Blue Bluebird
Blue Microphones Bluebird

Blue Microphones Bluebird

4 4 (20 Reviews)
At a low price with a less bright overtone that its competitors, the Blue Bluebird is definitely a mic for more vintage mic lovers to check out.
Blue Bluebird
More information about Blue Microphones Bluebird

< >

Published by MikeTSH on 5th December 2011
User Review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 3.75 3.75
Blue Bluebird

Build

The body of the Blue Bluebird is beautifully constructed, with a sleek silver neck and bottom leading to both the XLR connectors and microphone capsule, with the main body of the microphone colored blue with a rough finish.

Sound

The Blue Bluebird has a wonderfully old-school sounding capsule, with less high end than many of similar prices condencer mics. It seems to be a common trend within the low-budget microphone manufacturing community at the moment to add as much high end response to their microphones as possible, which often leaves the microphones sounding thin, brittle and down-right cheap. The Bluebird, however, is a great exception to the rule, with a more vintage-style offering being what Blue have gone for.

Features

The BLUE Bluebird is hardly featured packed - in fact, far from it. As a cardioid (almost hyper-cardioid) microphone with no roll off or pad features, it may deter a few potential buyers. However, for the price, this definitely out-ranks its competitors in the bang for your buck department.

BLUE are known for their offbeat designs and mostly source-specific microphones. However, over the past few years the Bluebird has shown to be a particularly versatile microphone, a great addition to your microphone cabinet and a welcome addition to the BLUE line of microphones.
By berkleystudios on 6th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 4.25
This mic is a must have in any mic locker. Its mid-range is fantastic and reacts very well on acoustic guitars and male vocals. it picks up just enough low end so that does not make sound muddy but gives it some strength, also this mic has crystal clear highs but at the same time does not have overpowering sibilance. It also has fantastic off axis rejection, which comes in handy a lot because my tracking room is also my control room. this mic can be used on a multitude of sources and cuts through the mix naturally which i couldnt ask more for. Blue got it right with this one.

One thing Blue did not get right was the shock mount however. the turning key for iy broke the first time i pulled it out of the box and i have since had to replace it with an aftermarket one. but that way an easy fix. only negative side about this mic is that it is not multi-pattern. but dont let that stop you. you will find that you use this mic more often than you might think. i know i do.
By buford on 6th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Packs a punch

This thing is awesome. I bought one off a friend a while back and used it as my go-to mic for my small home studio setup. I used this thing on everything from guitar and vocals to a room mic for a drum kit. When you find the sweet spot with this mic it really sounds amazing. I placed this baby about 15' in front of a drum kit, right where the punch really smacked me in the face. I ended up carving out the low end on the Kick mic to leave room for the lows that I picked up with the Bluebird. What a bombastic sound!

Unfortunately someone jacked my microphones and when I rebuilt my arsenal I opted for the higher-priced (and well renowned) Baby Bottle. I don't regret the purchase, but I definitely miss having the Bluebird. It's a much more versatile mic than the BB and for the price you really can't beat the quality. Fairly flat response, and definitely more "transparent" than the Baby Bottle. Less coloration and a more natural and crisp delivery of the sound source.

It get's a 5 for features because, obviously, you're buying a strictly cardioid microphone with no bells and whistles (no HPF or built in Pad)
By foolhardy on 6th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4 4
One of the very few good mics under $300

The Blue Bluebird is a very decent mic. It's highs are more pronounced than another mic with a flat frequency response. This is neither a pro nor a con. Sometimes I want the vox to be very bright, so I'll use the Bluebird. It also makes a good over-the-shoulder mic for recording acoustic guitar.

I have no "cons", but one semi-negative comment I have on the mic is that it breaks easily. Blue should reinforce the tiny "neck" better. Another wish is that it had a low cut shoulder/roll-off switch on it. Mics $300 and above can start to have those features on them and it would be nice to have that on a mic that I use for grabbing highs.

Overall, if it were stolen, I'd probably buy again because it is the best mic under $300 that I've found and quite versatile if you need to pick up highs.
By shuhr123 on 9th December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Microphones Blue Bluebird

I’m not going to waste your time with all the spec you can look those up yourself. When I was looking for my go to vocal microphone for my voice I tended to get mics that were either very good with highs or very good with lows but for those males who have mid/tenor to alto voice and mildly sibilant at times it is hard to get a mic that doesn’t expose the shrillness of the upper mid to high range as well as exposing the sibilance. However for me, this mic did the trick. As far as character this mic does not color the sound very much it is very clean. I have learned that this pretty much gives you a blank canvas to do whatever you want with the sound. Also especially with vocals they boost in presence quality that allows it to cut through the mix better then my AT-4040. I didn’t have to put much gain on my preamp as the mic is pretty well driven on low and it good for studios that do not have the best acoustic condition as it has extremely low self noise. Also I experimented around with position and because of the detailed mid response of the mic it also provides and very flattering proximity effect that is smooth that is good for males with higher voices As far as other features the shock mount I received with mine was not very durable and I ended up having to use on from my AT mics. Also there is no dedicated high pass filter but I didn’t find this a deal breaker. Since most of my application was mostly male vocals I can’t really comment on much else but this mic has very detailed mid and is a go to for any males seeking more detail in the mids and taming sibilance while giving an uncolored sound that you can play around with.
By Vcru on 30th January 2012
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
So I received this microphone as a gift and it has been put to phenomenal use. This microphone has been used from acoustic guitar, to female and male vocals, to rap, and as a plain old room microphone. It is one of the most versatile microphones I have used. It is a very clear microphone and has been my go to for all the above applications.
Great sensitivity allows me to get a decent working distance from the mic. Voices have a real presence to them, like you are talking right into someone's ear. Outstanding midrange, good lows and the highs are clean without carrying over into the brittle range. What more can you ask for?
The down side of this microphone was the shock mount that came with it. Thought it looks great and performs it is not sturdy enough for the weight of the mic. The bolt that controls the angle broke. It was not made to last. However, without a problem Blue was able to promptly send me a new one and the problem was solved. Since that I have had zero problems with this lovely mic. The other thing is that the pop filter that comes with it is pretty useless for most artists that I have worked for but I believe that is expected with microphones. Overall, I would definitely recommend this microphone!
By modok on 29th February 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Great versatile mic for a small studio

In my small homestudio, my Bluebird mic is my go to mic for just about everything. I have a fairly full baritone voice, but sing across a wide range, and wanted a mic that would capture the nuances of my performance without breaking the bank. The Bluebird performs admirably in this regard. The bonus is that it makes everything else sound great too. I use it to record acoustic guitar and mandolin, and they really jump out of the mix. I do find that I have to experiment with mic placement to get the full-bodied sound I'm after, but that is to be expected. For an under $300 mic, I am very happy.

On the downside is something I've found to be true on other Blue's as well, which is the flimsy shockmount. It seems downright impossible to get it tight enough. I broke the key off on another Blue mic trying to get it tight enough, so I've been careful here not to do the same. This is one case where looks did indeed come at the cost of functionality.

Another thing that would have been nice would have been some some high or low pass filters but that is not a deal breaker at all, because I really like what I get out of the Bluebird and can always EQ to taste.
By JordansVoice on 29th February 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
3 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Blue Bluebird (American Made Model)

I bought my Blue Bluebird used from a band who used it to record an album. Unfortunately it was stored inside a house that was constantly filled with cigarette smoke. However, there doesn't seem to be any audible damage from residing in a smoking environment.

All that being said my model is the American made edition. I believe this microphone used to go for $500 when it was American made. The new Chinese Bluebird goes for only $300 now.

I am extremely pleased with the sound this microphone provides. I primarily use it for voice over work but have produced great results on acoustic guitar too. This microphone can really handle proximity effect well. I have some other microphones in this price range and they don't tend to handle a voice riding up on the microphone so well. The Bluebird has a nice punch and low end that compliments my voice greatly. For being a "cheaper" mic it doesn't sound too bright or shrill. It definitely does have some bight and crispness on the top end but it's mostly desirable.

Unfortunately the shockmount this microphone ships with is very low quality. I have to be honest here sorry. The adjustable handle has snapped off and the overall shockmount is just cheap and flimsy. What's even more disappointing is that a replacement shockmount is $80! Certainly not worth replacing.

With that being said the microphone itself is amazing for the price. I'm very satisfied with this microphone especially since I bought it used for only $150!
By Bcsteene on 2nd March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
3 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 3.5 3.5
Perfect for Acoustic Guitar

I got one of these as a package deal when I bought a focusrite ISA One. At first glance the microphone is pretty, it looks good, feels good, and looks really really cool. However, when I first tried it out I was sorely disappointed. It has a sharp spike in the high frequencies which I thought sounded terrible and a bit harsh on vocals, then I tried it out on an acoustic guitar. Placed 6 inches from the 12th fret slightly slanted towards the soundhole and it actually sounded really amazing. The guitar came out nice and clear and full sounding. I haven't tried this mic out yet on many other instruments as the highs are just too harsh sounding for my palette, but on acoustic guitar it really shines. It's now the only microphone I will use on acoustic guitar. Would I recommend this mic? Only if you get a deal on it, otherwise spend another $100 for an AKG C414 which will be much more usefull. (On a side note oktavamod does have a mod for this mic, but it's another $300, which you might as well spend that money on a $600-$700 microphone.)
By dfarness on 3rd March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Sound Quality: I used the Blue Bluebird as a vocal mic for a television show with acoustic solo artists. Each performer played an acoustic guitar while singing into the Blue Bluebird. Other mics were used for the guitars and they blended well with the vocal tracks. The Blue Bluebird sounded great and was able to adapt well to male and female singers. In some ways it acts more like a dynamic than a condenser in that it doesn't pick up unwanted room noise in an untreated room. This mic also works well on acoustic guitar. I have a friend who makes a living doing voice-overs and this is one of his "go to" mics.

Ease of use: Adjusting the shock mount can sometimes be awkward. Attaching and adjusting the wind screen can be awkward.

Features: Another complaint is that the wooden box provided, while O.K. For storing in your home studio, is not road worthy. A simple case like the one provided by the Heil PR-40, while not as unique, would be much more practical in the long run.

Bang for the buck: I paid $200 for this mic when it was a Musicians Friend “deal of the day”. A bargain in my opinion.
By RoyalRichmen on 5th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
2 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Overall: 3 3
would I buy it again - probably yes!

I searched for a mic that was under 300€. I read some reviews and finally bought the Blue Bluebird. Sonic Wise I was pretty happy the first month. Recorded mostly Acoustic Guitar and Male Vocals. The First Female Vocal Recording made it clear, that in most cases, I will not use it again for female singers. It was too harsh in the top end. On some Female Vocals the mic sound to me, like the high end distorted. So, sometimes I try it for women but in most cases it don´t work.
Also the Shockmount is, as others stated as well, not very good. I broke mine 3 to 4 times and my new one also broke. I will not renewed it again.
But the mic has it strength. I like it a lot on acoustic guitars. The low end is nice and also the highs are sweet. On Male Vocals some Sssses may pop out, which I get rid of with the Sonnox Supressor. So, I would probably buy this mic again.
By trustsound on 17th March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
5 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Great look

In my opinion one of the best looking microphones, was never "impressed" by the microphone, I think because it was pretty transparent. But it lacked low end and had something kind of a harsh high end, It was still a great mic but at the price range I've found alot smoother microphones, I'd still recommend it for a backup or secondary microphone just not a go to mic.
By Jared Paul on 21st March 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Versatile LDC at a great price. Looks good, sounds good. I have owned one for years and used it on almost every project I’ve recorded.

My favorite uses for the Bluebird:
-Drumkit front, a few feet out, a few feet up, pointed somewhat down toward the kick. Adds a lot of life to the kit.
-Male or female vocalists. As long as they’re not too sibilant—for some performers the presence/high-end boost can be a little much.
-Medium-bright acoustic guitars, above the player’s head, especially in conjunction with an SDC or two in front.
-Bass cabinets, on-axis with the cone and about 3-4 inches from the grill.
-Guitar cabinets when capturing a smooth, clean tone.
-Room mic for just about anything.

Sources I have been less pleased using the Bluebird on have been saxophone, violin, very bright acoustic guitars, and sibilant singers/rappers.

Also, as others have mentioned, the shockmount that comes with it is garbage. They have changed it for the better; a friend of mine has a newer Bluebird that is better than the one mine came with, but it’s still not great.

Overall, a very useful microphone to own, and particularly if you’re just beginning to build your collection its versatility comes in handy often.
By PlanckMusic on 2nd December 2012
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Excellent microphone. Perfect for vocals. Run through a good pre-amp, it hits the spot. We use this mic all the time in the studio. Just does the job very well. Satisfying to record with and very reliable. Recommended.

--------------------
www.planckmusic.co.uk
www.facebook.com/weareplanckmusic
By eby132409 on 4th November 2013
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Versatile Microphone

Aesthetics: The blue bluebird is an awesome looking microphone. With its baby blue satin finish, capsule on the top, included pop filter and shock mount, this thing looks incredible

Sound quality: This mic sounds great in particular applications. It works best for me on female vocals, higher male vocals, as a room mic and acoustic stringed instruments. The clarity and crispness of this mic really adds a sparkle to the recording. It does lack in low end so bassy voices/instruments are not recommended.

Ease of Use: This mic is very easy to set up and gain stage, however I find that attaching the pop-filter can be tedious and if I am tightening the shock mount I must twist the actual shock mount to make it tight.

Features: The pop filter is cool although it really doesn't do anything and the shock mount works but it was designed poorly. There are no other effects on the mic, what you see is what you get.

Bang for Buck: If you understand the limitations as well as the assets of this mic, it is a great tool in your locker. Most people who decide to sell the Bluebird for the baby bottle wish they never did! As with any mic a good EQ is essential and with this one it can really make it shine. I will be using this microphone for a long time to come.
By Alainc on 25th January 2014
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
2 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
Blue Bluebird

I got this mic couple years ago, and frankly, it didn't see much light.

It is a good mic by all means, works best on vocals, but it just lacks a sheen, a halo that make a good mic great. Its mids are good, quite forward. Lacking a bit in the lows and could be a little too bright in the his if gain is turned up.

I sold it and since got a kiwi and at4050. Both are formidable performers. I'd recommend baby bottle as well, which is a small step up in price, but huge step up in performance
By PassionFlower on 31st January 2014
User review
Sound Quality
3 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
3 out of 5
Overall: 3.25 3.25
It's an ok mic but not an allround workhorse

I bought this as an upgrade for my home studio. I had read good reviews, some from people I trust. Also, it is a really cool looking microphone and visual appearance is important to me.

It's a really straight forward mic without any configuration options.
This thing is a beauty and the finish is nice. The build quality seems ok on mine but I've heard that it's rather fragile so I think you need to be pretty careful with it. The shockmount works but it's not fantastic.
The pop-shield while looking really cool doesn't work very well. Be prepared to use a regular one.

All very well for a mic in this price range. But how does it sound?

To be honest, this was a huge disappointment. It sounds like I would expect from an OEM mic at third the price. Very plain, compact and dare I say cheap sound without much details. It sound bright and dirty.

Now don't get me wrong it truly has its uses. It works very well for male rock vocals or even some lo-fi country style vox. It will make any vocalist sound ok, even the less experienced ones. But it will not make a great vocalist shine, especially not female ones. I have used it on two excellent female singers and it sounded like crap both times to be honest.
The lack of details and dynamics, bright and somewhat harsh high end will work against a good vocalist in most situations.

BUT this can be a great mic in the right situation, there's no doubt about it. I've heard several recordings with it where it really suited the style. And it can sound great on acoustic guitars as well.
But it's not the allround workhorse that some reviewers make it up to be, so if you are thinking about making this your only mic in a home studio I would recommend against it.

And I get a feeling that you are paying a fair amount for the looks of this microphone. There are certainly better microphones for less money.

I have since I bought this tried several others in this price range and I would rather recommend something like the Rode NT2A which is much more versatile and better sounding for the price. I've also heard great things about the stuff over at OktavaMod, some of which can be had at the same price.

For me, the conclusion has been that I need to step it up another notch to really be satisfied. I'm probably spoiled by having worked with mid-high end microphones.
There are really great offerings for home studio work horse mics in this price range, but the Bluebird is not one of them in my opinion unless you care more about the looks than the sound. It would make a great addition to a larger mic collection however!

Had it been cheaper, I would have given it a better rating. But for being made in china at this price point it really should perform better.
By shreddersinc on 25th March 2014
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
4 out of 5
I bought this mic from Sweetwater Sound for $200 it was supposed to include a dynamic mic from blue worth about $90, I called them and they said it was an advertising mistake…Oh well, I decided to keep the mic.

The Appearance and build of this mic are impressive. Though I do have one gripe and that is the threads that mount to a mic stand were trashed. But luckily I took off that part of my at2020 and attached it to the shock mount along with the thumb screw and it worked perfectly. Also my at2020 fits nicely in the shock mount.

The sound of the mic came across as really bassy with a very narrow sweet spot. So I ended up doing part of a mike joly mod which was turning around the capsule and removing the fine mesh screen. It really opened up the sweet spot and rounded out the bass.

I think the looks of this mic are half it’s appeal…when a singer looks at an sm7b and the bluebird they think that pretty mic will make their voice sound marvelous. Which indeed it could if they have the right voice for this mic. Great marketing on blue’s part! Also their pop filter seems more like a nice aesthetic choice rather than a practical one.

This mic can sound good on acoustic guitar or the right singer. It will never be my go to mic, but it certainly is worth having in the cabinet for a mic that doesn’t sound like the rest and can be useful in the right situation.
By Gretsch 6120 on 28th March 2014
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
5 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
I’ve had this mic for almost 5 years now, and it’s still among my favorite in my mic locker. I would not describe it as bass heavy insomuch as scooped in the mids. It is on the bright side but not overly silibant or harsh. It is a fantastic drum OH mic. It also does a great job on male vocals and as a distant mic for amps or cabs….I can easily imagine it would be an exceptional room mic too given how well it’s performed for me as a distance mic in the past, although I’ve never used it for that application.

It’s noteworthy to mention this mic compares head to head with the Violet Black Doly, which I own and is supposedly identical to the older versions of the Blue Baby Bottle. The aforementioned costs considerably more, and while the Bluebird and Doly do not sound identical due to different capsule designs, they do share very similar qualities in proximity effect and coloration (i.e., I love both, but the truth is if you have one you really don’t need the other) The Doly/Baby Bottle is a little less scooped, but the Bluebird takes EQ very well, if you needed to bump the mids.

The bottom line is the Bluebird is good mic, period, but given its price point, it’s an exceptional mic because it covers so much ground and does so very well. It’s a high quality mic through and through. The build quality, aesthetics, and overall sound are topnotch at this price point. The truth is this is one of those mics, coupled with something like a sm57, one could easily record a full album and get professional results.

I would highly recommend this mic to anyone who doesn’t currently own a nice LDC of a similar make.

Chris
By radiospace on 7th April 2014
User review
Sound Quality
4 out of 5
Ease of use
2 out of 5
Features
3 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
I got a chance to try out a Bluebird for a day in my minimalist travel recording setup, so I thought I'd add my impressions for those who are considering this mic.

The first thing I'd say is that the basic quality of this microphone in terms of its sound is far beyond what one could reasonably expect for a $300 microphone. It has an extremely smooth sound, with few sibilance issues. It sounds very pro.

The mic has a very unusual tone to it -- it's extremely scooped in the high mids. You are left with a sound that has a lot of bass and some sizzle on top, without a lot of immediacy. I was routinely adding quite a bit of 2k with an EQ to acoustic guitar and vocal recordings to get a more natural, balanced sound from it. Nevertheless I'd probably rather do this than have to try to sculpt out those frequencies from a nasally sounding microphone.

For me the mic had one serious problem for my purposes -- the cardioid pattern is so open that it practically functions as an omnidirectional mic. In my untreated room, the results were unusable, with vastly too much room tone being picked up, even when singing into the mic from a couple of inches away. As a test I sang into the back of the mic and found that there was very little difference in terms of the amount of room being picked up (the signal just lost its sizzley frequencies).

Because this mic is so inexpensive I imagine a lot of people working in untreated low end rooms would consider it, and I would think twice about recommending it for that application. At least plan on investing in a reflexion filter or something to help control the very wide cardioid pattern if you are recording in a bedroom with this mic.

Even though I'm not going to buy a Bluebird right now I would definitely consider one in the future when I have access to a more professional room to record in, because it's a great microphone for the price.

I gave this microphone a poor "ease of use" score due to the flimsy shockmount which many users have reported breaking after a short time of use.

On the other hand, I found the included pop filter quite handy and effective, and a nice addition to this mic.
Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search