Login / Register

Lynx Aurora 16
Lynx Studio Technology: Aurora 16

Lynx Studio Technology: Aurora 16

4.5 4.5 (2 Reviews)
Even after 4 years on the market, the Lynx Aurora is still the best value for high end conversion.
Links to forum discussions about this product Lynx Aurora 16

Add Review
Subscribe

Published by Sean Sullivan on 2nd December 2011
User Review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Lynx Aurora 16

With a look as clean and slick as the sound, the Lynx Aurora line of the converters deliver high quality results at a moderate price. With unparalleled features and flexibility the Lynx Aurora is a suitable solution for professional audio facility and serious home enthusiast. Is portability a concern? The FireWire and USB expansion cards make hook up to laptops a cinch. Hoping to interface with Pro Tools HD? Lynx's HD card work flawlessly, even with the new HD Native card (what I'm using). There's even ADAT, MADI, and AES cards available, so no matter what type of system you are working with their a solution to make the Lynx Aurora converters work for you.

I would describe the sound as transparent, with amazing depth and clarity. In comparison to the Apogee Rosetta line, I would describe it a little thinner in the low-mids, but more euphoric in the top end. The Rosetta has a "tape" like hump in the low end, which some might prefer. I wouldn't describe it as better, just different.

The Rosetta is older technology, and more expensive with less feature, so for me it was a no-brainer to buy the Lynx Aurora. I don't for a second think I made a compromise. In fact, for what I do, the cleaner, clearer sound works better for me.

16 channels of A/D and D/A and 16 digital I/O for $3000 new? The Lynx Aurora 16 has no equal.
By shauli on 2nd December 2011
User review
Sound Quality
5 out of 5
Ease of use
4 out of 5
Features
4 out of 5
Bang for buck
5 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 4.5
Lynx Aurora 16 AD/DA

I could take the time and write about the "clean" sound of the Aurora 16, or how the precision of the clock makes my entire system "fall" into place. I could write about the converter's ability to connect to multiple systems using the add-on card or about the unit interface (software or hardware) that allows easy navigation of different options and meters. I could write about its sleek design or its extensive list of DAWs it can connect to. But that would only be half of the story -- it would only be about the pre-sale and usability of the unit. I choose to write about the other half, about the post-sale and customer service.

We work in a very demanding and professional setting, so it is extremely important that this one piece of gear -- essentially the "brain" of the studio -- functions perfectly ALL the time. In the unfortunate case your system goes down, you need that converter to keep a session going or risk hurting business. And this is where Lynx, maker of the Aurora, will shine. Reaching out to customer support and receiving a very knowledgeable response in a timely matter has a tremendous effect on your sanity, not to mention your income. Lynx was always there when I needed them and always gave me a prompt solution and helpful advice. Did I mention that it's all free? Don't hesitate to get the Aurora 16 for all the superior technical reasons, but be assured that you will not be left in the dark when it matters most.
Add Review Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search