would be enough in front of a guitar amp or a honkin Tenor Sax player either.
I've used it in front of the Kick drum and also as a bottom snare mic. In both applications it sounds excellent. Out in front of a Jazz kick drum it's perfect. I think it even sounds better (on certain drums) than my Bock 195 on kick. That is saying a lot! But again, I need to enable both the -10db pad on the mic and a pad on the mic pre for any miking of drums as it is just too hot. If they had put a -20db pad on the mic itself it would have been perfect, as a lot of nice pre's seem to be missing pads nowadays (ie, Great River, True Systems Precision 8 etc etc) so I have to pick which mic pre I use it with.

Also, I can't say it's my favorite Vocal mic. I admit I have not tried it with many vocalists as I seem to have better (and more expensive) options for that. However when I have I usually picked something else. But if you are on a budget it would be perfectly fine, and for various studio duties and instruments it's a great all round mic.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search